Facelift How do I make my S-Tronic start-stop chill the hell out?

I was turning ss off manually with the button when it was activating as it should - now I don't bother/need to as for some unknown reason it rarely works/cuts in! - took it to Audi and they could not find any issues but I did not make any more of a fuss - despite meeting the various criteria to function (according to the handbook) mine very rarely ever cuts in although I do not know why!

Sounds like your battery is having the same issues as mine. Beware as it may just die like mine did. There are a few threads on here about a dodgy batch of VW/Audi batteries

I have read some of the comments on here and no there is nothing wrong with your car and no you dont need to get it looked at. Mine does the exact same thing where it cuts out whilst moving as the car is predicting your going to stop. I have a friend with a Polo GTi and hes does the same. Best advice I read and I now pratice is just moving the stick to S when your approaching a junction where you know your gonna need to pull out. once out of the juntion I pop back to M. I do this now without thinking about it.

The MY2019 S3 auto stop/start is disengaged with a twitch of the steering wheel also...

Best advice I read and I now pratice is just moving the stick to S when your approaching a junction where you know your gonna need to pull out. once out of the juntion I pop back to M. I do this now without thinking about it.
While there can be an advantage in putting the gearbox into Sport when wanting to get out quick from a junction.....should one also put it into Sport when stopping to engage reverse, because the engine will cut out just the same.
The better solution is simply to press the button to disable every time you start the engine, that way you can be sure the engine will not cut out when you don't want it to.
It still doesn't change the fact that the way Start/Stop works with an automatic gearbox is ****!

Reactions: kevsworld and Sparks43
While there can be an advantage in putting the gearbox into Sport when wanting to get out quick from a junction.....should one also put it into Sport when stopping to engage reverse, because the engine will cut out just the same.
The better solution is simply to press the button to disable every time you start the engine, that way you can be sure the engine will not cut out when you don't want it to.
It still doesn't change the fact that the way Start/Stop works with an automatic gearbox is ****!

I agree, an automatic should mean you don’t need manual intervention to avoid SS engaging at dangerous moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron240
There is defo a technique to driving an auto with SS. When i first got the car i nearly caused an accident becuase the car didnt get out of the junction as quick as i would of liked. i had the Mrs shout at me saying your dirivng has gone bad since you got the car.

There is defo a technique to driving an auto with SS. When i first got the car i nearly caused an accident becuase the car didnt get out of the junction as quick as i would of liked. i had the Mrs shout at me saying your dirivng has gone bad since you got the car.

Ive has the same with my missus too. She told me I couldn’t drive the car properly. Goes ok if I remember to turn it off but when I forget, usually have an incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of me is glad I found this thread cause I thought there must be something wrong with the A3 I just bought but at the same time I can't quite believe this is by design!! Seems like absolute madness to me to have the engine cut out whilst the car is still rolling forwards. Makes pulling out at a round-a-bout dangerous cause the engine power isn't there when you need it. The SS should only ever kick in when the car is stationary, preferably for more than a couple of seconds I would say. Its quite farcical that we have to either turn of the system all together - it is actually useful for saving on fuel when in traffic or sat at lights for a minute or manually knock it into sport mode everytime you come to a junction or round-a-bout. To lose the power assisted steering is dangerous at any speed IMHO, even it is just 3 or 4 mph. The Honda implementation of this feature was much better though given that was a manual so easy to override with the clutch.

Yeah another s-tronic owner with awful start stop. If i don’t remember to switch it off every trip it almost kills me at the 1st roundabout of the day, when i realise my error and turn it off.

it will most likely catch me out one day and i’ll get collected by an Artic or something

Just fit a memory module on the Stop Start switch, then, turn it off and it stays off permanently until you press the button again.

£30 well worth spent in my opinion.

get a carista, i can reprogram mine to remember its on/off setting when the car is turned off, so if i turn it off it stays off

get a carista, i can reprogram mine to remember its on/off setting when the car is turned off, so if i turn it off it stays off

do you know what parimeters yours changed to make this happen? The ones I looked into looked before opting for the memory module seemed rather crude, like they would 'trick' the system into thinking its a low atmospheric temperature etc

no idea, bought the carista ODB plugin, and just selected on the partnered app for it to remember start/stop position on ignition off

i can confirm it works though :)

I think my concern would be 'working' is one thing, if we remove a wheel from a car, it still 'works', so does the app based hack affect anything else within the parameters it changed to achieve the result? If not, amazing, if so, then it would be worrying to me. Theres a lot of trust in this apps that have no form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm really curious to hear how they work and what they do to achieve their result, I wish they would show what is changed so you could make a more educated choice to use it or not.

With the memory module, it's merely a chip that stores the chosen unction, so it has no affect on any of the cars 'intelligent' sensor based systems. Seems a little safer to me on the car.

