How many people with stage 2 s3? Or running more than 350bhp

Sohrob

Reaction score
Just wondering how many (i know a fair few are running fuel pump,tbe,intake and software upgrades) are doing this and how reliable its been. Having a little debate on CTRO and they find it hard to believe that the engine will run a reliable 360 bhp with no internal upgrades. Im aware the clutch is a weakpoint but thats it.

it was more for the benefit of others than myself, ive had my remapped s3 for ages now and it hasnt put a foot wrong. A few guys think that becuase the k20 lump is so strong that if they cant get the same gains it cant be true.

Im running revo stage 2+ with evoms, full milltek tbe and uprated fuel pump internals.No problems at all, will uprate the clutch when the time comes. Had it on 3 different dynos and each time its put out from 360-364bhp.

You really can't compare engine internals between those that were designed to have a turbo and those that were not. There are lots of differences and although the K20 is a great engine it was never designed to have a turbo mounted so you would have to change the internals to get the same gains no matter what.

Just my thoughts.

I've never had any issues but never kept one for any length of time to date, this one will be different, so far, so good.

Doubting ricers, Pah!

310+bhp is easy achieved with some £500 software. Cant see why its so hard to believe that you can have 360bhp with a few bolt ons.

You need to spend 5K on a CTR before you can think about pulling a skin of a rice(r) pudding...

Give em hell.

Paul

Been running mine with Stage 2+ and the usual bolt on goodies for about 25K now. I've never really had any issues, apart from the occasional flutter and very occasional clutch slip (when it's freezing cold) until recently!

It's currently in my local Audi garage as the clutch is being investigated to see whether it's past it's wear limit, it hasn't slipped for ages now but I reported it so they are going to investigate, but worse than that they reckon the turbo is dead. It's lost a fair amount of power lately and the technician is sure it's the turbo. It's wait and see at the moment to see what the outcome is.

Generally though, i think the engine is tough enough to handle 360 BHP it's just the bolt on bits may give up the ghost. You can't really expect a car to handle a 30-40% increase in power without something feeling the strain can you?

Im at 103,000 km right now in Greece with **** roads and daily traffic, running Stage 2 with a sachs racing paddle type clutch and single mass flywheel. The most important thing is to check

the engine and transmission mounts. They soften up and then havoc breaks loose. Just got through repairing my downpipe, changed the mounts, and saved my clutch fw combo from going

bad prematurely. Going for the bsh uprated kit. The torque is too much for the factory stuff, all the above happened from torque flex. The Audi dealership sucked over here on technical

feedback and I had to tell them where to look. Now Im going to send a nice email to Germany to get them more sensitive to customers. They 'repaired' my downpipe without unbolting it

and gave it back to me 80 percent fixed. They didn't weld where they couldnt' reach and charged me 270 euros for a ******* weld! They wouldnt return my money like the do in the States

and the guy started getting ***** because he said my car is fixed up and Im 'in the wrong'. When I did my chipping at their dealership, so I told them I'd let Audi know they do chipping and

then don't know how follow up with the simple problems like welding an exhaust pipe that could arise and told the malaka to **** off and go to hell. Now Im gonna get a German speaking

friend to find me a complaint email address to screw them royally. Besides them the car is a gem, gonna fix it up at my friends shop from now on my guarantee is almost finished.

Boggy weld your downpipe!!!! Same problem!!! Change your engine mounts and tranny mount w upgrades! Dont bit the bullet like i did!! AAAAhhhh! your turbo is fine, the downpipe can loose exhaust without making a big sound, just the boost is lower, and the flex in the softened mounts is messing with your clutch and shifting!!

I've been running Stage 2+ with over 360bhp since February 2009. About 20,000 miles - lots of hard track days and trips to the Ring involved and the car shrugs it all off (apart from the "made of custard" OEM clutch which lasted about 7 minutes). There are loads of S3s and Ed30s with over 360 on standard internals. Bit bizarre of them to compare one engine to another in such a random way.

Another Stage 2+ here,and also with 360bhp.

It's had this for over 10 000 miles so far,with no problems apart from the chocolate OEM clutch,and a misfire which has been sorted.

The block seems intrinsically strong,and the fact that so many of us are running this degree of tuning with few problems adds weight to that.

It does seem clear however that if you go over 400bhp you need stronger rods and low compression pistons as you would expect,and the engines that have failed on that have had pistons holed without having had the CR lowered....this should be no surprise.