How do I remove the air vent to install a boost gauge?

S3KO4

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have finally bought an average boost gauge for £25, it does not come with the pod, and I want to modify the air vent on top of the headlight switch to fit the gauge inside it. (It is small enough to fit) but stuck on the first hurdle of removal.

Does anyone have a guide on how to remove it without damaging anything?

and how hard would it be to get the wire and hose running through there.

Thanks

thanks everyone.
I have done a DIY job of it, special thanks to tuffy, who has been constantly replying to my private messages.

I will buy one of those if they were half the price but for now the DIY would have to do.

photo1.jpg

few issues though, firstly the light diming does not work on it, so would have to rewire it at some point. and I when the engine is on it stay on -20 so thats vacume. I guess it is because I have connected it to the vacume line on top of the DV. I saw boost spike of 20 and held it at 15 psi.

I wired mine into the air vent light harness so it dims. maybe you could rewire it into there.

fb771514.jpg

Managed to get it in the vent quite well, dont look pretty yet but its in. Just need to wire it up. Would like to wire it the way you said but i have no idea how too, i'm not an electrician lol. I have four wires: Yellow, Purple, Orange and black...

Last edited:
Mine only had two, black and a red. The air vent harness is also just a black and red so was simple for me :)

Chop the wires, splice together again with gauge wires. Then heat shrink so they don't come loose and then just use elec tape to hide the splice.

Well as its only a mechanical gauge, all you need is to power the led. And just run a hose to dv like you have.

I'd just get a 9v battery and find what two wires you need to illuminate the face. Should just be one neg and one pos. And just use those two. Forget about the rest.

Unless it's a completely different design to mine. But mines mechanical too and only requires two wires.

Can someone send me instructions how to remove audi a3 2000 air vents(passenger) ?