How much do you reckon a manual 6 SPD gearbox would cost?

Wobblybox

Reaction score
I have been hearing a funny noise when changing gears when I take my foot of the throttle, I have noticed it getting worse and now I can't get 5th or 6th even with the engine off :( what's the worst case scenario if I need a new gearbox? It only has 80k on it.... Do manuals generally give bother? It's an 04 model.

Diesel, I don't know if its the dmf. The funny noise is hard to explain... It's like a metallic springy kinda noise with a jingly tinge lol! It's only for a second then goes its always while the engines under load, ie throttle till midway in the powerband take foot off throttle and you hear it. If there's no power/load there's no jingley noise. It was driving ok today and now there's about 3" of snow there was a fair bit of wheel spin. I was coming to a junction, went from 4th to 2nd and couldn't get a gear, there was very little horizontal movement in neutral, eventually got a gear and went 2nd to 3rd to 4th ok but no 5th or 6th. Got home turned engine off and can still only select 1st to 4th.. If it was the dmf would it not affect all gears?

Turns out its my under tray is smashed, snow must have compacted round the gear shift linkages. The whole under tray is smashed from the gearbox to the back of the car ***!! But at least cheaper than a gear bag