How long should it last for?

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
Back in 2008 and about 40k miles ago i had the thermostat and the water temp sensor changed when the cam belt and water pump was all done, but yesterday the water temp gage decided that it wants to struggle to get to 90 if at all, now it could be a faulty water temp sensor but that was also changed,

so my question is do water temps sensors go every 4 years or is it most likely the thermostat stuck open again ?

in my experience having had all this as well, if the gauge occasionally falls to nothing then goes back up then its the sender, if its consistently around the 50-70 mark its the thermostat, bummer as winter is approaching. There was a thread a while ago where i remember a guy fitting a thermostat to one of the hoses and it worked a treat, meaning he didn't have to strip the engine down to change it prematurely. worth a look

I had this on my 1.8T, changed the temp sensor and after a few weeks the gauge started becoming faulty again so I had the thermostat changed for a Genuine Audi one

This did nothing, then I found a few sites where people were finding the same issue with GSF issued temp sensors (which is what I had bought)

So I went to Audi for a genuine one, at £34~ I think and no problems in the last few months, gets to 90'C quite quickly and stays there no matter what

The trouble with the 2.5 is the thermostat is tucked on behind the waterpump so it's a front off job. I know :(

Paul you've no choice really but to spend the £30 ish on a CTS and keep your fingers crossed.....

in my experience having had all this as well, if the gauge occasionally falls to nothing then goes back up then its the sender, if its consistently around the 50-70 mark its the thermostat, bummer as winter is approaching. There was a thread a while ago where i remember a guy fitting a thermostat to one of the hoses and it worked a treat, meaning he didn't have to strip the engine down to change it prematurely. worth a look
I fitted a remote thermostat on the B5 forum, here, 2.5TDi (and others) Thermostats , and Scrag fitted a cheaper version here 2.5tdi changing thermostat - whats involved?

Both versions seem to work fine.