How do you put your mp3s onto your RNS-E SD cards?

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I just accidently discovered I can view any directory on my computer, and navigate around, through firefox:

file:///C:/folder/folder/etc

So I have tried it for my music:

file:///C:/Users/Leon/Music/My%20Music/

And it displays all my album folders in a clear and concise way (apologies if I'm 10 years behind the times).

It has prompted me to ask the above question, which I have wondered for a while.

I have all my mp3 tracks in folders named <artist> - <album>. To put the music on the SD I simply drag and drop after deleting some space of course. I don't like messing with M3U files as I don't need them on the RNS-E.

Does anyone know of any software which is good for syncing with another drive?

Basically what I would like is something that has the same interface as Sony's Sonicstage. When you connect a device it shows your library in a list on the left and the contents of your device in a list on the right. You then simply delete (well transfer to library but it's essentially the same) the albums you don't want anymore and then transfer from the library the new ones. All the while there is a bar at the top with a used/free space meter.

This is it in it's basic form. It can be set up a lot better though. On mine it's just the lists of albums on both sides.

SonicStage.jpg

I've had a search around but can't find anything. I have tried WMP and Media Monkey sync but they create folders all over and M3U files where they're not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

I have my music arranged with the artist name as the first folder and then that artists albums in sub folders with the tracks in there. I just copied the album folders I wanted in the car onto the SD card.

I have my music arranged with the artist name as the first folder and then that artists albums in sub folders with the tracks in there. I just copied the album folders I wanted in the car onto the SD card.

Yeah I don't like having them like that as I don't always want every album from an artist in my car at once so then I have to play about to select only the ones I want. I have 11 Radiohead albums for example!

That's not my question though mate but thanks.

Yeah I don't like having them like that as I don't always want every album from an artist in my car at once so then I have to play about to select only the ones I want. I have 11 Radiohead albums for example!

That's not my question though mate but thanks.

I dont have every album for the artist on the card. Just copy the Album folder not the artist folder with all the albums in it. If you want another album delete one you dont listen to and add the one you want. I cant really see what a program to sync up the card is achieving, your just copy and pasting and deleteing in a program instead of in windows.

I dont have every album for the artist on the card. Just copy the Album folder not the artist folder with all the albums in it. If you want another album delete one you dont listen to and add the one you want. I cant really see what a program to sync up the card is achieving, your just copy and pasting and deleteing in a program instead of in windows.

Yes but I like to have the artist name also on the folder so they all appear together. Also I can simply look in my music folder and select different albums all at the same time then drag and drop them at once. I don't have to go into folders. Ever.

A program would make it a lot easier because I can see both lists at the same time and also I can see how much space is let on the card at a glance rather than by checking properties.

Anyone who has used Sonicstage for a while should understand what I'm talking about.

Incidently, I used iTunes for the first time recently and thought it was very primitive! Sonicstage is very good, but obsolete.

Not really sure what you're looking for Leon, but I probably won't be able to help you out.

I have all by stuff in Artist\Album directories and just copy the ones I want over using explorer. Works for me and I over 1000 different albums on my computer, but you appear to want something a bit easier to sync with.

Last time I used sonic stage was for my old minidisc player. I found it truely awful and without doubt the worse thing about sony minidisc. I guess its what you get used to though.

After trying various programs and methods I ended up using Tag&Rename program. Initially it was a bit tricky but with a lot of potential and very easy as you get acustomed.
Recommended!

Try "id3tagit" for all your track naming pleasures.

I tried it, but it blew my brains...it doesnt help having the patience of an angry beaver either ... Good luck ;)

No nothing to do with naming tracks or tagging them or creating M3U files.

I thought the screenshot of Sonicstage would help to explain it better than in words. I'll fire up my Sonicstage later on and plug in my Sony mp3 player then take a better screenshot.

I am using explorer at the moment and dragging and dropping, which is fine, but after using SS for about 5 years it just seems like a step backwards. In fact a leap!

I know SS is widely regarded as being a pain in the butt but I have always got on with it and it makes perfect sense to me. There a lots of little featrures which make tranfering tracks/albums from the library to a device a peice of pee.

WMP does nearly what I want, but as I mentioned before it puts everything into sub directories (as it does when ripping a CD in the first place) then creates all the M3U files which RNS-E doesn't recognise.

I prefer to have all my albums in folders labelled as stated above because navigating between tracks on the RNS-E is then a lot easier.

I may try WMP again and see if I can get used to the navigation.

I don't think I'll find anything that works exactly as I want it to but I also wondered what methods you all use.