how many miles can you....

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
... continue to drive your car when the oil light comes on?

I have 25miles to get home after work where i will be able to change my oil as it's due a service.

so don't want to top up only to drain the oil. but if it's harmful to the engine i will have no choice.

Car is a 1.8T.

your gonna run your engine with no oil in it for 25 miles ??? Your gonna reck it don't be so tight and put some oil in its a fiver or a very expensive repair bill for you

Reactions: Izzy1 and Welshquattro
oil limit was low. but i've now topped it up for peace of mind.

rather be safe than sorry ay!

for the sake of a litre of oil you did the right thing than spend out for a new engine

And there's me thinking that forums were for enthusiasts rather than the average wreck it Ralph.

I did read somewhere if it's got to the point the oil light has come on there could potentially be some wear/damage, is this correct?

I've also been told before that by the time the min oil warning comes on its too low so top up before driving if poss. My s4 gets used daily on a 40 mile round trip in town and seems to use around 1 litre of oil every 2000 miles. Have a tiny leak from left rocker cover gasket but no smoke from rear of car. Have been told this is perfectly normal oil usage on the v8's so I always keep spare oil in the boot so I'm prepared. 5 litres of quantum only costs me £35 trade from the dealer. Annoying but a small price to pay to protect the engine

Reactions: Izzy1 and Greeny233