how do i check tdi pump timing

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hope someone can help me out

i sometimes have difficulty starting my 2.5 tdi, (turns over but wont fire up for ages, seems worse when hot)
ive changed plugs, temp sender and breather, reading a few other threads i would like to check fuel pump timing but would like simple instructions so i dont mess anything up

if it is out, is it easy to adjust or best left to a pro

thanks in advance for any help

if it were pump timing then you'd have hordes of smoke out of the exhaust or knocking, it sounds like an air leak to me.
Does it run okay when you get it going?

if it starts first time no smoke that you would notice, if it turns over for a while then there is a big cloud,
runs poor when cold (doesnt want to rev over 3k) but seems ok when warmed up possibly a little down on power
have had these fault codes
00519 - intake manifold pressure sensor (G71)
31-00 - open or short to ground
00575 - intake manifold pressure
08-00 - control limit surpassed

looked them up and they suggest knackered turbo and car shouldnt even run but turbo seems fine and not sure if they are related to poor starting

Probably a duff sensor then, check inside the turbo intake and see if there is any oil.
What colour is the smoke cloud you mention?

Black is diesel, white or blue is oil.

what would oil suggest? had front apart to fit new belt / tensioner and noticed some oil in hose from intercooler.
thick grey smoke when poor start but nothing when running
do turbos wear out or just work or not work, car has 208,000+ miles on it

Sounds like the turbo shaft oil seal has started to deteriorate. These are common on all turbos. Its quicker to happen in a petrol engine as the exhaust is wetter and more acidic.

You'll need to get it reconditioned or replaced.