How do people buy tyres nowadays?

Part worms aren't much better than ditch finders, where do they even come from? Crashed cars? Insurance write offs? No thanks.

Part worns come mainly from people who get a single puncture and then get the pair changed thus leaving one partworn, If you had 2 punctures on one side but get the 4 replaced then that would be 2 spare part worn tyres..

Or they come from people like me who change their tyres when they don't like them. I had some P zeros put on and had them for about 6000miles and really didn't like them so had all 4 taken off and uniroyals put on and haven't looked back.. Tempted to try Vreds or PS3..

Whats the differnce between vreds that have already done 2000miles and a set thats been on your car for 2000miles. Not much really...

Problem with part worns is that you dont really know what youre getting.The tyre could have bee kerbed and the sidewall damaged that is not visible.If its a private sale then maybe, but youre never certain.

Camskill or Blackcircles for me (especially with their extra return buyer discounts etc) though I have used Mytyres too. Usually Blackcircles for road tyres and Camskill for the track stuff like R888's.

Have to say I found the budget tyre discussion amusing. Here's a link to the Evo 2012 Summer Tyre test to add a few facts, the results are easy enough to understand - stay with the quality brands for high performance tyres on quick cars:2012 EVO Max Performance Tyre Test | the online tyre guide

Strange that most tests are differant, I had four conti sp3's and thought they were shyte so I ebayed them.I rate the bridgestone s001s much higher than the contis.The vredstein is highly rated by forum users.You cant win!!Im running conti sp5p's at the mo, and apart from having a soft sidewall grips like s to a blanket in wet and dry.The next poster might disagree!!

He's right though - go do some reading, find any test that shows good performing budget tyre. They're for *******.

No it's not a generalisation it is true, go look up the figures of any tyre test. Its not about hooning is about stopping distance. Look at stopping from 70 figures. Budget tyres generally take 10m or more to stop at that speed, that puts you through the car infront. You're blinded by saving a few quid, they're a liability to you and the person you hit.

I can't see how you can run a decent car, chav it up the the hilt with a wrap and 20" alloys but not spend a few extra quid on decent tyres which will not only improve handling but will also make you safer.

i just did some calcs in excel to work out the costs of part worns for my size 255/35 19 contisport 3's using the camskill price as the new price, saying new tyres 8mm of tread and taking into account £10 each to fit them at each change

the result...... most of the part worn ones on ebay are bad value! (apart from the ones that have had sidewall repairs etc)

i just did some calcs in excel to work out the costs of part worns for my size 255/35 19 contisport 3's using the camskill price as the new price, saying new tyres 8mm of tread and taking into account £10 each to fit them at each change

the result...... most of the part worn ones on ebay are bad value! (apart from the ones that have had sidewall repairs etc)

true when worked out that way.
but id rather buy a good branded second hand tyre with 5mm on it for the same price as a new budget (obviously with 8mm on it).

No it's not a generalisation it is true, go look up the figures of any tyre test. Its not about hooning is about stopping distance. Look at stopping from 70 figures. Budget tyres generally take 10m or more to stop at that speed, that puts you through the car infront. You're blinded by saving a few quid, they're a liability to you and the person you hit.

I can't see how you can run a decent car, chav it up the the hilt with a wrap and 20" alloys but not spend a few extra quid on decent tyres which will not only improve handling but will also make you safer.
TBH I totally agree - it's not about how fast you drive, you can't compromise on tyres and blindly ignore the fact the fact that it is others you put at risk too. If you don't care about yourself, that's one thing.. but the person you hit:no: thats plain selfish.
I have some special plastic tyres for my R/C car that make it brilliant for practising drifting at slow speeds.. or for the road, you can do the local favourite of the little boy racer fwd cars - put macdonalds plastic tray under each rear tyre, lock hand brake on, and go!.. Admittedly I've only seen it done in a carpark, but the grip level ( or lack of ) left me speechless :)

Seriously though, if you're not on a budget dude, why skimp - at least go mid-range! Just be thankful you only got little wheels - my q7 tyres are £340 each on a mid range tyre!

i dont know how people with q7s can run them tbh.... what with the 6000mile service consisting of just front brakes and front tyres!

I'm starting to wonder myself:think:... There is a cunning little way around the tyres thing, but if I told you I'd have to kill ya!:ninja:

A3s have depreciated to the point where even the knuckle draggers can afford them it would seem. I'm bored of arguing with you.

You can put your fingers in your ears and shout about how awesome your Chinese tat tyres are all you want.

