Facelift How do I make my S-Tronic start-stop chill the hell out?

GTAIVGunner - it definitely wasn't a thing on the 8P manual, at least on the 2.0TDI, but the start stop is noticeably less responsive on that car. On this one, though, it drops in and out very quickly. If I'm nudging forward in a parking space it will cut out two or three times as I apply and release brake pressure to creep forward
Hmmm, just a bit worrying then haha! From what people are saying though it seems to be a common occurrence.

Has nobody noticed that when start/stop activates the steering becomes locked and when the car restarts the wiper momentarily stop?

Did you even read my quote of GTAIVgunner?? He said these things happen, NOT me!

With respect...read what people write before responding :p
And with respect people need to read up on how a start/stop system actually operates before commenting on safety issues. I just could not be bothered to include both posts in my response as the arguments being presented don't, in fact, represents what happens in real life...

And with respect people need to read up on how a start/stop system actually operates before commenting on safety issues. I just could not be bothered to include both posts in my response as the arguments being presented don't, in fact, represents what happens in real life...
I know how it works and I haven't said it's a safety issue. It's not like it's cutting out at 30mph :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
I can't see a car rolling at 2-3mph doing a lot of damage if it hits another car (something like a train yes, where there's a few hundred tonnes behind it!). I think it's more annoying than dangerous, hence my routine usually being, get in, seat belt, start car, select dynamic, stop start off.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, BarryG79 and The Kendragon
I can't see a car rolling at 2-3mph doing a lot of damage if it hits another car (something like a train yes, where there's a few hundred tonnes behind it!). I think it's more annoying than dangerous, hence my routine usually being, get in, seat belt, start car, select dynamic, stop start off.
Exactly! :sweatsmile:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Like others have said just be a bit more mindful and gentle on the stop pedal. This way start stop doesn't chime in, your steering remains active and you don't waste a lot of time and grey hair trying to reject a car over something that would be impossible to reject a car over. :)

My steering locks when the start/stop activates, everytime. I dont have any problems with the wipers however.

It is dangerous but once you get used to it, its fine.

It is a design fault imo as cars like the Prius dont have this issue but then, they are likely best engineered!

I think it's quite easy to manage when it kicks in using the break pedal, avoiding it this way without deactivating it. Definitely helps economy.

It is a feature i find you get used to over the miles and isn't that intrusive.

Reactions: OST
Interesting debate, mine only cuts in when I am applying the foot brake but going on the above some seem to cut in before that.

The Audi glossary states;
The start-stop system automatically switches off the engine when the car is moving at a low speed or is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and starts it automatically when the speed increases or the journey continues

As the car is braking to a standstill, the system switches off the engine and signals this via a symbol on the dashboard. When you release the brake pedal to continue on your journey, the engine starts and the symbol on the dashboard is removed.

Personally, I would take the car back for warranty work if the engine cuts out without braking as going on the above, Audi have not designed it to do that.

I tend to put it in Sport to stop it activating. It cutting off before you've fully stopped doesn't bother me so much - it only does it when your foot is firmly on the brake I've found so you are going to be stopped milliseconds later anyway. The annoying this is when you have ACC... it tries to be helpful by starting again when it sees the cars in front (usually the car 2 in front) move away. This is really great, but if they just move an inch and then stop again, and keep doing it, you can end up with the car starting, stopping, starting, stopping, starting... it's very annoying. This is the bit they really need to fix.

Interesting debate, mine only cuts in when I am applying the foot brake but going on the above some seem to cut in before that.

The Audi glossary states;
The start-stop system automatically switches off the engine when the car is moving at a low speed or is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and starts it automatically when the speed increases or the journey continues

As the car is braking to a standstill, the system switches off the engine and signals this via a symbol on the dashboard. When you release the brake pedal to continue on your journey, the engine starts and the symbol on the dashboard is removed.

Personally, I would take the car back for warranty work if the engine cuts out without braking as going on the above, Audi have not designed it to do that.
They say the engine starts again once the brake pedal is released. Isn't it when the clutch is pressed (manual) or the accelerator applied (automatic)?

They say the engine starts again once the brake pedal is released. Isn't it when the clutch is pressed (manual) or the accelerator applied (automatic)?

