How much mayo is too much?

H17YD L

Reaction score
Just checked under my oil cap an found this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364136581246822

Now to me that looks pretty bad. What should I do?

Lol sorry couldnt help it. That does look like quite a bit but then ive seen other cars with build up like that just not as much. Change ur oil and clean up the cap if ur worried and see how u get on. Is ur coolant still clean?

Lol!
Coolant is still clean.
I'll clean it up an see how it goes, I'll do an oil change in a few months its only just had it done when I bought it in January

If the oil was changed only two months ago, then that is indeed indicates a lot of moisture in the engine. I half suspect that the oil was not changed at all, but I could be wrong. Any sign of coolent loss? Could be the nasty cold weather, but I would think the best thing to do is to take the car on a good long run asap, and try to burn off that crankcase moisture. Otherwise, change the oil and then give it a spin.

That could be true mate about the oil not being changed, so may well be due now.
No sign of coolant loss. It had a good 200 mile run 2 weeks ago but since then it's just been round town, I've just been an cleaned it all out and will monitor it and get some oil ordered.

get a oil catch can, will trap all that stuff instead of burning in engine

I thought about a catch can but I thought they were to stop the oil getting back into the intake side

Just checked under my oil cap an found this:
View attachment 12970

Now to me that looks pretty bad. What should I do?

Mine has 4000m on the clock and has just as much around the oil filler cap, I looked last night when I had it in the hangar to check the tyres, had a TPMS light. I really cant see it being an issue if a 4000 mile engine and being 5 months old has it??????

That's reassuring to know! Thanks.
I was looking at pcv deletes an catch cans.

Tried an it must be light mayo as it tastes sh1t lol

I thought I'd check the PCV for the same build up, here's the pics:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364230434281527ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364230468657918ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364230488744600ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364230506195094

So is all that still acceptable? And there is another layer under the cap and in the spout, after wiping it all clean yesterday! Only drove to work an back, 3 miles each way which is probably part of the reason I'm getting this, but I'm sure it's no supposed to be this bad, ordering the oil tomorrow and filter, also going to get some engine flush.

Personally i would not consider any mayo acceptable.
If i was buying a car with even a hint of mayo anywhere in the oil system i'd walk away.
If i noticed that on my car then i would change the oil straight away and monitor it after that.

The mayo is water mixing with the oil, so you have water getting into the system somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Even if it was a faulty PCV then the water is still coming from somewhere, as it certainly isn't coming from your intake system.

Quick question.
How do you use the car, is it used for lots of shorts runs or does it sit for long periods of time?

First thing i'd do is check the dip stick, if the oil is coming out as mayo on the dipstick then i would strongly advise not using the car until you've both changed the oil and rectified the fault.

How is the coolant level?

Have you noticed the car is putting out more smoke (from the exhaust)?

Personally i would not consider any mayo acceptable.
If i was buying a car with even a hint of mayo anywhere in the oil system i'd walk away.
If i noticed that on my car then i would change the oil straight away and monitor it after that.

The mayo is water mixing with the oil, so you have water getting into the system somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Even if it was a faulty PCV then the water is still coming from somewhere, as it certainly isn't coming from your intake system.

Quick question.
How do you use the car, is it used for lots of shorts runs or does it sit for long periods of time?

First thing i'd do is check the dip stick, if the oil is coming out as mayo on the dipstick then i would strongly advise not using the car until you've both changed the oil and rectified the fault.

How is the coolant level?

Have you noticed the car is putting out more smoke (from the exhaust)?

I normally think like yourself and if I'd of noticed that when buying I would have been well put off! But a lot of people seem to think its nothing.

Haven't a clue where the waters coming from and before when I checked the dipstick there was a tiny bit on the end of it, I wiped it and checked again but nothing the second time.

Coolant level is spot on, and the regular pink colour, it's slightly above the max line when hot and settles just on it when cool.

The car does a lot of short journeys but all my cars have done the same and none have had any thing like this.

Not noticed any more smoke from the exhaust when I boot it either?

I'm going to get the oil and filter ordered and avoid using it now till I've done the oil change.

It's the short runs take it for a good blast and I'm sure that will cure the mayo it's normal for these engines on short runs

Your work commute is only 3 miles. That's the problem. The engine doesn't get up to temperature and it causes any condensation to form into water causing the mayo. A good old hot run will help things.

My work commute is 16miles each way, roughly 12 of those 16 on motorway, so surely the trip duration can be discounted as a factor.
No mayo on my dipstick (just the filler cap) :meeting:

Well, I've decided to leave it at home today an get the oil, filter an flush ordered, do all that an monitor. I read somewhere that the viscosity of the oil can make a difference, and seeing as the car place I bought it from didn't give a sh1t so it could have anything in! So going to get the proper 5w30 edge put in and give it all a good clean out at the weekend, I'll update with my findings, I'll also look into a catch can.

The solution to this if you are only doing 3 miles is simple. Wipe all the excess and clean, then drive the car for approx 30 miles on the back roads like you stole it. This should sort it

I have the same issue on the Ducati as most of the Duc owners have. Short rides in the cold makes the sight glass mist up . A good run getting the oil really hot & its gone

PS you need a Milltek fitting, that will cure it

Cheers! It seems it will go away after a good run but I'm swapping the oil anyway so I know what's in it.
If I could get a milltek cheap enough I'd have it straight on ;) lol

Oil change every 5K too is what I do, I only do short runs also so it's my solution
So you have this trouble also? As much as mine on the cap? I dont mind doing 5k changes that would be every 10-12 months anyway
A compression test, to set your mind at rest.
I'm not loosing any coolant though? So the compression test won't show anything, or do you think it will for another reason?

Do it every 6 months then, I change my oil around April and then again in October, never had a problem with mayo on the cap.

Just noticed mayo under my oil cap for the first time, tiny bit on the end of the dipstick. My drive to work is only 6-7miles and car is only often used for short journeys, going to give it a blast out next week & an oil change...*fingers crossed*

Just noticed mayo under my oil cap for the first time, tiny bit on the end of the dipstick. My drive to work is only 6-7miles and car is only often used for short journeys, going to give it a blast out next week & an oil change...*fingers crossed*

Dirty coolant? Excessive smoke out the exhaust? If not, then don't worry.. Just needs an oil change.

I did a decent journey in mine, it cleared most of it, then did an oil and filter change as well as an engine flush, clear as a whistle, I've done a couple of short journeys this last 2 weeks and there's some building up. So it's just a character of the engine if you do short journeys, but I'm happy knowing my oil and filter are brand new.