How did you find your A3?

betnixfx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I try to buy a A3. I'd prefer the 2009 5dr model with low (around 30k) miles. Well, in my area (bournemouth) it is really hard to find one for a reasonable price. My budget is around 12K but the closest car that would match my budget is at least 2-300 miles away from here. I'm running my own business (7 days a week) so i really can't afford to stay away for days just to buy a car. Yes, days because first i'd like to see the car with my own eyes. If i like it i need to book AA or RAC inspection as i'm not an expert... Even if the results are great, i have to go and collect the car. So at least 2 days... But what are the odds for finding the right car the first time?

I saw a few 1.6 petrol within a 20 miles radius but as far as i know this is the one i should avoid as the engine isn't strong enough for the 5dr car. I'm not a racer but i like to move quicker than the average :)

I also saw a 1.8 TFSI with 21k miles in really good condition but they want 15k for it. I just don't think if it is worth 15k. They would let it go for £14250 but i don't think if it is worth more than £12.500.

I tried ebay, Autotrader and local dealers with no luck. After 2-3 weeks of search i saw 1 car. (the 1.8 TFSI)

I'm just wondering if there is any other way (probably online) to find a A3? Would you prefer to buy it privately or from a dealer? Independent dealers, from Audi, or Car supermarkets? What about car supermarkets? I read some horror stories. Have you ever bought a great Audi from a car supermarket?

Any advice would be appreciated.

£12k is not a lot of budget for a 2009 car... The 1.8T sounds reasonable at £14250 with 21k miles on it.

I bought my car from my parents, they bought it new.

If your looking for piece of mind and haven't got the time to go searching for a car then Audi dealer is the way forward really... As said Poole Audi have a good selection...

For example: Poole Audi Dorset - Approved Used Cars

Mine was in a shopping centre in Derby, saw it in Westfield, visited the dealer a week or so later, bought it. Totally impulsive :D

I searched every day for 3 months. Each time expanding my search critera as to what I wanted, colour and spec etc. Eventually the car came up that I wanted. If your buying 2009, from a dealer, is an RAC inspection REALLY worth the money? Spend it on warranty instead I'd say tbh. I never buy private anymore, it's cheaper but the risk is just not worth it. I sell privately for more money, but don't buy.

decided on an audi S4 4.2 v8, spent 2 months researching, test drive etc, then bought an a3 3.2, the first one i'd been to see (after viewing a 2nd one) did my car finding online and bought from a dealer

Try the new search feature on pistonheads. Doesn't have as many cars as autotrader or eBay but can sometime throw up a gem

I found mine from a contact within the local Audi dealer.

Car was only traded in that day and I had left a deposit after seeing it in the workshop getting its Approved Checks done.

Couldn't be happier :)

due to fact i live in london, i travelled 5hours to view my car.

I always prefer to buy cars outside london due to them breathing more than stop and go in city.

Spotted mine on autotrader. drove 5hours to see it, viewed it was happy with it brought it 'Cash'

This one came from the dealer as it was on a PCP, stock-built but exactly the spec I wanted.

Previously I have scanned PH and Autotrader every day and then act fast when you find a car that meets your criteria.

My last S3 was from Fontain in Slough, the car went up for sale on PH 9.00am, I put a deposit on it over the phone 2 Hrs later.
Turned out to be a very good decision.

If you want peice of mind buying a decent car, then you have to pay the bit extra from a Main dealer. If you don't like travelling to view a car, again a main dealer is the only option. You can't have it both ways, the perfect car at a price you would pay for a private sale.

We decided to spend a bit more and the perfect car popped up within 10mls. We were trying to buy as new as possible with as low miles as possible but realised our budget would not get us the car we wanted. We stretched a bit and found a lovely car close by.