how hard is it to change rear springs ?

boytrigg

Reaction score
just wondering what like it would be to change the rear springs on my 2002 a4 quattro diesel as ive just bought lowering springs fitted them to the front was a nightmare to do with the pinch bolts snapping and not budging just wondering as ive never done rear springs on a car before dont fancy haveing a nightmare with bolts snapping again haha

When i did my passenger side on my fwd 1.9tdi i found my spring compressors were too bulky wasnt a lot of room, and need some good leverage to get the arm down enough to locate the spring, so it was quite tough

However i did do mine in the dark on the floor with a desk lamp and basic tools, so with adequate tools and lighting i would imagine it would be a lot easier

Haha fair play to you dan you've got to make things work with what you got I've got nothing fancy mysel I just try do all my own work that I can in the car park takes a bitty longer but get there in the end and it's also a good feeling when you achieve something il tackle it the morro hopefully don't get anymore snapped bolts

Yeh i agree you do get a sense of achievement, ive gotta fit shocks and springs all round next week, got decent toolbox now but i think ill be getting a decent prybar set before i start haha, good luck mate sure youll get it done easy enough

Reactions: boytrigg
Can't you remove the front springs/strut by removing just the top arm bolts that fasten to the top of the strut rather than removing the pinch bolt?

I know the three 14mm bolts from engine bay need to be removed and bottom shock bolt too, but by removing the rear bolts and not the front pinch bolt would be easier???

Yeah but i need to do the top arms anyway as got a advisory on one last mot, theyve never been done and i have new ones from my control arm set sat in a box with all new bolts so i might aswell do all the work while im fitting all the new shocks and springs :)

Heard it is easier to drop the sub frame on the rear to get em out, this is on the quattro though, let ya know when i do mine next week!

Cheers buddy would be great I've never done rear springs before so not very clued up haha

Usually the easiest ones you can, but then you realize the pretty four circles on the front of ya car, and think !!!
"Yeh it aint goin be that easy", lol

Haha true that nothing is ever simple with them lol had a nightmare doing the front springs the other day now I'm scared to do the rear incase it goes the same way

i did mine on the drive, not to bad at all. I undid the top bolts on the shocker and used a crowbar to lever the spring seat down enough to wiggle it out, i had to use at least one spring compressor to give me just enough to do the job. Lost a bit of skin here and there from fingers but did both in 2 hours. There was no other bolts to remove /loosen from memeory

Need to bump this up
Just had my back wheels off to check the condition of my cool overs so I can raise the rear about 35mm
(It's far too low ATM)
And the threads are seized
So I'm going to loosen the shocker and the top arm behind the caliper then try and get one spring compressor in with a crowbar. Hopefully that should
work, I didn't fit them but I watched and it looked like a PITA.

So il update this thread when I actually do them to give my input.

Drop the rear sub frame. Makes it dead easy. Put my eibach springs in a matter of minutes. Just make sure torque up the bolts.

Had mine changed 2weeks ago, garage charged me 0.75 of an hours labour to change so it is possible with correct tools and the old stuff complying :)

Well that's a positive so should take me about an hour per side at the most as it's on the drive way with most correct tools