How much to replace one microphone?

scoss

Reaction score
I've noticed I had some cracking from audio system. Interestingly it's only when my iPhone is connected through via the AMI. No crackling happens when the radio is playing.

When I blow on the drivers mic I can here the crackling/interference, which happens when the sunroof is open.

I don't get this when blowing on the right mic.

So does anyone know how much Audi cost to replace a mic?

I've noticed I had some cracking from audio system. Interestingly it's only when my iPhone is connected through via the AMI. No crackling happens when the radio is playing.

When I blow on the drivers mic I can here the crackling/interference, which happens when the sunroof is open.

I don't get this when blowing on the right mic.

So does anyone know how much Audi cost to replace a mic?

Can you post a pic of the mic in question is it built into the roof lighting ?

Can you post a pic of the mic in question is it built into the roof lighting ?

Not with car now. Both mic are 5 p in size and blend into the roof.

I'll take a pic of mine - thought they were ultrasonic sensors for the alarm.

Can you not get it replaced under warranty? Due to the location I imagine the headlining 'may' need to come out, unless it can all be done from 'below' (inside the cabin)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I think it's behind this panel to the rear of the light which should just unclip - strongly suspect the two round buttons to be alarm related and the mic to be behind one of the mesh grilles closer to the occupants head ...

IMG 3155

Reactions: azibux1
Thought I'd seen a small round one recessed in the headlining like the OP is describing... but just been out to double check and my 2016 is the same as your pic Rob

I think I must be thinking of another car

I think it's behind this panel to the rear of the light which should just unclip - strongly suspect the two round buttons to be alarm related and the mic to be behind one of the mesh grilles closer to the occupants head ...

View attachment 121801

I've got a different light but this looks like mine. First time I've seen a photo with the flash showing all the mics etc. So what would this be to replace the right side?

When I had my 8P I replaced the light unit with the LED upgrade the light console unclipped from the headlining then it was a case of disconnecting mic and power cables to the lights and clipping the mic itself which was the size of an oxo cube into the new unit.

I'm also pretty sure that the mic will be on drivers side so the other mesh on LHS is blank.

I suspect Audi will caharge half hour labour and the cost of a mic so unless you're under warranty £60 minimum would be my guess.

Part Number should be 8X2 035 711 C but make sure you double check. Trade price seems to be £45.17inc VAT today. You will need to add "Audi Tax" to that so around £60 give or take a few £'s.

Edit: Workshop diagram attached:

Screen Shot 2017 04 06 at 204126

Last edited:
Reactions: TimWills28 and Rob2k68
When I had my 8P I replaced the light unit with the LED upgrade the light console unclipped from the headlining then it was a case of disconnecting mic and power cables to the lights and clipping the mic itself which was the size of an oxo cube into the new unit.

I'm also pretty sure that the mic will be on drivers side so the other mesh on LHS is blank.

I suspect Audi will caharge half hour labour and the cost of a mic so unless you're under warranty £60 minimum would be my guess.

Ok thanks rob!

Is this quite rare that mics go? Don't understand why I get no issue with the radio on but only with the iPhone via AMI. Could having my panroof open at high speeds have caused this mic to break?

Ok thanks rob!

Is this quite rare that mics go? Don't understand why I get no issue with the radio on but only with the iPhone via AMI. Could having my panroof open at high speeds have caused this mic to break?

You're welcome ;o)

Not sure to be honest but given the nature of what they are I'd expect it's rare to have a failure no moving parts and all that. Are you connecting the phone to play music from it ? Is the cable correct ?

I have a similar setup to you but have just dumped all my MP3 on a 128Gb SD card I find it much better.

You're welcome ;o)

Not sure to be honest but given the nature of what they are I'd expect it's rare to have a failure no moving parts and all that. Are you connecting the phone to play music from it ? Is the cable correct ?

I have a similar setup to you but have just dumped all my MP3 on a 128Gb SD card I find it much better.

Yeah I've had the cable (new) for 4 weeks and it's been fine. Never had this issue. Funny how when I blow on the thing it make this noise. Hard to see how am AMI lead could affect the cars mircophone.

Oh use Apple Music so use the phone via AMI for better quality over BT.

The left hand microphone is solely for the B&O system, it allows B&O to monitor the audio within the cabin. I got a replacement from Mike the parts guy for around £40.

I wouldn't replace it before checking the contacts both in the roof and behind the stereo in the glovebox, it could also be a loose connection at the B&O amp under the passenger seat.

Reactions: DJAlix and Rob2k68
The left hand microphone is solely for the B&O system, it allows B&O to monitor the audio within the cabin. I got a replacement from Mike the parts guy for around £40.

I wouldn't replace it before checking the contacts both in the roof and behind the stereo in the glovebox, it could also be a loose connection at the B&O amp under the passenger seat.

I've got the car booked in for a week Wednesday. I'm baffled how this issue only arises when using the AMI lead. No noise at all when radio or DVD is in use.

I took my interior light panel off and followed @TimWills28 guide. very easy to do. his video is good as he shows you where to put pressure etc... I would have thought a cheap option would be to buy one from eBay then fit it, especially as you know thats the problem? Even if you have a different front light assembly im sure the principle is the same. Obviously if your in warranty then go to Audi.

Ebay part here, £38.99. 10mins fitting. Done! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-M...del:A3&hash=item1a24a7a2bd:g:8GcAAOSwopRYjG0e

Sorry I'm a bit under the weather so my head's not in the game.

If you have B&O you have a dual microphone installed with a cable that routes to the rear of the head unit then down to the B&O amp.

If you don't then it's just a single microphone on the right hand side and this goes to the rear of the head unit only.

My guess is that the wire at the back of the head unit is the source of the problem
Capture