Part of me is glad I found this thread cause I thought there must be something wrong with the A3 I just bought but at the same time I can't quite believe this is by design!! Seems like absolute madness to me to have the engine cut out whilst the car is still rolling forwards. Makes pulling out at a round-a-bout dangerous cause the engine power isn't there when you need it. The SS should only ever kick in when the car is stationary, preferably for more than a couple of seconds I would say. Its quite farcical that we have to either turn of the system all together - it is actually useful for saving on fuel when in traffic or sat at lights for a minute or manually knock it into sport mode everytime you come to a junction or round-a-bout. To lose the power assisted steering is dangerous at any speed IMHO, even it is just 3 or 4 mph. The Honda implementation of this feature was much better though given that was a manual so easy to override with the clutch.
I had thought this thread had died but it seems Audi are still ruining their cars by cutting the engine before the car has come to a stop. What a shame as this ruined a 2017 A4 Quattro for me, so much so that I moved it on 18 months ago after only just over 18 months of ownership. I know you can press the sport button and it doesn’t do it but that defeats the object of an auto (as you’ve got to remember to do it, otherwise it’ll try and kill you) or you can code it out, but why should you have to do that? Audi need to recall and code it out and do the right thing but VW group haven’t got a good record of this kind of thing.
On a side note, the diesel auto I replaced it with, only cuts the engine at a complete stop and is totally safe and a far better/superior way of implementing this emissions cutting feature. My advice is, if you can, reject the car and try another manufacturer before someone slams into you on a roundabout.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Yeah another s-tronic owner with awful start stop. If i don’t remember to switch it off every trip it almost kills me at the 1st roundabout of the day, when i realise my error and turn it off.

it will most likely catch me out one day and i’ll get collected by an Artic or something
Totally agree, I moved mine on before I had an accident at a roundabout due to the combination of this dangerous feature with the S Tronic gearboxes. I’d urge you to do the same.

Yes, that is an option if you’re happy fitting an unsupported 3rd party device into the electronic systems of your car, I wasn’t.

Lol, its a memory eprom, not an ECU.

So you don't modify any of your vehicles in anyway?

Lol, its a memory eprom, not an ECU.

So you don't modify any of your vehicles in anyway?
No I don’t feel the need too tbh but can understand if you’re used to doing it. For me, I prefer to keep to car to manufacture’s spec.

No I don’t feel the need too tbh but can understand if you’re used to doing it. For me, I prefer to keep to car to manufacture’s spec.

Did you change the entire car because of a minor issue that could have been rectified with a minor modification?

Do you drive an Audi currently?

Did you change the entire car because of a minor issue that could have been rectified with a minor modification?

Do you drive an Audi currently?
I did change the car but I didn’t deem it a minor issue, in fact my wife’s words were “when are you getting rid of this car before it kills us”. I no longer have an Audi as it put me off, which is a shame as the rest of the car was nice.
It could be said that I could’ve “modified” it to disable stop/start but I wanted it to still kick in, but at a total stop. Also, I didn’t want to modify a car still under warranty. If others are comfortable doing this, then it’s their choice, just not for me.

I think my concern would be 'working' is one thing, if we remove a wheel from a car, it still 'works', so does the app based hack affect anything else within the parameters it changed to achieve the result? If not, amazing, if so, then it would be worrying to me. Theres a lot of trust in this apps that have no form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm really curious to hear how they work and what they do to achieve their result, I wish they would show what is changed so you could make a more educated choice to use it or not.

With the memory module, it's merely a chip that stores the chosen unction, so it has no affect on any of the cars 'intelligent' sensor based systems. Seems a little safer to me on the car.

not something i've lost any sleep over, all the modifications i've made with carista have had no ill affects, and if they had i could reverse them in the same way

simple things like beep on lock/unlock now i've turned them on are available in my mmi - most cars have features you simply can't access until they are activated

i'd have a lot more faith in these tested apps, than changing settings myself manually thats for sure

On my B9 A4, I would be rolling forward at a roundabout then I would see a space a drive off, and half way I’m pulling out, the stop start would kick in leaving me stranded and nearly getting broadsided by another vehicle! I’ve lost count of the amount of times this happened to me! Even turning off the stop start wouldn’t disable it a lot of the time! It is darn right dangerous and I very nearly returned the car to Audi! I’ve never driven a car with a stop start system like it.

On my B9 A4, I would be rolling forward at a roundabout then I would see a space a drive off, and half way I’m pulling out, the stop start would kick in leaving me stranded and nearly getting broadsided by another vehicle! I’ve lost count of the amount of times this happened to me! Even turning off the stop start wouldn’t disable it a lot of the time! It is darn right dangerous and I very nearly returned the car to Audi! I’ve never driven a car with a stop start system like it.

This happens to me alot of the time but I have recently changed my throttle responce so see how it goes.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9