How many miles do you get out of £20?

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
So guys, I have just got my car back from repair having suffered a failed injector seal and for some reason, it could be me but its seems more thirsty.

Its like the LED fuel gauge is incorrect, or it might just be me. Normally £20 will light up 5 lights and quickly drop back to 4 after abit of driving.

Now it could be that fuel prices have gone up since.

Anyway I am interested to know what people get from £20 as thats what i put in everytime.

Attachments

• IMG_9893.jpg
    IMG_9893.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 150
Yeah I get the same, 5 which falls to 4 quite quick, 1.4 TFSI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on fuel type, engine size, season, journey type and driving style. Always worse in winter.
Can you clarify any of the above as could be anywhere between 120-180 miles for most people, excluding outliers. 5 bars normally equates to half a tank.

That said, I go empty to brim but that’s my choice.

Last edited:
I don’t worry about it, just brim fill and drive. Can’t remember last time I part filled a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnM100
So guys, I have just got my car back from repair having suffered a failed injector seal and for some reason, it could be me but its seems more thirsty.

Its like the LED fuel gauge is incorrect, or it might just be me. Normally £20 will light up 5 lights and quickly drop back to 4 after abit of driving.

Now it could be that fuel prices have gone up since.

Anyway I am interested to know what people get from £20 as thats what i put in everytime.
You never evet top pup car by bits .. you will spend more fuel and more money .. Always top up full tank ... And drive in efficiency mode and don't drive fast.. simple.. You should get 350 to 360 miles on full tank ...

You never evet top pup car by bits .. you will spend more fuel and more money .. Always top up full tank ... And drive in efficiency mode and don't drive fast.. simple.. You should get 350 to 360 miles on full tank ...
Or 600+ if it's a diesel.

I always fill mine to the brim, reset the trip meter, and keep an eye on how many miles the lights go out: usually around 70 for the 1st and 50 or so there after. A drop in ambient temp can hugely effect mpg as can driving style and type of journey. Its not worth comparing with others, just learn what your car does for you and keep track of it. Example: some S3 owners here have never got 300 from a tank, others get closer to 400 every time.

Reactions: Wibbly and Mr Freeze
I always fill mine to the brim, reset the trip meter, and keep an eye on how many miles the lights go out: usually around 70 for the 1st and 50 or so there after. A drop in ambient temp can hugely effect mpg as can driving style and type of journey. Its not worth comparing with others, just learn what your car does for you and keep track of it. Example: some S3 owners here have never got 300 from a tank, others get closer to 400 every time.

I also fill it to the brim then reset the trip I get around 270/300 round town driving but on a long journey have had 440 off a full tank

Reactions: Damo S
No chance an S3 with 400 miles maybe only on motorway not speeding...
mine 2015 a3 tdi 2.0 184 bhp reaches 360 max .. mix city and motorway.. If I would drive only on motorway 70 mph I would make around 550 miles ..
So an S3 will never do max 300 in city and on motorway maybe more 350 ? 370?
When I had A3 2011 tdi .20 170 bhp I was making 420 or 430 in city ..

@Audi Ashley - post your car specs as that may help focus the responses. Those using Tapatalk or forum in portrait view on tablets don’t see signatures

[snip...]

There is a whole thread on S3 mpg.

Again, comes down to driving style. If you spend the vast majority of the time on country roads just following everyone else then 400 is pretty easy to achieve (my best is 420). Its one of the reasons I bought an S3 (good fuel economy if you want it to be). Whereas, if you break the speed limit and / or overtake at any given opportunity then yeah 300 or less is more likely.

I only ever fill to brim, but £20 is just under 3.5 gallons. I typically get 45/50 mpg so £20 would be around 170 miles. On a motorway run I see far higher. On a 50mph speed restricted run from Devon to Merseyside I saw 73 mpg on the trip. This dropped to I think 71mpg when home, which I think was 68+mpg when I filled up.

Colin

ps, I've just noticed since the new site display / upgrade my vehicle spec is no longer showing under my signature. Is this correct?

With decent weather conditions, I can get 600+ miles from a full tank.
600??0 not a chance on which one? what power ? defo not 180 bhp 2.0 on motorway downhill only, maye like that.. or 50 miles per hour all the way
weather conditions doesn't impact on your fuel consumption only

Again, comes down to driving style. If you spend the vast majority of the time on country roads just following everyone else then 400 is pretty easy to achieve (my best is 420). Its one of the reasons I bought an S3 (good fuel economy if you want it to be). Whereas, if you break the speed limit and / or overtake at any given opportunity then yeah 300 or less is more likely.
But u don't buy an S3 or RS3 to only drive 50mph ... Ppl buy it to have fun and turning up and have revs .. for saving fuel it is best to buy 1.5 liter or 150 bhp sline looking A3 .. as it looks same as an s3 that's why audi named s-line A3 to have S3 look but driving economic..

Reactions: Neil C
But u don't buy an S3 or RS3 to only drive 50mph ... Ppl buy it to have fun and turning up and have revs .. for saving fuel it is best to buy 1.5 liter or 150 bhp sline looking A3 .. as it looks same as an s3 that's why audi named s-line A3 to have S3 look but driving economic..

If its your daily driver, as mine is, I dont want to be commuting in something that does 25mpgs even when not booting it. Thats the reason I bought the S3 and not an older RS5 (along with the much cheaper road tax). Most of the time I'm just sat behind the car in front doing the speed limit.

600??0 not a chance on which one? what power ? defo not 180 bhp 2.0 on motorway downhill only, maye like that.. or 50 miles per hour all the way
weather conditions doesn't impact on your fuel consumption only
2.0 TDi 150 Sportback.
I do a round trip of 55 miles to work and back weekdays. It's 90% dual carriageway at 70mph.
In dry conditions, without too much wind, and an air temperature of 12 degrees C or higher, I'd be disappointed if a tank full didn't achieve 600 miles.

2.0 TDi 150 Sportback.
I do a round trip of 55 miles to work and back weekdays. It's 90% dual carriageway at 70mph.
In dry conditions, without too much wind, and an air temperature of 12 degrees C or higher, I'd be disappointed if a tank full didn't achieve 600 miles.
There you go 150 big difference btw 184... Then of course you have much less consumption different engine.
You pay £20 quid emissions
I pay £135
Your engine has lees kw power
mine 135kw

There you go 150 big difference btw 184... Then of course you have much less consumption different engine.
You pay £20 quid emissions
I pay £135
Your engine has lees kw power
mine 135kw
The engine is more or less the same except injectors, turbo and mapping. Like for like normal driving in either should give more or less the same economy and in fact figures on honest john back that up. Sure, drive flat out everywhere and the 184 will use more fuel. The quattro version will also be less fuel efficient than the FWD version.

184 FWD manual here...usually get 520-580miles when down to red travelling on A roads mainly but pretty much get the same on regular trips to Cornwall over 400 mile round trips.
That equates to about 180miles for £20 at current prices!

Reactions: Damo S