How does quattro compare to xd rive?

jaysonD

Reaction score
I know quattro is a more legendary name and has been round for years, I was just curious how it compares to the bmw x drive which shifts power in 1/10th of a second? Not sure how quick quattro does it? How are they both in the dry and wet?

Only xdrive i have experience of us my brothers X6. In winter using winter tyres it was superb (driving to the alps, snow and ice). As many people will tell you, tyre choice seems to be the most important thing.

XDrive is technically more similar to VAG's Haldex all wheel drive.

Each will perform different depending on the circumstances. In short for normal town driving there will likely be no notable difference especially if each car has winter tyres on as well.

From my experience even a quattro car can get stuck in snow if there isn't enough momentum and with summer tyres on. I have only test driven an XDrive in the wet and it handled quite well with summer tyres on. I have a 335d which is now sporting its winter wheels - totally transforms the car in the snow :) (not that we've had any yet!) speaking from my experience a few years ago when there was snow.

last bmw i had 330d e60 wouldnt even move with 5 mm snow , except backwards down the hill when in drive , ****** pizza delivery man did a 3 point turn in his £300 fiesta as he couldnt get past me , i ended up 20 foot further down the hill , would never have another bmw even though they are luxury to drive