how have you mounted your fmic?

Paradox1

Reaction score
May sound like a silly question but want to know how you guys have done it. I've got a toyo fmic as it should be enough cooling for stage 2. I thought about cutting the crash bar, to fit the cooler behind it or should I just mount it on the bottom if the c bar? Opinions welcome

I assume you have read the massive FMIC thread linked too in the stickies? loads of pics of them being fitted in there including eBay coolers etc...

<tuffty/>

I trim'd my crash rail then used a flat alloy plate bolted to the top of the cooler then bolted to the crash rail... allowing me to set the height with spacers, This was because i didnt have people local that could tig weld me brackets directly to the cooler.
Works for me and its a fit and forget set up

Every time I got into a thread to point someone towards the stickies Tuffty has already beaten me to it!

Anyway, check the FMIC thread mate. Also I can't see any other way of fitting the toyo cooler in without cutting the crash bar.

Just looking for you opinions and yes I have read that fmic thread. I wanted to fit it behind the bumper if possible. I have 2 silicone elbows which I will put on each side of the intercooler to try tidy up the install

Just looking for you opinions and yes I have read that fmic thread. I wanted to fit it behind the bumper if possible. I have 2 silicone elbows which I will put on each side of the intercooler to try tidy up the install

So far the only way anyone has been able to get the toyo to fit behind the bumper with keeping the fog lights was to turn the cooler upside down and have custom welder pipes onto the end tanks.

What's your thinking at the moment?

It's going on my mk4 golf so no need to worry about fogs,would just like it to look subtle as possible. As I have no welding equipment, Im thinking if I cut half of the intercooler to throttle body pipe and pull a silicone hose from that pipe to the intercooler, it should make a cleaner fit. I will update on Saturday and leg you know how it goes

Ah... all bets are off mate then... not gonna be easy to advise due to bumper shape and other such differences... can't compare fitments easily despite being the same chassis...

<tuffty/>

yay its a golf forum YAY :rockwoot:

The principles of fitting maybe more like the A3 I guess as they share the same sorta pipework but as for clearances and issues with routing pipework the shape of the bumper will dictate that and that something no one here could help with unless they have owned a Mk4 Golf before really...

Just gonna be a case of fit and measure... thats how I went about designing the 2 x AH Fabs ones I did for the S3...

<tuffty/>

Sorry, should have mentioned its for a mk4 golf earlier. Tuffty, I know exactly what you mean as the golf bumper has a curve on the lower end. I've got. Angle grinder so im sure ill be putting that to use for the best fit. I don't think it will be done in a day though,I feel it will be more of a work in progress. I'll post pictures up on Saturday

Sorry, should have mentioned its for a mk4 golf earlier. Tuffty, I know exactly what you mean as the golf bumper has a curve on the lower end. I've got. Angle grinder so im sure ill be putting that to use for the best fit. I don't think it will be done in a day though,I feel it will be more of a work in progress. I'll post pictures up on Saturday

Yeah dont try to get it done in a day or you'll rush parts of the installation. Mine took maybe a week of on/off tweaking and cutting to get it right. The bumper has been off a LOT :)

Loool I'm looking forward to it lol, the fitting of the pipework will be fine, its just im very picky of how things look so will be chopping my bumper here and there for a while. I've sprayed the pipes black aswell so even if they don't fit behind the grilles it should still be fairly hidden.....I hope

this is how i fitted my Toyo cooler
3.jpg

4.jpg

Loool I'm looking forward to it lol, the fitting of the pipework will be fine, its just im very picky of how things look so will be chopping my bumper here and there for a while. I've sprayed the pipes black aswell so even if they don't fit behind the grilles it should still be fairly hidden.....I hope

if you got the same Toyo cooler kit as me the pipes stick miles outside the bumper. had to hack it up alot to make it fit behind the bumper
i got so bored in the end i just ended up cutting the whole plastic grille out.
a3-1.jpg

when sprayed matt black its a bit more hidden
DSC_0365.jpg

but if you cut the pipes and keep playing then you can make it fit behind, spray it black and its hidden away :)
DSC_0271.jpg

^^^^^^ have you got any pics of cut down pipes etc???? I notice youve lost the fog lights, id personally like to keep mine, will that just mean getting custom pipe work made???
mines for an AUM ko3s setup

mine never had fog lights mate. i've got a new bottom bit which has the fog light holes that i am using for air intakes.

i'm going to start getting custom pipes made to take out the joins (less places to leak) and i want to keep a OEM engine bay

the cold side.
i'm using the standard intercooler to TB pipe
in the red is a straight piece of silicone cut to length
in blue in the pipe cut up to fit behind the bumper
DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

this is what it looked like before
DSC_0242.jpg

hot side
DSC_0268.jpg

is red is the 180 degree bend pipe which i cut bits off until fits behind the bumper

i bought a 1 metre black straight silicone off ebay to make my own joiners

Last edited:
thank you for that =D did the A3 come with grills without fog lights then??? dont like to have big holes where there shouldnt be, ill have to have a look behind mine before doing this, see what i can do but this is a great help

Jay do you have an agu engine if so what route did you take the piping please in bay??

stumpy83:1497852 said:
Jay do you have an agu engine if so what route did you take the piping please in bay??

As its a agu Ll the pipes go in.the same route,if you have a AUM you need to weld a flange for the map sensor(throttle body side) and weld another 6mm hose for the n75 hose to join to.

yeah i got the AGU lump

heres my bay pipes
DSC_0345.jpg

i normally keep the engine cover on, but its off in this photo

i want to get them hidden to keep the OEM looks but for now it all works

I just had my forge fmic fitted today but my intercooler was slightly different as both outlets of the intercooler was on one side, it took over a week of trial and error but have included all pics I have below plus I did cut small bits from my crash bar and inside plastic edges and bumper hope these help

My intercooler

51c219c9.jpg

Fitted using custom brackets

photo18.jpg

Now trial and error for pipe work

photo12.jpg

Pipes that where ordered

1287fff0.jpg

Now fitted sorry I know they are not great but just went out and took them a hour ago

379ab2ae.jpg

222156dd.jpg

3adb30ab.jpg

Now finished product and without hacking to much from the bumper

093d525f.jpg

Hope it helps