How do you remove the audi rings from the front grille?

SilureMark

Reaction score
Probably a piece of pish to do, but just in case, thought I'd get some advice first! I've got a gloss black audi ring badge to replace the shiny chrome one - looks to me that I can just prise off the OEM badge? I asked the Dealer this question and was told the entire front grille needs to be removed as the badge is secured from behind. I then asked the company I bought the badge from and they say, just get a screw driver and it comes off by prising it off. That obviously conflicts with Audi. So, who's right? Thanks in advance of any advice. Itching to put it on my S3!!! Got black audi and S3 rear badges too, but they're easy, de-badged loads of cars on my time - masking tape to enable re-fit of new badges, hair dryer to soften glue, fishing line to pull off badge, tar remover or white spirit to dissolve and remove residue - job done.

In all seriousness i'm pretty sure they are connected via lugs at the back and not stuck on so it may end up snapping by trying to remove.

This is correct, I put black rings on mine and the front ones you have to get your hand down behind the grill to unclip it. It was a ball ache tbf but the entire grill doesn't need to come off

IMG 20140606 151322

Reactions: SilureMark
Sorry to jump on but how do you remove the S3 badge from the front? If I do does anybody know what is left?
Thanks

Cheers fellas. I'll have to work out how to get my hand behind the grill to unclip it then. I had a look this morning and it didn't look too obvious how I can do that; I'll work it out but I have a feeling this will be a bit of a faff. The company selling the badges emailed me to say, "It simply unclips. Just ease it off with a screw driver. We have sold hundreds of these... blah, blah, blah" and so it goes on. Obviously if they told the truth people would be put off buying them. Looks like Sunday mornings entertainment is now scheduled... at least I don't have to dismantle the front of my car. Thanks again for the replies. Mark.

Can't you see from the black one how the clips on the original will work? Or do you just glue the black one on?

You can ease it off with a small flat screwdriver! Do it on the underside of the badge to get an opening and gently relieve it all the way around. Be careful not to gouge the surrounding grill.

Reactions: SilureMark
Cheers fellas. I'll have to work out how to get my hand behind the grill to unclip it then. I had a look this morning and it didn't look too obvious how I can do that; I'll work it out but I have a feeling this will be a bit of a faff. The company selling the badges emailed me to say, "It simply unclips. Just ease it off with a screw driver. We have sold hundreds of these... blah, blah, blah" and so it goes on. Obviously if they told the truth people would be put off buying them. Looks like Sunday mornings entertainment is now scheduled... at least I don't have to dismantle the front of my car. Thanks again for the replies. Mark.

Sunday morning ! Not going to Inters?

Used a screw driver to prise off the badge last night; once I'd released one connection point, I was able to pull it off by hand (no jokes please). So, easy peasy and only took me about 30 seconds! The new badge just clipped into place. Mind you, getting close and personal to my front grille revealed two horrible stone chips I hadn't noticed. I know you have to expect that, but I've only had the car a few weeks. Oh well, the black badge looks good. Can't make up my mind about changing the rear badges yet...

WP 20140703 002

Last edited:
I did the rear too! looks great IMO!!! just a bit more difficult to do!

fishing line, a bottle of White spirit, masking tape to frame the badge as a template for new one (having said that, my new black one is a tad smaller!

also removed the S3 badges and just left the black MTM one on the back :)

Reactions: ukm_1 and SilureMark
Yeah, just more time consuming to remove the stuck on badges, but I think pretty easy. I've done it on lots of cars I have owned. Mind you, that all depends on how good your missis' hair dryer is! LOL! I'm going to mock up what it'll look like in photoshop and go from there. I can always change it back if I don't like it. Think it may look good - I have a black Audi ring badge for the rear and a black S3 badge:

Audi s chrome 01

Used a screw driver to prise off the badge last night; once I'd released one connection point, I was able to pull it off by hand (no jokes please). So, easy peasy and only took me about 30 seconds! The new badge just clipped into place. Mind you, getting close and personal to my front grille revealed two horrible stone chips I hadn't noticed. I know you have to expect that, but I've only had the car a few weeks. Oh well, the black badge looks good. Can't make up my mind about changing the rear badges yet...

View attachment 36065

Do you have some pics of your car, I'm thinking about going black

Thanks

I did the rear too! looks great IMO!!! just a bit more difficult to do!

fishing line, a bottle of White spirit, masking tape to frame the badge as a template for new one (having said that, my new black one is a tad smaller!

also removed the S3 badges and just left the black MTM one on the back :)

Any pics? Thinking of doing same on mine

I'll do some pics and post them once I have put the rear badge on. Had plenty of good feedback on the grille. Still can't believe the dealer wanted to charge me to fit that badge and was adamant the whole grille had to come off. I mean the job took me less than a minute and the new badge just clipped into place. Just shows the value of these forums. Thanks again. Mark.