Depends if it's fully stopped or not, if the engine stops while you're still rolling slowly and you lift off the brake then it'll start up again.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and The Kendragon
I'm curious how the feathering works in concert with the Hold Assist. Presumably you have to come to a complete halt before this triggers but whether you can feather the brake pedal such that the assist triggers but the start/stop doesn't...
On my car the Hold Assist kicks in the instant that the car comes to a standstill. I have to rest my foot on the brake for another second before S/S kicks in.
If Audi has changed the operation of S/S to kick in earlier, I am puzzled as to why that would be. What's the purpose?
I'm sorry but I must agree with some of the posters here who consider it a fault or a bug.
I have driven quite a few cars with S/S and have never seen it kick in before the car come to a complete stop.
If I could reproduce this issue on my car, I would certainly have a conversation with the dealer. Probably insisting on getting it in writing from Audi that the S/S is designed to activate before the car comes to a stop.

Reactions: traindweller
It happens on loads of cars. It did on my wifes Mini a couple of times yesterday. Stick it in neutral and coast to a stop with the brake and the engine will quit before it's actually stopped and the steering goes heavy.

Now come on it's not really dangerous is it? You're travelling at less than 2 mph, with your foot on a brake pedal about to stop, just how dangerous is it that your steering went heavy a second or two before you've actually stopped? Dangerous? No. At best it's a quirk and at worst slightly annoying.

My car does it all the time and I've never once thought 'oh my god that's dangerous, I could've crashed or something'. You can have more fun with it going down hill as you can have the heavy steering for longer. :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H and allanmb
It happens on loads of cars. It did on my wifes Mini a couple of times yesterday. Stick it in neutral and coast to a stop with the brake and the engine will quit before it's actually stopped and the steering goes heavy.

Now come on it's not really dangerous is it? You're travelling at less than 2 mph, with your foot on a brake pedal about to stop, just how dangerous is it that your steering went heavy a second or two before you've actually stopped? Dangerous? No. At best it's a quirk and at worst slightly annoying.

My car does it all the time and I've never once thought 'oh my god that's dangerous, I could've crashed or something'. You can have more fun with it going down hill as you can have the heavy steering for longer. :)

My sentiments exactly!

Depends if you have hold assist or not. Hold assist effectively simulates the brake being on.

Reactions: The Kendragon
mine cuts in way too early as well, i've had an A3 loaner and it didn't seem as bad to be honest - like others i just engage sport mode if i want to turn it off

I’m another one who hates this feature with a venom, so much so, I’m changing to BMW who choose not to implement SS in this way. I raised it with with Audi head office using Audi UK and they declined to respond. So voting with my feet, that’s the end of my Audi experience for the foreseeable future.
I just hope they’re made to only allow it to cut in at a full stop, quite a few times I’ve had some scary moments where I’ve gone to pull out, either into a roundabout or across traffic doing a right turn for the engine to cut out.
I think it’s plain dangerous and should be changed. A shame really as he car is great apart from that and the jerky DCT.

I’m another one who hates this feature with a venom, so much so, I’m changing to BMW who choose not to implement SS in this way. I raised it with with Audi head office using Audi UK and they declined to respond. So voting with my feet, that’s the end of my Audi experience for the foreseeable future.
I just hope they’re made to only allow it to cut in at a full stop, quite a few times I’ve had some scary moments where I’ve gone to pull out, either into a roundabout or across traffic doing a right turn for the engine to cut out.
I think it’s plain dangerous and should be changed. A shame really as he car is great apart from that and the jerky DCT.
Your changing car just because of this..? You know you can turn it off each time you get in the car/software disable it/ buy a 'module' so you press the button and it will remember the status S/S was in before you turned engine off.

Reactions: JohnM100 and Audi Bairn
Your changing car just because of this..? You know you can turn it off each time you get in the car/software disable it/ buy a 'module' so you press the button and it will remember the status S/S was in before you turned engine off.

Yes and tried the switching off routine but forgot a few times which then meant I was looking down frequently at junctions to see if it was off, didn’t want the hassle.
Didn’t want the s/w or dongle option either as was also struggling with the jerkiness of the DCT.
So those 2 factors led me back to a ZF8 equipped car. Had one before so suits my driving style and renders - IMHO - the DCT in a larger saloon, irrelevant.
However, I suspect, with the right engine the DCT can work for most, just not for me.
The rest of the car can’t be faulted and Crewe Audi are excellent, the manufacturer less so.
It rides well, it’s relatively quiet and punchy and very economical, the tech is excellent and my B&O sound system was amazing.
Tried to live with the SS and DCT but after 6 months of near misses and jerkiness - which could be s/w and/or clutch wear related - decided to make a change.
Enjoy your cars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m another one who hates this feature with a venom, so much so, I’m changing to BMW who choose not to implement SS in this way.
I agree and have said quite a few times that the way Start/Stop is implemented on this car with an automatic gearbox is completely ridiculous!
I am curious to know how BMW do it? :)

I agree and have said quite a few times that the way Start/Stop is implemented on this car with an automatic gearbox is completely ridiculous!
I am curious to know how BMW do it? :)

An auto BMW only engage SS when the car is at a full stop and the brake applied.
Much less intrusive.

