How much more petrol does Sport mode uses?

LaurenP

Reaction score
Hi I have been driving my new A3 1.5 petrol for nearly 2 weeks now and I love it :)

However, I am still picking what drive select mode I should use every day. I find Comfort mode to be the most relaxing mode because it loosens up the wheel. The Auto mode is just normal? Effiencent mode feels like auto mode to me. Dynamic mode is the crappiest mode I have ever experienced. It makes the wheel stiffest and the braking harder. I have Spongebob biceps so this is a no-no.

The best mode is sports mode because I can definitely feel the speed and noise. I feel like I'm driving a fast car when I'm in sports mode. However, I've heard that sports mode uses around 20% more fuel??? is that true? it's hard to believe lol. How much more does it use? If it's not that much or the same as X select mode then I would 110% use sports mode 24/7.

Appreciate everyone's help! :fox:

Typed on iPhone

Reactions: Jcbmally
never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever not use Sport mode :)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Flying Scotsman, NevMan and 2 others
Hi I have been driving my new A3 1.5 petrol for nearly 2 weeks now and I love it :)

However, I am still picking what drive select mode I should use every day. I find Comfort mode to be the most relaxing mode because it loosens up the wheel. The Auto mode is just normal? Effiencent mode feels like auto mode to me. Dynamic mode is the crappiest mode I have ever experienced. It makes the wheel stiffest and the braking harder. I have Spongebob biceps so this is a no-no.

The best mode is sports mode because I can definitely feel the speed and noise. I feel like I'm driving a fast car when I'm in sports mode. However, I've heard that sports mode uses around 20% more fuel??? is that true? it's hard to believe lol. How much more does it use? If it's not that much or the same as X select mode then I would 110% use sports mode 24/7.

Appreciate everyone's help! :fox:

Typed on iPhone

Sport undoubtedly uses more fuel, as holds gears longer. How much will depend how heavy your right foot is Why don’t you try a fill using only sport and one not if you can bear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
I count in one how many times l have used sport mode in my 2 S3's that l have had..... Can't stand it

Reactions: B5NUT and Tom.H
Common sense would say sport would use more fuel, but that isn’t always the case. With my S3 it used about 8% more on similar use on a 1000 mile test. With my Q3, it uses around 12% less fuel. With the Q3 the heat changes in Drive mode seem laboured and more frequently change up then back down quickly. If I was driving manually, they seem too early. Sport is closer to how I would drive.
I do wonder I’d Drive mode is set more for emissions than economy on the Q3

Set up the individual drive select to be all sport mode but with comfort steering/suspension, that's what I've got.

I can only speak for s3 fuel usage, dynamic/ sport usually are 27mpg and comfort I'm normally at 32mpg, but that really means nothing

Reactions: Tom.H
If I want to drive in full dynamic (S3) then I flick it across to manual, don't like it in S, as has been said it holds on to gears too long, fine for a track but not the road.

Matt's idea sounds a good one for you, if you like everything in dynamic apart from the steering, set up individual as he suggests.

Reactions: MattSedg
If I want to drive in full dynamic (S3) then I flick it across to manual, don't like it in S, as has been said it holds on to gears too long, fine for a track but not the road.

Matt's idea sounds a good one for you, if you like everything in dynamic apart from the steering, set up individual as he suggests.
Always in manual for full control of the day farts and pops :whip:

Reactions: Tom.H
I take it sport mode is an S-tronic thing? Never seen it on mine, always keep it in dynamic

I take it sport mode is an S-tronic thing? Never seen it on mine, always keep it in dynamic
Yeah so the driver display changes from D1-D6(or 7)
To S1-6(or 7), it's enabled by pulling the gearstick back and just holds the gear longer and keeps you a gear "too low" when driving around town.

But the gearbox can go to sport regardless of the drive select mode (auto, efficiency, eco, dynamic)

Reactions: 1future, SamR92 and Tom.H

Need to read your manual As previous comment, try pulling gear lever towards you, puts it in sport mode irrespective of driving mode you are in. Flick again and go back into D

Need to read your manual As previous comment, try pulling gear lever towards you, puts it in sport mode irrespective of driving mode you are in. Flick again and go back into D

I've a manual, that's why I've never seen it as an option in drive select :)

Reactions: NevMan
I use sport mode quite a lot but never in auto transmission mode only in manual which results in more aggressive throttle mapping and quicker manual gear changes. Also, I never use dynamic gearbox/engine mode, steering in individual mode, those are set to auto. S mode switches me to dynamic gearbox/engine mode instantly when I want it without needing to go to individual settings to change what I desire, or going to drive mode which changes all settings to comfort, auto etc. When done with S manual mode, pull back the lever and push to the left and I am back to my individual modes in auto transmission. Try it, you might like it.

I have the 1.5 TFSI and can honestly say I can’t tell a difference. Like the others have said it depends how much lead is in your right foot

Yes it just keeps you in a lower gear and holds for much longer but also ever so slightly can hear the exhaust tone difference too, which is why I like it.. I use Sport mode whenever I’m going to be driving around town, I use Drive when I’m on a dual carriageway or motorway then flick into Sport when overtaking for that little buzz of excitement

Reactions: NevMan