How many miles...

A3 Sport

Reaction score
until my 1.6 is run in? Its at 400 miles now... how much longer until it really begins to loosen up?

Not hard, not soft, kinda inbetween tbh! Like revving it to 4000RPM every now and then. The highest Ive revved it to is around 5500RPM (only twice when needed a quick getaway), so its never been red lined or anything.

Most of the time though Im revving it to 2500 - 3000RPM.

Thanks for your quick reply!

You still have to run new cars in? I thought that was a thing of the past! They do all their running in when getting the nuts revved off them in the factory!

Two schools of thought;

1. Thrash it from day one (I'd be terrified to do this)
2. Use all the rev range but don't be silly with it

I'd do number two for at least 500 miles. Sounds like you've been doing that anyway.

The 'general' rule of thumb, is that if you thrash it from new, you will get more from it but it wont last as long (not your worry - as i doubt youll keep it long enough to make any difference)
or take it steady and it will last longer.

Id just drive it as normal tbh.

Thanks for all of the replies, so ou reckon im doing the right thing atm? I mean, normally I average around 25mpg (urban) so cant be driving it that hard!

Yeah I reckon you're fine. It won't hurt to take it to the redline every now and again. Just don't bounce it off the limiter :icon_thumright:

All engines are hot tested before they are fitted to the car, this is a test for any leaks etc before it being put into the car. The hot test isn't really a 'run in' for the engine, i would say do 1000miles or so before giving it death.

Keep below 4000rpm for the first 500miles and then 6000rpm for the next 500miles.

As its a non turbo engine don't worry too much about not using WOT (wide open throttle).