An auto BMW only engage SS when the car is at a full stop and the brake applied.
Ahhhh...I thought you meant it activated in a different manner completely..... eg. gearbox needs to be in neutral or something like that.
To my mind it doesn't matter whether the engine cuts out when the car is rolling to a stop or at a full stop....it will still stop at junctions, roundabouts, before changing into reverse to manoeuvre into a space......pretty much every time I do not want the engine to stop and makes me look like a **** driver!
It is truly hateful and shambolic, so this is why I always turn it off whenever I get in my car. :rage:
Funny thing is I actually quite liked the system in my manual cars. :)

Ahhhh...I thought you meant it activated in a different manner completely..... eg. gearbox needs to be in neutral or something like that.
To my mind it doesn't matter whether the engine cuts out when the car is rolling to a stop or at a full stop....it will still stop at junctions, roundabouts, before changing into reverse to manoeuvre into a space......pretty much every time I do not want the engine to stop and makes me look like a **** driver!
It is truly hateful and shambolic, so this is why I always turn it off whenever I get in my car. :rage:
Funny thing is I actually quite liked the system in my manual cars. :)

Yes but is less eager to cut out and never had my 320i cut out at roundabouts etc or when parking.
The implementation in my wife’s petrol Polo is much less intrusive and needs neutral and fort of clutch.

Interesting the Start/Stop on all four Q3 I've just had test rides (with my wife driving) seems to react much better than in my A3 2.0 TDI. I disliked it so much on the A3 that I changed it so that it is permanently switched off. Perhaps it will be better on the new A3.

I remember reading somewhere that Audi changed the way S/S worked.

In previous setups (including my S7) it would only operate when the car was fully stopped and footbrake engaged.

In later releases, S/S would operate from about 10mph or less while decelerating, as it interpreted that as the car coming to a stop. I think it’s this “rolling stop” feature that has people complaining - and for good reason.

As others have said, the S/S feature can be coded out, or disabled every time by selecting Dynamic and putting the auto box into Sports Mode. I’m not sure how you disable if a manual box is installed - check your manuals!

I can understand why the rolling S/S would freak some people out, especially is steering is disabled (?...)

I just never understood why it was changed..as far as I remember it even says in the manual that it will kick in when moving, depending on the country atleast.. So maybe our friends over sea don't have the same problem.

It doesn't bother me as much as others, it's more like "stupid car..." moment every time it does it. I am however disabling it more or going into manual or sports mode on the gearbox to temporary disable it though. In my last A3 (which was also a PFL, same as my S3) I generally would never disable it... Because it only kicked in when properly stopped!

Just totally disable it, using carista or similar.
Save yourself self inflicted trauma and your starter motor and battery.
And have a engine that works as it should.
It is not a drill or a kettle, it is an engine.
You don't see pilots turning off there engines do you?
Now, someone will pipe up saying these items can handle it.
People with no mechanical sympathy.
The untold stress on this relatively new addition to engines and components does not bare thinking about.
Just turn it off ***

I’m not sure how you disable if a manual box is installed - check your manuals!
Start/Stop is not a problem with manual cars because it is much more sensible in the way it activates - gearbox in neutral with clutch raised.
I found it a pleasure to use with previous manual cars because the activation is easily controllable, but the temporary disable button is still there if you want to use it. :)
It wouldn't be an issue to people on here though, because from previous discussions I have learned that the majority do not put their gearbox in neutral while stopped at traffic lights etc. :innocent:

Reactions: AdrianWh and RAF_S7
The untold stress on this relatively new addition to engines and components does not bare thinking about.
Just turn it off ***

But....

The engines are designed to accommodate the S/S feature, so they can definitely handle it. And given the drive for lower emissions (which is where this all started) and better consumption figures, I don't see any manufacturers deleting this feature soon.

The problem is that people don't like how the feature has been implemented.

But....

The engines are designed to accommodate the S/S feature, so they can definitely handle it. And given the drive for lower emissions (which is where this all started) and better consumption figures, I don't see any manufacturers deleting this feature soon.

The problem is that people don't like how the feature has been implemented.

