How long to settle after an attempted robbery/break in

coreythorny

Reaction score
Morning all.

It's with sad news that yesterday, whilst asleep off a night shift my house was victim to an attempted break in. I say attempted, they got in.

They were after my car, (B8.5 S4).

I was first woken to loud knocking at the door, far more enthusiastic than any postman but I was awaiting a non-important parcel so just ignored it thinking it was a delivery.
As the knocking continued I thought I best just stick my head out to see if it was. I noticed a de-badged dart grey M235i outside next door but didn't think much of it.

A few moments later was REALLY loud banging at the back door. Now it's my first home, technically still young and I've never been unfortunate enough to be in a situation like this before. Not to mention coming off a night shift you're not really with it anyway.

Thinking my dog was running round like a **** I snook downstairs in my shreddies to see what was going on. I then saw a man outside my kitchen window - strange. Maybe it's the window cleaner I thought and the banging was the pole on the glass (don't laugh but like I say, I'm not awake yet).

A moment or two later, once I realise my Golden Retriever wasn't going mad, he was cowering under the table and the glass was being pushed through the door I legged it upstairs with the impending feeling of doom. Called 999, grabbed a knife (I would have done f*** all but survival instincts).

As the phone rang they had fled. I was technically lucky, I'm not a big person in ANY means. They were simply spooked I was home.

Now when the shops are open I'm re-doing all our houses security, despite being well secured originally, now going extreme.

But my fear is, I cannot sleep. Yes it only happened yesterday but every noise I'm at the window, what if my misses was home and I was out? What if I opened the door yesterday? What if I stayed in bed?

Will these fears ever go? The fact they didn't get the car should be good, but I can't help but think if they got it I wouldn't think they will be back.

We paid such a premium to live where we do thinking it's one of the securist places about and we work damn hard for what we have. But none of our lives are worth this risk.

Sad to say this has happened numerous times on ASN,I had the kitchen window hammered which resulted in major rethink on house security and the way to inconveniance them as much as possible.
The amount of times I have read members saying 'I would rip their heads off' but the harsh reality is what you said survival mode,these scumbags aren't in a deep sleep after working all day they are primed and ready to go.
Sadly thieves have cars so will travel sorry to say.

So sorry to hear about this. I think your current reaction is normal, and to be expected. You've experienced something very unsettling; forget about the car, it's the invasion of your home and the implied threat to you and those you love. My guvnor at work (a late 50s and very self-confident lady) has just experienced something very similar after thieves walked into the house while she was upstairs and picked up the keys to her husband's VW Touareg). It's going to vary from person to person but I think the fears will settle gradually. If they remain, don't hesitate to talk to someone and get counselling. Your well-being and peace of mind is paramount.

We were burgled 18 months ago took about a month or so to settle as they took every bit of jewellery and watches etc oh and wife's car as they found spare key and she had popped out with my then 4 yr old. Made a mess of both back doors and windows and ended up smashing through the glass as we had good locks.
This is what my wife walked into....

Attachments

• 20140428_145605.jpg
    20140428_145605.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20140428_145931.jpg
    20140428_145931.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 107
Bedroom where they found her key.

Attachments

• 20140428_152629.jpg
    20140428_152629.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 118
Kind words, appreciate it.

That's awful diablo. I kinda have to find myself lucky that it's just the door done but it's that fear of knowing how easy it is for it to happen again.

Yeah we had a few weeks of waking at every sound but get used to it. Hope you get sorted.

Well feeling better today.

Was a wreck this morning, on edge. Didn't know if I wanted to be in the house or out.

Put countless extra security measures in which has brought my panic down but I'm still in fear of them returning.

Reactions: voorhees