How much is this s3 worth?

sandro54321

Reaction score
I’m looking to buy an s3 this week. The car is in great condition inside and only needs minor paint work. The only mechanical thing it really needs is a new clutch and flywheel as it slips under boost.

The car is completely stock, 80k miles but the only thing that is bothering me about it is that it has previously been written off (CAT C). Just wondering how much this affects the value of the car and how much it’s potentially worth?

Can you get a report of the damage, that way you can see how much was/has been repaired and what areas. Like any car that’s a CAT C the value will be less due to it, it’s whether you can live with it, also the other thing to note is the insurance will inherently be more because of it, some insurers won’t insure you or will but at a much higher premium.

Be worth posting some pictures up of the car and what they are asking for, for some reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get a report of the damage, that way you can see how much was/has been repaired and what areas. Like any car that’s a CAT C the value will be less due to it, it’s whether you can live with it, also the other thing to note is the insurance will inherently be more because of it, some insurers won’t insure you or will but at a much higher premium.

Be worth posting some pictures up of the car and what they are asking for, for some reference.

I’m going to give my insurers a call and check with them. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures at the moment but I have seen the car in person and it’s in amazing condition.

I’ll try and get a damage report but I don’t think it was anything big. I don’t mind having a car with a write off status and I know the person selling it so I know the car is in good nick I just want to make sure I’m getting a decent deal.

The price that has been mentioned by the owner is 2.5k but not sure if that’s good considering it needs a clutch a bit of paint and it’s a CAT C. The only photo I have of the car right now is this one from when I first saw it before it was for sale. Looks like paint damage on the hood edge but that is just dust.
IMG 2846

Personally, would not touch a CAT 3 unless I was rebuilding to track car and had the damage report. Will always be difficult to re sell if you wanted to at anytime.

Under normal conditions with many S3's around I too would not touch it, but the S3 (8L) world is not normal.
If you know the person selling it ask hm for more details, pictures of original damage, was it repaired under insurance ? how long ago was it written off? receipts for works done? remember sometimes a repair recently carried out will still look cosmetically stunning.
Yes, It certainly is worth less, but with proper documentation with pictures in a few years when there are even less on the road it may still be worth a lot less....but perhaps more than what you pay for it now??? Especially if you intend to keep it long term.
Basically carry out a proper mechanical vehicle check always, even when the interior and extertior look mint.

Under normal conditions with many S3's around I too would not touch it, but the S3 (8L) world is not normal.
If you know the person selling it ask hm for more details, pictures of original damage, was it repaired under insurance ? how long ago was it written off? receipts for works done? remember sometimes a repair recently carried out will still look cosmetically stunning.
Yes, It certainly is worth less, but with proper documentation with pictures in a few years when there are even less on the road it may still be worth a lot less....but perhaps more than what you pay for it now??? Especially if you intend to keep it long term.
Basically carry out a proper mechanical vehicle check always, even when the interior and extertior look mint.

If everything checks out and I manage to get loads of details and paperwork to confirm everything is fine what do you think a reasonable offer would be? I don’t want to low ball them but I also don’t want to overpay for a car with accident history. Does an offer of 1.8k sound reasonable?

would not like to put a figure on it. Perhaps someone on the forums can respond having purchased a recent cat 3 vehicle

Say you pay £1,800, parts and labour for a new clutch will set you back maybe £500/600, and say you spend another £500 on bodywork. You’re then out about £3k and you have a low mileage cat c car.

If you look on eBay, facebook marketplace etc, there are plenty available for between £3k and £4k that look presentable and haven’t been written off. But the mileages are obviously way higher, circa double.

The way I see it, for similar money it’s a trade off between cat c and low mileage or clean history but higher mileage. If you can get solid proof of what the damage was and the repair work, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to pay between £1500 and £2000 given the mileage.

Say you pay £1,800, parts and labour for a new clutch will set you back maybe £500/600, and say you spend another £500 on bodywork. You’re then out about £3k and you have a low mileage cat c car.

If you look on eBay, facebook marketplace etc, there are plenty available for between £3k and £4k that look presentable and haven’t been written off. But the mileages are obviously way higher, circa double.

The way I see it, for similar money it’s a trade off between cat c and low mileage or clean history but higher mileage. If you can get solid proof of what the damage was and the repair work, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to pay between £1500 and £2000 given the mileage.

I agree that price range seems reasonable. I did forget to mention I live in Jersey, Channel Islands so there aren’t many s3’s here and I can just hop on Facebook to find one so I guess it’s probably worth closer to 2k

I agree that price range seems reasonable. I did forget to mention I live in Jersey, Channel Islands so there aren’t many s3’s here and I can just hop on Facebook to find one so I guess it’s probably worth closer to 2k
Small world, I’m up in Scotland but my sisters been living down there for the past 15 years.

Good effort from someone managing to cat c a car with those speed limits :laugh:

Small world, I’m up in Scotland but my sisters been living down there for the past 15 years.

Good effort from someone managing to cat c a car with those speed limits :laugh:

I have no idea either, most likely fell asleep while driving so slow

Reactions: S4 Muzza
You'll really struggle to get a new clutch fitted for 500-600 parts and labour., more like 1200-1500 especially as you should also change the DMF