How do you turn engine the over without starting it..stood for the last 18 months

AdamsDad

Reaction score
Almost ready to go back on the road after a few little mods, but want to get the oil flowing around her 1st so ?? I could jst unplug sparks but dont believe thats right..or is it

let it start and idle. when its started the oil presure rises and feeds oil to all the places it should go to. you wont get the same effect if you just turn it over and over you will do more harm than good. why dont you want it to start ?

i'd just start it, but if your really worried, then remove the spark plugs, and unplug the fuel injectors, and wind it over for 10-20secs on the starter.

it doesnt matter how long it has been laying as long as there is a drop of fresh fuel and a good battery once he fires it up the oil will be up round it in seconds as long as he lets it idle for a while.

Agreed, drop a bit of fresh oil in the filler cap, good battery and away you go.

Once warm, gentle increase in engine speed and then after a 10 mile run drop the oil and filter and get some fresh fuel into it.
I would be of mind to whip the plugs out and clean them and also look at the other filters, air and fuel too.

Should be fine though bud.

if you don't want to start it just pull the fuel pump fuse. turn over for as long as you can before the battery goes flat. put the fuse back and start

If your worried about the lack of oil, then remove the spark plugs.

Winding it over with just the fuel pump disabled means the bearings that your worried about are all running dry against the compression of the motor. With the plugs out, theres vastly reduced load on the bearings, as theres no compression, plus the engine will spin faster, meaning the oil pressure will rise quicker.

will someone please tell me why you wouldnt want the engine to start ? starting the engine gets the oil presure up in seconds and heats the engine up a treat on idle..

most wear occurs in the first few minutes of starting up a motor but cranking the oil round is a good idea as the top end will be bone dry of oil after that long mate, but really not that big a deal if you used the car daily after its first start then only that one was a dry start anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats my point cranking it over does put the oil up round it yes but when you start it the oil is up round it within seconds and it has a nice steady oil presure. i know its dry but but its not far off being the same as when it was started last. oil lays in the head and other parts anyway..

I'm of the opinion that if you just remove the fuel pump, and wind it over on the starter, then its not really any better for the engine than just starting it.

If you are worried, then removing the plugs before winding it over is the only way to get the oil moving without subjecting the bearings etc to load.

Once running, its a good idea to actually just drive off, rather than letting the engine warm up at tick over. Engines should not be warmed up at idle.

thanks mate im glad someone agrees with me.. but i disagree about the idle bit, the cars been laying for 18 mths **** knows whats siezed up..

If the engine was in good order last time it was used and left with a good oil level and a decent coolant mix in it, then I can't see why anything would be seized? I'd be more worried about damp/corroded electricals if anything
Si.

yep, although it'd be sensible to check those over before trying to start the engine, so that once its running, you can take it for a spin round the block for a bit of a shakedown.

Seems kinda pointless just to start the engine then stand there looking at it.

he might stand and say, **** me it started lol....