How long to warm up

paddy

With temps around 5c i find i need to do about 8 miles to get the gauge up to 90c...Seems like quite a long way. Once at 90 it holds it spot on , traffic or Motorway. Until then the heater is useless, am i just getting old :)

LEE69

07 170 DSG
If it holding 90 I'd say it was and your old age, want my diesel? Takes an age haha, especially if not under load

Reactions: NHN

ab1702

With temps around 5c i find i need to do about 8 miles to get the gauge up to 90c...Seems like quite a long way. Once at 90 it holds it spot on , traffic or Motorway. Until then the heater is useless, am i just getting old :)
If it’s getting to 90 and staying there then it’s just because of the cold temps. If the stat was no good then it wouldn’t get to 90 or it would be up and down.

den911

-3 to +1 at the moment when i set off for work at 5.30am ,my first 6 miles is 30mph , the oil temp is at 62c when i hit the motorway on 6 miles then coolant temp hits 90c after a couple of miles on motorway and stays there..So aprox 8 miles for me (new thermostat housing last year)

aqibi2000

If it holding 90 I'd say it was and your old age, want my diesel? Takes an age haha, especially if not under load

with an EGR delete it triples the time when on low load

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Sounds about right to me. My temp only starts to move after about 1 mile of slow driving, and is rarely at 90 before 6 miles.
That's with a brand new thermostat fitted at the end of summer and fresh coolant.

SootySport

Same here with a 2.0 TSI. Luckily it’s the Mrs. that drives it every day to the coal face while I’m tucked up in a warm bed .

aqibi2000

That's what I absorbed and put up with for 6.5 years , then a new thermostat was put in and it gets to 90° like a rocket ( 1.9 tdi AVF ) reduced smoke opacity further .
Will give it a pop this weekend, cheers.

Been like this for 4 winters now

ch1z64

C'mon you's bhoy's in Green
VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
Today i sat in mine for at least 8mins ( idle ) before it got to 80% and 10mins to get to 90

abmat

VCDS Map User
I get nice warm air after about 3 miles and engine fully warm at about 6.

aqibi2000

Just a reminder we care about oil temp reaching 90 not the coolant, observe the DIS

samisnake

thinking out loud, why would the oil temp be more important than the coolant temp?
oil is multigrade, itll do its job whether its hot or cold. the coolant temp is an indicator of the temp of the block. colder coolant=cold engine=more friction as cold metal contracts and hot metal expands.

S.

Save the manuals
Lower the oil temperature - lower the viscosity meaning more fluid particle friction. Oil paricles will move slower and the lubrication won't be as efficient as it would be on working temperatures.
But i doubt anyone is sitting on the rev limit all day long for this to cause premature component wear.

nluk100

But i doubt anyone is sitting on the rev limit all day long for this to cause premature component wear.

Maybe not all day long but you'd be surprised at the amount of drivers who rag it straight from cold and wonder why their engine burns oil later in life.

den911

Maybe not all day long but you'd be surprised at the amount of drivers who rag it straight from cold and wonder why their engine burns oil later in life.
Spot on, i am under 2000rpm until i hit min 62c oil temp,always look after your engine and it will look after you ..This i do not because i am not 21 any more i have always done it more so on my diesels ..

S.

Save the manuals
I know. I guess that's why nowdays engines have soft limiters in neutral and engine component protections that holds the power down before engine is up to 60-70 deg (if i got that right).
Back to the OT i guess it's right there at about 15-20km of drive in colder weather to get it to temperature - but it's not steady. I guess it's new thermostats soon.

ch1z64

VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
A bit off topic but not miles away how can i see coolant temp on my Dis, or am i just being a bit daft as all i see is a snowflake icon and temp which i am assuming is outside temp . Any help muchly appreicated ,

aqibi2000

Any one on here from a cold climate with an oil pressure gauge?

Can you record us a video of cold start showing the oil pressure gauge when the oil is cold, so we can see how significantly the oil pressure changes compared to when the oil temperature reaches 90 degree.

With oil temperature increase the oil viscosity decreases == better flow between the bearing surfaces

Last edited:

abmat

VCDS Map User
A bit off topic but not miles away how can i see coolant temp on my Dis, or am i just being a bit daft as all i see is a snowflake icon and temp which i am assuming is outside temp . Any help muchly appreicated ,

Do you mean oil temp?

aqibi2000

Can’t delete this posted by mistake

ch1z64

VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
Do you mean oil temp?
I can see the oil temp rise on the gauge but in post 13 member mentions coolant ( my understanding is he means u can see thst on Dis )

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Coolant temp is the permanent dial on the dash next to the fuel gauge. It's indicated by the needle and starts at 60c on the left with 90c in the middle (where you want yours to sit at) and 120c on the right.
Oil temp is hidden in DIS menu.

abmat

VCDS Map User
I can see the oil temp rise on the gauge but in post 13 member mentions coolant ( my understanding is he means u can see thst on Dis )

pretty sure gauge is water.

abmat

VCDS Map User
Coolant temp is the permanent dial on the dash next to the fuel gauge. It's indicated by the needle and starts at 60c on the left with 90c in the middle (where you want yours to sit at) and 120c on the right.

this is only on the FL (white dash) cars right?

ch1z64

VCDS Map User
Silver Supporter
Cheers ears just so i knew what waa what . Bulbs working great mate good shout

abmat

VCDS Map User
Where is it? I’ve never seen it.

LEE69

07 170 DSG
You need to go through the menu with the buttons on the end of the stalk

I had it on my Pre FL red dials and now my FL wite ones

abmat

VCDS Map User
I know how to use it. I just don’t have oil temp. I was wondering if it had to be enabled with vcds.