How long does your heated rear screen stay on for?

/dev/null

Reaction score
With the mornings getting colder I've found the need over the last few days to use the rear heated screen. However I've noticed that it hasn't been clearing very well. After a bit of investigation I've found that once you switch it on, it then switches itself off automatically after just 5 minutes! I know they are meant to switch off automatically however 5 minutes really isn't enough to get it cleared at all. My A3 used to switch off after 20 minutes which was sufficient, however 5 is pretty pointless.Even with two lots of 5 it only just cleared.
Is everyone else's the same or is this just another problem to add to the list?

With the mornings getting colder I've found the need over the last few days to use the rear heated screen. However I've noticed that it hasn't been clearing very well. After a bit of investigation I've found that once you switch it on, it then switches itself off automatically after just 5 minutes! I know they are meant to switch off automatically however 5 minutes really isn't enough to get it cleared at all. My A3 used to switch off after 20 minutes which was sufficient, however 5 is pretty pointless.Even with two lots of 5 it only just cleared.
Is everyone else's the same or is this just another problem to add to the list?

Mine doesn't stay on at all now, it used to but doesn't work anymore (its booked in 10th Nov for this and software update etc).
I believe if you press and hold the switch (for more than 5secs I think) it then stays on until you switch it off / turn off the ignition.

Reactions: maui
Haven't had much chance to use mine however I noticed mine went off earlier than the A3 did, however I was running at max defrost and turned that off at the same time so I'll need to investigate that a bit more. One other thing is that I guess if the drive setting are set to economy that might make a difference as well...

I've had to restart it 2/3 times until it cleared the window

NickGun is right, I just tried on a trip. Just pressing the button means it will switch off after five minutes but if I press and hold for about five seconds it stays on.

What a stupid feature. I'm all for it going off automatically, but after 5 minutes!?? That's nowhere near enough time. I get that you can hold it in and keep it on, but I shouldn't be having to do "workarounds" on a 40k car really.

Reactions: Kestrel
It does say on Page 84 of the manual this it will stay on for up to 20 minutes depending on outside temperature or press and hold the button for more than 3 seconds to keep it on permanently.

It's not really a workaround as it is a feature rather than an issue. I must admit I've never come across this 'feature' before.

Can the time be adjusted via VCDS ??

What a stupid feature. I'm all for it going off automatically, but after 5 minutes!?? That's nowhere near enough time. I get that you can hold it in and keep it on, but I shouldn't be having to do "workarounds" on a 40k car really.

At least yours still works :smiley:... have only actually used ours once since May and now in this weather we need it more and more and it's now non operational :rage:

Well its nothing I will lose any sleep over what ever the cost the car, once again my magic digit can easily sort this out. Already adapted to it..

It does say on Page 84 of the manual this it will stay on for up to 20 minutes depending on outside temperature or press and hold the button for more than 3 seconds to keep it on permanently.

It's not really a workaround as it is a feature rather than an issue. I must admit I've never come across this 'feature' before.

It actually states 10-20 minutes depending upon the ambient temperature, no where does it mention 5 minutes at all and yes I have seen this behaviour before...

More than likely, but then to meet emission targets every saving counts...