That is quite scandalous IMO - yeah takes 1 min ha!

ill be oulling my bumper off next week when my black grill arrives so ill post a how to on that too. Im going to fit some hidden mesh too after the horrer stories of stones holing A/C condensors and radiatiors :-0

I'll do some pics and post them once I have put the rear badge on. Had plenty of good feedback on the grille. Still can't believe the dealer wanted to charge me to fit that badge and was adamant the whole grille had to come off. I mean the job took me less than a minute and the new badge just clipped into place. Just shows the value of these forums. Thanks again. Mark.

Sorry, but I think that just looks really bland now.

I think you really need the Audi rings at least. Maybe a set of the black ones rather than chrome if you want a different look?

Reactions: steeve and The Challinor
Sorry, but I think that just looks really bland now.

I think you really need the Audi rings at least. Maybe a set of the black ones rather than chrome if you want a different look?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Personally I love it. I do have a set of black rings if I fancy a change. Although getting them on in the right place now will be fun lol

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Where did you get the dark rear light lenses Marc? i like that look!

Debadged the rear of mine completely

I like that, although with my car, I think it looks better with the badges left on. I'm just waiting for the gloss black S3 badge to arrive and then it'll be job done. The black rings are now fitted on the rear and look so much better. They're a little smaller than the OEM badge, which IMO just makes it look even better. Will post picies when the transformation is complete. Already had a total stranger walk up to me in the services this morning and tell me my car looked 'awesome'. He did then ask if it was an S3 (doh) and did it have a 2 litre or 3 litre engine. Oh well ... the compliment was well meant.

I like that, although with my car, I think it looks better with the badges left on. I'm just waiting for the gloss black S3 badge to arrive and then it'll be job done. The black rings are now fitted on the rear and look so much better. They're a little smaller than the OEM badge, which IMO just makes it look even better. Will post picies when the transformation is complete. Already had a total stranger walk up to me in the services this morning and tell me my car looked 'awesome'. He did then ask if it was an S3 (doh) and did it have a 2 litre or 3 litre engine. Oh well ... the compliment was well meant.

Be interested in seeing it with the black badge. Could be tempted to switch.
Nothing better than a compliment from a stranger, means your doing something right ha

Anyone got a link for the front Audi rings in gloss black. Ordered some off ebay for the S3 but were too small when I went to put them on, said they were for the A3 aswell :(.

Anyone got a link for the front Audi rings in gloss black. Ordered some off ebay for the S3 but were too small when I went to put them on, said they were for the A3 aswell :(.

It's for this reason that I purchased actual Audi ones and had a body shop prep & paint them

As it happens mines going in to the body shop on Wednesday after some yank muppet drove into me in a car park so I'll just get them to sort it.

It's for this reason that I purchased actual Audi ones and had a body shop prep & paint them

The ones I bought fitted perfectly and quality wise are identical to the ones I took off my S3. No need to spend three times as much buying identical badges from Audi and then going to the trouble of getting them painted, there really isn't. You do need to check the size before you buy as the front rings on the 8v are slightly larger than on other Audis.

Here's the link to Car Style Direct and the badges for the 8v. Note the rear rings are slightly smaller than the original chrome ones, but IMO they look better that way. This lot deliver super quick as well, I ordered mine on a Monday afternoon and they arrived the following morning. Here you go:

AUDI A3 & S3 Gloss Black Badge Set Front Grill and Rear Boot Emblem Rings Badges | eBay

Reactions: RobH_S3
This is correct, I put black rings on mine and the front ones you have to get your hand down behind the grill to unclip it. It was a ball ache tbf but the entire grill doesn't need to come off

View attachment 36011
Hi. I am about to do this but I can't figure out how to get to the grille from behind. Can you tell me exactly how you did it? Have you removed any part to do that? Cheers

Hi. I am about to do this but I can't figure out how to get to the grille from behind. Can you tell me exactly how you did it? Have you removed any part to do that? Cheers

Post #15 (to save you scrolling)

View attachment 36065

Hi Ben, thanks for this. However I'd like to avoid using a screw driver to do that. I was interested to know how to unclip the badge getting to the grille from behind as someone did.

very wise I wouldn't want to attack the front of mine with a screwdriver either....best of luck, I would imagine from the underside, dropping the under tray and reaching up with a lanky arm