How do I sort this mess out

Gilly

Reaction score
Due to an unwelcomed encounter with a wheelie bin, I had to have my door resprayed a couple of months back.
It looked fine for a while, but now my door looks like this when the sun shines on it, and i am not entirely sure how to go about putting it right.
It may need to go back to the garage, but thought i would see if there is a simple fix first i could do my self and save hassle

Any help would be appreciated
Photo029.jpg

ps: Environmental debates not welcome :)

Looks to me as though its just micro marring. It happens when they mop the car over and not break the compound down properly and leave micro scratches, therefor u get that. Its not to hard to get it sorted just need it machines polishes with a finishing polish

As above, the defects are rotary swirls and holograms left behind due to bad workmanship and poor quality polishes - not unusual in the trade I'm sad to say. The paint now needs to be polished properly to remedy the problem. In all honesty doing it by hand is going to be extremely hard work, and you may not be able to fully correct the problem, due to the typical hardness of resprayed paint. The best solution would be to machine polish the panel, firstly with a light compound to correct the damage, and then a finishing polish to maximise gloss. All of these methods are covered in detail on this thread about polishing Audi paint...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50080

The problem is that going down the machine route will require significant investment on your part (best part of £200 all in with polishes), while having the work done for you will also cost a fair bit (although the garage should fix it for you, do you really want it going back to them based on the dogs dinner they made of the first attempt? - tough call I know). If you need help finding a professional detailer in your area to help you let us know where you are based and we should be able to point you towards someone reputable. :yes:

cover the car in that foaming soap, that will hide the swirls, just don't let any go down the drain :noway:

Or take it back to the body shop and get it put right,If you do anything to it yourself it will just give the garage and excuse not to put it right for you.

Or buy a new car get it polished , then buy a watch or two and tell everyone on here about how great you are :yes:

cover the car in that foaming soap, that will hide the swirls, just don't let any go down the drain.

haha, i was waiting for you to see this thread and see my sarky comment about no environmental issues :laugh:

as for buying new watches,the mrs has told me if i buy any more new watches it will cost me one family

anyway, Havn't you got a life of nappie changing to prepare for...:lmfao:

cheers for comments guys, i have spoken to insurance company today and they are gonna sort it - i am not keen on shelling out for another garages **** up, and i have insisted the work is done by a reputable company.

will update progress tomorrow...

Havn't you got a life of nappie changing to prepare for...:lmfao:

Its not just nappies that are the problem , we had to cancel our TT when the Mrs got preggers, ho hum it was only the slow 2.0T anyways :crying:. We got a new Freelander instead and its a surprisingly good motor, I wanted an A4 avant but the mrs doesnt like them. And after owning the freelander for a couple of months I think she may have been right.
Just to show what an environment geek I am we shall mostly be using disposable nappies like normal people do :thumbsup:

Hope you get that paint sorted :beerchug:

Its not just nappies that are the problem , we had to cancel our TT when the Mrs got preggers, ho hum it was only the slow 2.0T anyways :crying:. We got a new Freelander instead and its a surprisingly good motor, I wanted an A4 avant but the mrs doesnt like them. And after owning the freelander for a couple of months I think she may have been right.
Just to show what an environment geek I am we shall mostly be using disposable nappies like normal people do :thumbsup:

nowt wrong with freelanders, i test drove the diesel one in SE trim b4 i decided to get the Audi, i loved it...i just loved the a4 cabriolet a little bit more
I am trying to convince the mrs to get rid of her awful zafira and get one, as usual tho she isnt playing ball...

for anyone who is interested, my car had to go back to the cnuts who made this mess in the first place in the end, to give them the opportunity to put the work right...and guess what, it came back to me in an even worse state (thanks to RAC insurance)

i had an independant inspection of the work carried out today and my car now needs a complete n/s respray as, amongst other things, there is overspray between all the panels, dirt inclusion/silicone marks in the paint, flat/dull spots all over the place and loads of orange peeling of the paint.

so as a work of warning, do not ever, under any circumstances take your car near A Thompson autobodies in wednesbury , unless you want to have your pride and joy ruined :(

hopefully RAC will take them off there approved garage list now and send my car somewhere to be done propa

Insist on an Audi approved paint shop... I did when I had an issue and it's as good as new!
Have a search under Smart repairs for more details!