How many Miles is a 1.6fsi good for ?

Kieran93

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a 2004 1.6fsi with 142000 miles in the clock.

The car drives perfectly but Iam wondering how much life is left in her ?

is it worth looking for a newer one and get rid while I still can

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum mate :)

I've seen cars with 130k~140k miles but in good condition, also seen cars with 40k~50k miles and no way you wanna go near them... absolute waste of money...

So it all depends on whether it had regular services? Oil, filters, belt, water pump, fuel pump etc... been changed/maintained on time or the car just been used to be driven only and NOT taken care off, if you see what I mean!

Just have a look at the service book to check all of these... if you're happy with the car then just take it for a full service and done...
You could drive it for another 2~3 years time and then sell it for approx £1,500

Hope it helped :)

My 1.6 FSI 55 plate is on 164k miles and still runs great. I think the mileage thing between petrol and diesel cars is just a myth. More diesel cars have such high mileages because to achieve that sort of mileage, it is alot cheaper in a diesel so there arent many cars out there which are petrol with such high mileage.

Thanks farzad

It's pretty much has full service history and I have an oil and filter change every 6000 miles. Hopefully it will continue to be trouble free.
I appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks jackpot, it's nice to know they can reach a descent Milage, has yours been trouble free ? I've had a gearbox at 133k and a new car at 138k. Apart from that it's just been wear and tear. The only problem I have is the infamous rattle on start up.

... and a new car at 138k. Apart from that it's just been wear and tear. The only problem I have is the infamous rattle on start up.

I take it that was a new Cat? :) I get the startup rattle intermittently. It got really bad recently, but then just went away again - what a crap design. Mines just coming up to 90K

Mine doesnt rattle at all? Sounds beautiful when starting.. and to be honest i havent got a clue if the cars been trouble free or not as i havent had it long..

I dont mean to put a dampener on your FSIs but i have just pulled an engine out of a golf mkv with the 1.6 FSI, 100 k, got recovered to us as it went 'bang' (what was described to me) when it was having its emissions test, after pulling the rocker off which holds the cams the inlet cam pulley was loose and it has a left hand thread, turns out the cam shaft has seized in the rocker, looks like oil starvation, so could be an oil pump but the other FSIs i have worked on have had no problems at all!