How much difference do matrix headlights make?

/dev/null

Reaction score
I've got the standard LED headlights and was just wondering how much different the matrix ones are and whether people think they're worth the extra cost. Reason for asking is that my standard ones seem to give a decent amount of light, they "point" extra light when I turn a corner or am indicating to take a turning, they light up a wider area at lower speed and then extend out at higher speeds etc. What else do the matrix ones give to justify the price?

This video gives you a good idea about what they do. The light segments go out automatic as it detects vehicles either in front of you or in the other lane.

Reactions: Bungle17, maui and Thundercliffe81
And Im wondering how much better LEDS are than Xenons ?

So I had xenons in my A3 8V, and had a 4 day loan of an A4 s-line with normal LED lights, and have now taken delivery of my A4 with matrix LEDs. Have thoroughly tested and compared night driving in all 3.

My observations so far are that xenons in the A3 were excellent. The standard LEDs in the A4 were about the same as the A3, but slightly less 'intense' at long range. The matrix LEDs seem even more intense than both the A3 xenons and the standard A4 LEDs - with the added benefit of looking absolutely awesome as they dance in and out on the road.

Can't recommend matrix LEDs enough - phenomenal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: scotty76, Thundercliffe81 and AidenL
I've also got the Matrix LED and to repeat Mjcourtney they are Phenomenal. However..... how much driving do you do at night / on unlit / country roads?

If the answer is a lot, definitely get them, you put them on and in auto mode and it's fantastic to watch and really does improve visibility. Because it "cuts" out cars coming towards you, you can have your full beams on at all times.

I rarely do drive at night outside of the city, and therefore they don't get much use so I might not spec them again, but I'm sure glad I have them now as they are awesome.

Reactions: scotty76 and Thundercliffe81
Can I just ask a quick question about the Matrix headlamps. Whenever I've set them into 'auto' mode, by pushing forwards the indicator lever, I find that it's switched off again when I next come to use the car. Is this normal?

Yes that's normal. It's essentially a smarter High Beam Assist - so you have to push it into high beam mode manually to activate it each time.

Just out of interest if you have matrix headlights it seems to do a great job of lighting the road ahead without dazzling oncoming drivers. If somebody comes towards you with their headlights on main beam dazzling you, can you flash them back, or will the headlights not allow you to do this?.

You just pull back on the indicator lever, like any other car, as shown in the manual under pages 57/58...

I have matrix led headlights on mine. I can't recommend them enough! They turn night into day!

Great value if you get them in the light & vision pack!

Reactions: scotty76
That's how I got mine, driving home last night in the rain and the dark they were pretty immpressive in how they were turning on and off different beams to illuminate both sides of the road. Made it a whole lot easier...

Reactions: Rob_F, ScottishA4B9 and scotty76