I agree, SS is required and a good solution to reducing emissions, especially in built up areas. My objection is the “rolling stop” feature, which is not, AFAIK, implemented by other manufacturers. My beef is with the lack of engagement by Audi in that they refuse to comment. I suspect they know it’s an issue but refuse to rectify as it would be a significant cost to resolve and potentially reduce their green credits with the EU.
I’ve had 3 significant close shaves in 18 months which has ruined the experience.

Just how though the SS is an issue when other drivers cope with it just fine? My car exhibits the same characteristics but I have no problem with it what so ever and just deal with what is really to do with mild hybrid systems.
I guess it seems some drivers struggle but I really cannot see what the issue is and, if it really bothers you that much then a simple device can be purchased to turn it off entirely or just place the box in sport mode...

Just turn it off ***
You say that but pilots turn off one engine when landed to save fuel whilst they park up :D

Reactions: CHEZ
Just how though the SS is an issue when other drivers cope with it just fine? My car exhibits the same characteristics but I have no problem with it what so ever and just deal with what is really to do with mild hybrid systems.
I guess it seems some drivers struggle but I really cannot see what the issue is and, if it really bothers you that much then a simple device can be purchased to turn it off entirely or just place the box in sport mode...

I think we’ve talked about this in another thread and down to driving style.
Not experienced any other system that cut in during a rolling stop which is dangerous IMHO. A device potentially voids the warranty and sport mode makes it race away.
Horses for courses I guess.

And you are entitled to your opinion, however the SS is doing what it is designed to do and there is no fault and just because other manufacturers vehicles do not have this doesn't make in any way an issue with the system, just, perhaps, some owners style of driving.
The 'foibles' of the Audi SS are so easy to overcome anyway.
Coming back your first post, I will give you three answers on how to 'chill out' the SS, either engage 'S', purchase a https://www.kufatec.com/en/coding-d...sable-start/stop-for-vw-seat-skoda-audi-40019 Or, if you accept you may have to turn it off completely, through VCDS , or Clarissa, or through a friend. Oh that's four.

If you are based in the South East I would be happy to do this for you...

Last edited:
And you are entitled to your opinion, however the SS is doing what it is designed to do and there is no fault and just because other manufacturers vehicles do not have this doesn't make in any way an issue with the system, just, perhaps, some owners style of driving.
The 'foibles' of the Audi SS are so easy to overcome anyway...

I agree, there’s isn’t a fault, my opinion is that it’s a very poor and potentially dangerous implementation of SS.
It’s not easy to overcome, IMHO, ie no switch to turn off “rolling stop” in the MMI and owners need to implement unsupported and warranty affecting solutions.

I agree that SS does not work well with a s-tronic gearbox. All the A3s I've had with SS I have spent just 5 minutes with VCDS and changed a value so that it never cuts in. As I said in an earlier test driving several Q3s recently, both TDI and TFSI and all with s-tronic the SS seemed to behave much better. Perhaps it will be the same in the new A3.

S mode does stop start/stop engaging (at least on my S7).

But more to the point, it shouldn't engage unless the car has actually stopped and you have your foot hard on the brake (and all other parameters are met)

On the S7 you can brake "softly" and come to a halt with gentle pressure on the footbrake and it will sit there idling, unless you then push hard on the brake, at which point start stop kicks in.

If it's not behaving as it should, ld book a dealer visit, on safety grounds alone!

No it stops now on the facelift under 10 or 5mph if you're just coming to a stop really annoying - It's in the manual as well

Reactions: RAF_S7
I was reminded last night just how much I hate Start/Stop on this car. :rage:
I routinely turn it off every time I start the engine, but inevitable there will be sometimes I forget.....
Coming home from work last night I arrived at my house and was positioning my car to reverse up to my driveway. I had braked very gently then had my feet off the pedals just letting the car roll a bit further forwards so that it was at the best angle to reverse. I was just about to dab the brake to stop and select reverse, but before I could do so the damn engine cut out which made me realise I had forgotten to disable the system.
The way Start/Stop activates on this car is at best incredibly dim witted, and at worst potentially dangerous.
I am absolutely astonished when I hear people saying they find it no problem at all, or can prevent it from activating by feathering the brakes to a stop. :openmouth: I can guarantee these people would not be able to do this with my car, and from what I have read my car is behaving the same as the majority.

Reactions: Richard46
I was turning ss off manually with the button when it was activating as it should - now I don't bother/need to as for some unknown reason it rarely works/cuts in! - took it to Audi and they could not find any issues but I did not make any more of a fuss - despite meeting the various criteria to function (according to the handbook) mine very rarely ever cuts in although I do not know why!