How many EGT's is too many?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Simple question really, where should I set my EGT alarm? . . I guess it depends where the probe is, which for the record, mine sits in the manifold right in the collector.

I was out today having only recently got the car back together. After showing a new Fiesta ST how things are done I noticed I was into 4 digits, which it obviously too high! . .

To be honest though the map needs tweaking and I think there's too much preload on the actuator as it feels a bit spikey and torque steer is pretty bad!

4 digits. Eek.

K type and remote gauge?

I think thermal protection on a ko4 car kicks in at 925c.

Mine runs at ~830-860 on track, probe in DP.

Very hot. Yours is hotter.

What is AFR? And timing figures?

900 is the most you want to see on multiple pulls -- and if you're going to be at the track for extended time, you want to see 850-875 at the most to feel comfortable. As you mentioned OP, probe placement matters, so the numbers noted here are for factory style in-turbine mounted probe (you could accept slightly higher figure at the collector merge pre-turbo).

4 digits. Eek.

K type and remote gauge?

I think thermal protection on a ko4 car kicks in at 925c.

Mine runs at ~830-860 on track, probe in DP.

Very hot. Yours is hotter.

What is AFR? And timing figures?

Hey Prawn, that sounds very hot buddy for DP plumbed probe. They usually say that you could see up 100 deg drop from pre-turbo to downpipe, but who knows how true that is ...

It will be hotter in the collector....

Std S3 EGT protection kicks in at 920-925 degrees (can't remember exactly without looking at a map) measured in the hotside... S4's have probes in the turbo flange of the manifold and from memory EGT protection is around the 975 degree mark (again I would have to check the map)...

I saw really high EGT's ( well in the 900's and on the odd occasion 1000's) when I ran my probe in the collector on my GT30 setup... in the downpipe they dropped on average by 100 degrees or so

Tbh where you have it placed (need to see a pic really) the temps you say you had are plausible... most of the heat will be pre-turbo and drops dramatically as it finds its way through the turbo

As yours is in a different place to ones I normally see then difficult to say exactly what would be a safe temp but seeing as its 975 on an S4 at the flange that would be a start point but suspect seeing higher temps where you have the probe is going to be fairly normal...

<tuffty/>

Pre turbo to post turbo temperatures are estimated to be about 200 F (93 C) different from carious sources.

No turbo manufacturer publishes sustained maximum operating temperatures that I've seen.

The stock s3 programming has EGT protection set a 920c I believe, when it dumps fuel in to cool. How long a turbo will live at sustained temps over 900c is anyones guess.

Pre turbo to post turbo temperatures are estimated to be about 200 F (93 C) different from carious sources.

No turbo manufacturer publishes sustained maximum operating temperatures that I've seen.

The stock s3 programming has EGT protection set a 920c I believe, when it dumps fuel in to cool. How long a turbo will live at sustained temps over 900c is anyones guess.
there is no fixed number to gauge it on on DP vs oe k04-023 position will have a temperature gradient which changes as DP heats up... 100'c is generally the minimum difference when I've logged both positions @ same time

Yes Prawn, K type probe with remote Auber gauge. Same as your's I think? Will try check AFR's when I'm next out, only really got my liquid gauge for though for that.

As you can see tuffty, probe is right in the middle of the collector:

Yes Prawn, K type probe with remote Auber gauge. Same as your's I think? Will try check AFR's when I'm next out, only really got my liquid gauge for though for that.

As you can see tuffty, probe is right in the middle of the collector:

Right in the gooch