How do you wash your microfibre cloths ?

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
How does everyone wash their microfibre cloths?

Generally they'll be an assortment of ones used for interior , windows, wheels, black hole , wax and don't want this combination cross contaminating all my cloths and pads

I read somewhere don't use washing powder.. I tried it , but everything came out still with product in them,
It wasn't visible but when I tried dying car after a wash I could tell there was still some waxy products that had now got onto my drying cloths.
though I did put quite soiled applicator pads in the wash as well and they came out still still full of product.

I could always bin the applicator pads , the yellow foam ones look like they might be best as throwaway and they are quite cheap.
But the cloth covered Halfords ones seem they should take a few washes.

For stuff that has wax or polish on it like the yellow foam applicators I wash in the sink with hot water and washing up liquid then rinse well. I then chuck the whole lot in a 40C wash in the machine with washing liquid. Been doing this for years with no issues. I think the key is to pre wash or rinse anything really dirty or full of product in the sink.

Reactions: Klickflip
Plenty detergent and fairy liquid and It's fabric softener like comfort you don't use ,
it makes them all soft and the fibres don't absorb water as good if you add comfort

yeah I saw on youtube on a big American detailers company to not use fabric softener as it actually coats all the fibres to be / look fluffy but makes them less absorbent.
But read on forum post to not use detergent as it degrades and hardens the fibres.

I'm thinking , some washing powder is needed to wash out the wax / products but conditioner not .
A prewash in fairy is good call too.

I think using laundry liquid rather than powder just lessens the risk of undisolved powder scratching the paint. I use Sainsburys colour liquid (as that's what the Mrs has in the cupboard :D) works fine.

Reactions: Klickflip and Bristle Hound
Just use regular soap powder not with conditioner. If they're in very grimy state I hand pre wash with Bilt Hamber Surfex (although I guess any APC will do) before chucking them in the machine. Even if they are dried on the line I always pop in the tumble dryer on LOW heat for a few minutes to fluff up the fibres

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Always Fairy washing liquid at 40 degrees C & then tumble dried

Reactions: Klickflip and scotty76
I use sonus microfiber wash liquid. They come out clean, fluffy and absorbent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jungle650, Brasso and Klickflip
I soak mine in warm water with washing up liquid. After washing machine on 30-40 C

Due to work we wash 1000s microfiber cloths weekly and can say any softener will ruin the cloth

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

These sound like reasonably good advice, difficult decision though to separate out if you're only washing a few towels

AmmoNYC

Junkman2000 (affiliated with The Rag Company)

I always wondered how long and if you could leave towels dirty so you could 'do a load'

Reactions: jungle650 and Klickflip
I have no issue washing 5 or 6 towels on their own on a 20 min quick wash

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Once I have used a microfiber cloth I throw it away, I have tried washing them but they are never the same as a fresh one.

try using megs/carpro ones, they are about 10 times the cost, but will do a better job and should wash clean

or apply less wax ;)

Reactions: Klickflip, Taxboy and daytonamart
Think main problem was not using any detergent, so they all came out contaminated and greasy.

Washed them last week with polish pads at 40 with Surf ..and microfibres are clean no residue .
Polish pads appear to clean but stained from black hole and nattys . Which is fine because they'll only be used for that.

Trying to use a colour coded scheme for dying-blue, dirty cleaning -dark blue, interior-green/pink , and buffing- large plush yellow one.

Now where are my zip bags and sticky labels...!

Reactions: craigwhelan and scotty76
My wash mitts need a clean too, what are peoples thoughts on this?

I use the Meguiars ones.

My wash mitts need a clean too, what are peoples thoughts on this?

I use the Meguiars ones.
If they are sheepskin get some washing liquid or powder (these are usually pure soap) suitable for woollens - supermarket own brand is fine and wash them by hand. Let them drip dry. Do NOT let them anywhere near the tumble dryer

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Djs3saloon and daytonamart
Recently washed mine by hand. Soaked in for 20-30 minutes and gave a good hand rub.

If lazy after polishing, just drop them into the washing machine with non-bio washing powder and on a quick 35min/40degree wash.

Also if they get really oily bung then in the washing machine with a dishwasher tablet ;)