You havent discovered some secret and everyone else is wrong, you're being cheap and dim witted. Every tyre test ever disagrees with you, they can't all be wrong.

Its absolutely no skin off my nose what you put on your chav mobile, just don't advise other people to do the same.

Last edited:
You're just like my mrs.. Start an argument, then when you get pulled up on it hide behind "I'm not arguing - it's all you".. That's bad enough, but this is a technical forum designed to give safe, savvy advice to those asking - and yours is neither. Opinions are like *****, every **** has one, but yours are just designed to get under people's skin and not based on trying to help others. All this "full stop, move on" crap helps no one and only serves to push people away from what is normally a fantastic resource for all things Audi :( such a shame

true when worked out that way.
but id rather buy a good branded second hand tyre with 5mm on it for the same price as a new budget (obviously with 8mm on it).

i dont think you got all what i said...... your better off buying the new branded with 8mm on, as the same brand part worn is bad value when you work out the cost per usable mm and £10 for changing tyre

buy a new with 6.4mm of usable tread + £10 for fit
or 2 part worns with 3.2mm of usable tread + £20 to fit twice

you might be lucky to save £10 in total so unless you can avoid any shipping if they are v local or you can fit for free or you win the tyres v cheap most ebay part worns arnt worth it

i dont think you got all what i said...... your better off buying the new branded with 8mm on, as the same brand part worn is bad value when you work out the cost per usable mm and £10 for changing tyre

buy a new with 6.4mm of usable tread + £10 for fit
or 2 part worns with 3.2mm of usable tread + £20 to fit twice

you might be lucky to save £10 in total so unless you can avoid any shipping if they are v local or you can fit for free or you win the tyres v cheap most ebay part worns arnt worth it

well of course if you can afford to go buy a new michelin for 130 its going to work out better value than paying 70 for a part worn with 5mm on it.
what i mthought you meant was would you rather buy part worn michelin for 70 or a cheap new budget for 70? id go with the part worn.

and yes i have free use of the tyre machine at work.

Anyone with the new BE rotors had theirs done yet, those wheels look prime for a ham-fisted tyre swapper to knacker the polished edge...

I thought I was being cheap buying Nankangs!
laugh.gif

:iagree:

tyresavings.com seemd to be better than blackcircles and mytyres etc and I just called my local Kwik-fit who proce matched plus another couple of quid off. That brought the cost of 2x 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2 down from £262 to £206, happy days!! Incidentally they won the Auto express tyre test 2011, beating all the leading competitors!!

Tyre Test 2011 | Products | Auto Express

well of course if you can afford to go buy a new michelin for 130 its going to work out better value than paying 70 for a part worn with 5mm on it.
what i mthought you meant was would you rather buy part worn michelin for 70 or a cheap new budget for 70? id go with the part worn.

and yes i have free use of the tyre machine at work.

maybe.. for me 255/35 19" £195.59 from camskill
the max i'd want to pay for a 5mm ebay tyre delivered is £99.22 if it was 5.5mm i'd pay £115.28

its welll worth working out your prices as some of the ebay tyres are £££££

Oh man the tyre manufacturers have done a number on you guys, you've all been well and truly bent over. I'm willing to give any tyre a fair chance, I won't write them off just because they're cheap. About 9,000 miles covered and I'm still smiling.

Right, I don't want to start arguing, but reading through some of your posts, I think you need to see this...

Tyre Safety: Premium v. Budget Tyres Wet Braking Test - Continental Car Tyres - YouTube

Just imagine those foam blocks are a child, or a relative's child... Or your child.

And just so I'm not accused of being off topic...

Camskill FTW!!! Delivery straight to your door and the cheapest I've managed to find Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas for :)

Conti Sport 5's for me all the way, regardless of cost, best all round grip, stopping distance in all conditions. Had budgets on previous cars do have never been against them, now days, I see the light. Kelvin, put a set of premiums on your car and take it round a wet track, you will see, all these negative replies you have been disagreeing with are true Fact.

Camskill, Blackcircles, mytyres, all are good and cheap, just compare them at the time of purchase to get the best price

I compare prices with black circles, and barter with my local tyre company, who I know will not damage my alloys.
I never go budget. Always Michelin.

I'm with you on that PaulS3... You may pay more for a Michelin but they last 20k miles!

Oh and talking of budgets... Well Audi's don't come out of the showroom with them on so why would you ever fit such rubbish to a premium car.

I've used Event Tyres twice, first time they mashed my alloys a bit on my 3 series, second time they were as good as gold (I should have kept a closer eye on the guy the first time).

Their prices have been pretty competitve and they come to wherever you are which is a real bonus...