how much should a thermostat open?

Ian_83

Reaction score
Talking to a friend of mine, he told me the thermostat should be opening all the way, but the one I put in only opens a bit. The old one I took out opened a lot more, but the water temp wouldn't really get over 60. Now it gets to 90 and stays there, so what's right?

The old school trick of thermostat testing - put it in a cup of boiling water.....

Yes mate, now that's some old school mechanics right there!! lol

That's what I did, it only opened slightly, the old one opened a lot more. My theory was: Old thermostat, must be a weak spring and opening too which meant there was too much water going through the radiator and making it too cold. New thermostat, not opening as much because the spring wasn't weak. However, he's got me doubting myself now.

As long as water can pass through then the amount it opens isn't really that relevant.

Bear in mind that the water system is under pressure which will help it open.

Yeah, i'll just not worry, I always keep an eye on the temp. I do 30 miles for work and it hit 90 and just sat there the whole time so must be fine :)

Keep in mind how hot the water in the cups going tobe, it's going tobe constantly cooling down, the only way to see if the thremostat will fully open is to pop it in a pan of boiling water and maintain the temp above 90 degeress :). Can also do some boiled egg's with soliders while your at it, win win haha.

Haha, i do try welly, doesnt always come across that way though lol.