How do you drive a Quattro?

funguf

Sunday Driver
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to fast cars and Quattro, coming from a 1.6 8V Astra I would appreciate any tips you guys might have for country roads/wet/gravel/over taking tips and what gears to use that sort of thing.

I did snakes pass the other day in the wet, that was kinda scary...but fun!

Thanks!

No special techniques required for road use.

Don't forget you still have the same number of brakes as everybody else, so if you go too quick into a corner quattro will not help.

So you want slow in, fast out. You'll find you can put your foot down far earlier than a 2WD and remain controlled and accelerating. Especially for rough back roads.

Generally 4WD also understeers as FWD does but a bit more of a four wheel drift. If you get this on the road I'd say you're pushing way too hard.

Spot on Southpaw66.

Certainly on my previous S3, like most Audi's, it understeered first, to let you know you were approaching the limit. I've had a little taster that my new S3 does the same, but not pushed to far yet. Personally, I have never had the bottle to try the rumoured 4wd technique of "powering through the understeer", i.e. keep your foot-in or give more throttle, power should be sent rearwards and thus cancel out the understeer. But on public roads, it would be stupid to try. Airfield or track would be the ideal place.

AL

AL_B said:
Personally, I have never had the bottle to try the rumoured 4wd technique of "powering through the understeer", i.e. keep your foot-in or give more throttle, power should be sent rearwards and thus cancel out the understeer.
AL

I heard that comment been made also on the WRC Rally.

Would love to try it......but not enough bottle!!!!!

AL_B said:
Personally, I have never had the bottle to try the rumoured 4wd technique of "powering through the understeer", i.e. keep your foot-in or give more throttle, power should be sent rearwards and thus cancel out the understeer.
Have done this a couple of times in an A4 1.8TQ and trust me it works. The first time you do it it is a bit scary (especially if you do it by accident!), but after that you get used to it and begin to enjoy it. Although, in saying that, I do know somebody why tried to do the same in another one and he went a bit wide and rolled it!

Also did that and it works, in doubt I don't lift off the accelerator, I either keep it or press it down and let the quattro work!

Of course excessive speed cannot be compensated by quattro. The best way to test/feel the quattro in action is in a concentric, large and traffic free roundabout. Second gear, slowly put mor speed until you start noticing the rear wheels have some drive and the car perfectly controlled, give it more and more and a 4 wheel controlled drift is achieved... Love it! Don't need to be agressive, great fun this car...

If you lift you loose the rear wheel engagement, possibly causing more difficulty controlling the car, for me is trust the quattro and keep the throttle!

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
If you lift you loose the rear wheel engagement, possibly causing more difficulty controlling the car, for me is trust the quattro and keep the throttle!
yup... used to love taking a large three-lane roundabout near my house in the A4 1.8TQ until one day some granny in a micra or fiesta or something like that decided to pull out onto the roundabout as if I wasn't there. Was forced to lift off and the back got a bit giddy. managed to get out of her way then gunned it again to pull everything back into line.

AL_B said:
Spot on Southpaw66.

AL

Did it a lot on my 1.8TQ with no ESP only EDL. The first time had a very twichy **** (not the car) and afterwards loved it.

My recommendations to learn quattro driving...

Find a few usual places you know of, roundabouts and the like to repeadedly learn what will happen when you push the car. If you do choose the road (your call on this one) make sure no one is about (hence the roundabout as an example) and make sure you can clearly see the rest of the road and not impact anyone else.

You probably have haldex so if it gets hairy take your foot off the accelerator then re apply it and the car does sort itself out (shifts the power forwards same as a FWD car and scrubs off speed).
If you have torsen !!don't do this!! else you will be in the hedge/wall/verge*
*delete as approprate (as this pushes the car wide like a RWD)

Keep ESP ON for the first few times, this way you can learn how the car tries to stop you doing something potentially stupid, then repeat but with ESP off to learn how the power shifts through the use of EDL only which is still used when ESP is not active.

I learnt on a non ESP car and the lessons were invaluable so when ESP arrived on my last S3 I hardly ever saw it come on under quite quick driving.

I'd recommend running in the wet and dry to realise how the car car cope with almost the same speeds in most situations.

Do remember if you get it wrong, quattros dont brake very well when going sideways!

I'd recommend approaching the roundabout first time to line up the quattro as if you were to push a RWD car round it but at normal speeds, turn in and once into the apex, power down as you might when pushing a RWD car to go wide out of a corner except you wont power slide out, you will sling shot out.

Once you have done this a few times you can then line yourself up between the FWD and RWD positioning to enter the roundabout for the RWD but progressively apply more and more power in the corner until ESP reigns you in.

The next thing to do is to learn you can carry more speed through the corner around 8-10 MPH when entering in and maintain the most of the speed through the roundabout as some of the speed is scrubbed off by the cornering forces, for this just keep even power applied through the corner, you may see ESP kick in part way round the corner if you are going in to fast or on a too tight approach angle.

Afterwards its a question of mixing the two skills to get the fastest speed and momentum into, round and out of the roundabout.

Afterwards turn ESP off !!!don't be as ***** as before!!! and repeat to see how EDL shifts power without the brakes being kicked in/engine retarded to stablise the car.

Once happy, try the same in the wet, although i don't recommend ESP off unless you are a Audi test driver as I don't fancy my new S3 in a hedge in the wet, neither I'm sure do you fancy your quattro!!

The only other note i'd say is check the tyre pressures as i found on my last A3 and S3 (both quattro) that a 1-2 PSI loss on one tyre throws out the driving experience a lot, so much so I check my tyre pressure once a week if not more and have the tyre pressure warning fitted on my new S3 because of it.

The other point is NEVER mix different manufacturer tyrpes on any of the 4 driven wheels at any time as this can throw the whole cars hendling out even more then a 1-2 PSI drop in one tyre. I had this through a Kwikfit fitter :asskicking: and nearly ended up in a bollard sideways in the pouring rain at fairly low speeds (under 30 MPH).

Thats the best I can offer from speaking to a couple of Audi techncians about how quattro worked and their comments to me on how to learn what it is doing.

Hope it helps.

ESP will make up for all but the grossest stupidity in my experience.

I can confirm that you can power out of understeer. It's not a good idea to rely on this on public roads - there's little room for error and also the road surface can drastically affect how this manoeuvre turns out.

Slow into the corner, power out is the way to go....

hanger lane in west london on a quiet early morning with no traffic has to be the best place for power slides.

truly awesome

Is that accelerate before you start turning or after?

well i would imagine you put the key in first???

that would be correct and maybe petrol if it's empty

Isn't this a bit OTT ?
It's not a TVR,it's not going to bite you or have you in a hedge at the merest hint of hot-headedness.
It's an Audi.
It's going to be predictable and safe,otherwise the litigation lawyers would be having a field-day.
I can't recall ever hearing "ooh those Audis mate,you need to learn to drive one of them properly"
No offence.

I think, bowfer, the question here is not if the car is edgy or dangerous it is actually how to take the best use out of the Haldex quattro system...

It is not plug'n'play... specially if you never drove a quattro before, it might take a while to really trust the AWD and know how it works... it is not rockect science either...

Pedro