How much should i be paying for fitting 35mm lowering springs?

Djayswitch

Reaction score
Gents, got quoted 480 quid including alignment by a local garage to fit 4 H&R 35mm springs to my B8.5 S5.....does this sound right? i was thinking 200 max surely!?

I already have the springs btw so they are only fitting...

I paid £160 with no alignment, just got ETS to do that for £70

Reactions: Djayswitch
A Mobile mechanic, but I got quoted the same price from CJ Mechanical in Nottingham

They most likely know about the pinch bolt that holds the front top arms in place and just not interested in touching the job.

A Mobile mechanic, but I got quoted the same price from CJ Mechanical in Nottingham

Nottingham must be cheaper than Norwich then cos im being quoted between 300 and 480 at the moment....******* springs cost me 180 quid lol

Tbh it is not that difficult a job, but there are a few things that can go wrong such as the pinch bolt. I suspect you are getting the “we don’t want the job” prices

Whats this “pinch” bolt every1 is scared of?

a garage should not be scared of changing shocks and springs. It’s a job that can be done on the drive

You can do the fronts without removing the pinch bolts, it's done by removing the controls arm nuts at the rear of the arms.

JG

The pinch bolt is at the top of the suspension upright and is known for cracking when being changed resulting in the whole upright needing to be replaced

Remove 3,4 , 5 & 6 in this picture.

A lot less hassle that removing pinch bolt, I've had mine done this way on my last 3 Audi's.
Upload 2020 12 5 15 21 16

JG

Well ive got a garage close to my work quote me 140 quid including 4 wheel laser alignment which sounded too good to be true but they arent vat registered which makes sense now. Seem to have generally very good reviews so im going to use them i think, however il make him aware of this "pinch bolt" before he starts, i dont want any nasty surprises. One place local to me quoted me 750 quid! so there seems to be an enormous difference of opinions across garages for this particular work. i find it incredible the range of prices ive been given, something doesnt seem right.....

Well ive got a garage close to my work quote me 140 quid including 4 wheel laser alignment which sounded too good to be true but they arent vat registered which makes sense now. Seem to have generally very good reviews so im going to use them i think, however il make him aware of this "pinch bolt" before he starts, i dont want any nasty surprises. One place local to me quoted me 750 quid! so there seems to be an enormous difference of opinions across garages for this particular work. i find it incredible the range of prices ive been given, something doesnt seem right.....

Keep us updated on how you get on with the fitting.

JG

I paid £130 at my local garage for mine.

Alignment was done for £50.

I did get quotes at some places of £380-500 though!

So i had the springs done by the garage that quoted me 140 quid including alignment and i couldnt be happier to be honest. The ride is superior is everyway than stock which has suprised me as i thought lowering on 35mm springs would give a harsher ride but nope its actually better.

Shame someone crashed into me on the way to work yesterday and damaged my drivers side wheel and wing but cars off to repair on monday so no biggie. Im fine and alive which is the main thing lol.

Sorry to read about the car being damaged, main thing is you're OK, and the car is repairable.

JG

Sorry to tag onto this thread. What springs did you all go for?I'm looking at lowering my A4 B8.5 soon.

@Dubjam which mechanic in South London did you use please?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk