How long to complete cam-belt change

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was going to complete a cam-belt change this weekend, I've removed the front-end before & replaced water pumps & v-belts etc, but just wondered how long it takes to do the cam-belt, and if anyone has any tips or knows of a good write-up.

Assuming you've already stripped the front end off, the belt itself shouldnt take much longer than an hour.

The alignment marks are completely hopeless though, and it took me a good bit of fiddling to get it all in a position i was happy with.

Surely you had to remove the cambelt when you changed the waterpump? I did because the oil pump pulley was in the way of some of the water pump bolts. Either way, it doesn't take long at all - the hardest part is getting the front end off.

voteforpedro would you fancy giving me a hand changing mine if so how much $$$$ would you want

I've not started the job yet, just looking how long it takes to do the cam-belt bit. I'm changing the water pump as well, but its going to be a job for next weekend as I'm going to do the front discs & look at the ABS kicking in just before I stop this weekend.

Pedro, Your supposed to remove the water pump housing from the engine first, then it remove the pump from it.

Bit of hassle, but much much less hassle than removing the timing belt!

1.8T i presume?

Reactions: typertony
Hi! Type AudiWorld Technical Articles into your pc browser when you get there scroll down there you should find 19 pages with photgraphs step by step from removing the front to fitting the timing belt. I printed the lot of a kept it for future reference. regards Mike H

Pedro, Your supposed to remove the water pump housing from the engine first, then it remove the pump from it.

Bit of hassle, but much much less hassle than removing the timing belt!

I was following a guide. Ah well, I did it in the end and I learnt something from the experience so it's all good. :D

Took me about 2 hours to do my 1998 TDi.
No special tools required apart from decent Allen Keys that connect to a Qtr Drive ratchet. Got them from Halfords. Used to remove the bottom pulley on the Aux belt so I could take off teh cam belt.

All I did after that was to use tipex to mark the old belt and pulleys in 2 places on the pulley. remove old belt and mark up the new belt counting the teeth.
Put new belt on, tension and replace the aux belt.

I removed the bumper and rad to give me more space.

i've just spent 6 hours changing all the belts today. Think they were all original audi belts on there at 129,000! they were all feked. That was going slow with lunch in between tho.