How cold is your Aircon in 8P....?

Like most people here my opinion is that it is acceptable but not freezing.... Still, you can't cool down you back and butt which are planted onto the leather seats so you'll probably still feel hot to some degree! :faint:

Nick,

Can you please explain what 'air con machine' you hooked your A3 up to?
My 2010 A3 (6 months old) with climate control suffers from the same problem as everyone else's on this thread - cool, but not as cold as I believe it should be.

Bosch ACS650.
The units perform a wide range of functions fully automatically:​
• Refrigerant extraction and recycling
• Used oil drainage
• Evacuation and leak testing
• Fresh oil and UV additive feeding
• Precise refrigerant feeding.

odd as today its a hotter day and when on low its colder! Not frosty cold, bbrrrrr lol but cooler! Its ok, id prefer frosty lol but I can live with it!!!

anyone tried one of them can things, its like what they were using on planes for swine pooo? shall i do that or just get the a/c serviced... its prob come from my car sitting in a garage for 3 months...

Which of the two air circulation buttons is the one to use to stop hot air being taken from the outside? guessing the Auto one, but not sure as I havent really used those buttons :uhm:

Auto-recirculate and recirculate BOTH recirculate in the same way, but auto leaves recirculate OFF most of the time...

'Recirculate' is recirculate full-time, or until you stop the car and remove the key.

Auto recirculate means ONLY recirculate when the hydrocarbon sensor detects fumes being drawn in from outside (EG waiting in line behind a nasty, smelly Diesel schoolbus...)

Good times to use the recirculate button are AFTER the car interior has cooled down a bit, since at first the air in the car is HOTTER than air outside (the 'greenhouse' effect). Recirculating THAT air will make the car much slower to cool, and INCREASE the vent temperatures.

BAD times to use the recirculate button are when there's a lot of humidity in the car, such as having just climbed into the car wearing wet clothes after a summer rain shower... The cars windows fog up MUCH more readily when you use the recirculate.

Keep the fan speed low, and the vents get nice and chill. -If you like, I have a vent temperature probe, and I can easily SHOW how the air warms up significantly when you speed up the fan.

Keith

Last edited:
odd ... when on low its colder!

BINGO!

As I said, it's counter-intuitive, but THIS is how we deal with it here. Running the fan too fast makes the interior noisier, makes the A/C run hotter, and wears things out faster...

...to say nothing about messing up my fabulously-coiffured 'do'!!!

As for "wet-dog" smelling A/C, this happens if the condensate drain gets blocked or obstructed, but ALSO if you turn off the A/C by switching off the fan, or similarly by stopping the car with the A/C running.

What happens is that the condensation on the chilling coil is never dried off, so it just sits there for a long time and pools up, allowing mould and bacteria to multiply... Just like leaving a wet towel in a plastic bag for any length of time. (Which I used to sometimes do when I had swimming class at school, and forgot to take my towel home!)

The way to prevent this is to ALWAYS switch off the A/C using the switch, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. -In this way, the condensation is evaporated into the vehicle cabin. -If you have the A/C on just before you pull in to home for the evening, SWITCH OFF the A/C about a minute before you pull into the driveway, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. That way the water never just sits in a foul, stinky puddle overnight.

It happens on every car with A/C, though some are more susceptible than others, depebding on factors like how high up the coil is, and how well 'aired' (ventilated) it is when the vehicle is parked.

Products abound to treat the mildewew smell, like airsept ( www.airsept.com ) but you don't NEED them if you follow the above guidelines.

Keith

BINGO!

As I said, it's counter-intuitive, but THIS is how we deal with it here. Running the fan too fast makes the interior noisier, makes the A/C run hotter, and wears things out faster...

...to say nothing about messing up my fabulously-coiffured 'do'!!!

As for "wet-dog" smelling A/C, this happens if the condensate drain gets blocked or obstructed, but ALSO if you turn off the A/C by switching off the fan, or similarly by stopping the car with the A/C running.

What happens is that the condensation on the chilling coil is never dried off, so it just sits there for a long time and pools up, allowing mould and bacteria to multiply... Just like leaving a wet towel in a plastic bag for any length of time. (Which I used to sometimes do when I had swimming class at school, and forgot to take my towel home!)

The way to prevent this is to ALWAYS switch off the A/C using the switch, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. -In this way, the condensation is evaporated into the vehicle cabin. -If you have the A/C on just before you pull in to home for the evening, SWITCH OFF the A/C about a minute before you pull into the driveway, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. That way the water never just sits in a foul, stinky puddle overnight.

It happens on every car with A/C, though some are more susceptible than others, depebding on factors like how high up the coil is, and how well 'aired' (ventilated) it is when the vehicle is parked.

Products abound to treat the mildewew smell, like airsept ( www.airsept.com ) but you don't NEED them if you follow the above guidelines.

Keith

Cheers Keith, your comments have proved to be a bonus for me, using re-circ and slower fan speed I've noticed an improvement in temps so that'll do me for now.

:icon_thumright:

just leave mine on auto and use climate control dials to change temp and as said before mines frosty.
mine must have been re-gassed surely

Auto-recirculate and recirculate BOTH recirculate in the same way, but auto leaves recirculate OFF most of the time...

'Recirculate' is recirculate full-time, or until you stop the car and remove the key.

Auto recirculate means ONLY recirculate when the hydrocarbon sensor detects fumes being drawn in from outside (EG waiting in line behind a nasty, smelly Diesel schoolbus...)

Good times to use the recirculate button are AFTER the car interior has cooled down a bit, since at first the air in the car is HOTTER than air outside (the 'greenhouse' effect). Recirculating THAT air will make the car much slower to cool, and INCREASE the vent temperatures.

BAD times to use the recirculate button are when there's a lot of humidity in the car, such as having just climbed into the car wearing wet clothes after a summer rain shower... The cars windows fog up MUCH more readily when you use the recirculate.

Keep the fan speed low, and the vents get nice and chill. -If you like, I have a vent temperature probe, and I can easily SHOW how the air warms up significantly when you speed up the fan.

Keith

OI !!! I DIDNT ask the question !!!!! Dec did!!! See Thread #33!!!!!!

I know what all the buttons are!!!!!!

VW Addict will you stop mis quoting me!

You may know a few things which is good to share but Stop arsin with me!

Apologies, but I was replying to two points in one post.

There's no mockery, no insult, no offence or anything of the sort intended.

Keith

Last edited:
OI !!! I DIDNT ask the question !!!!! Dec did!!! See Thread #33!!!!!!

I know what all the buttons are!!!!!!

Ah!

Okay, I HAVE to apologise for that one, since it is the result of an IDIOT mistake on my part.

I multi-quoted a post (using the "add quote" buttons) and INTENDED to delete the inappropriate bits, but due to me being a complete DUMBASS, I ended up making it look like Sarah had written something which she didn't.

PUBLIC APOLOGY.

Grovel...

Simper...

Self-flagellate...

Beg...

Sorry.

-Stating for the record, I most CERTAINLY didn't wish to make her look in any way foolish, I have NO problem with her at all, and enjoy her contributions to this site very much.

...If necessary, I offer to take my own life in the most disgusting manner imaginable by way of pennance for my sins.

Sorry about that, Sarah... And thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'll go back and edit the post now to correct for this clumsiness.

Keith

Lol, think that might just cover it!

I may be blonde but not daft! honest.

Cheers Keith and back to the original thread!

We're all friends on here so I forgive you lol

Sorry for all the hoo-ha guys! Im the dumbass for asking such a silly question :p

I sometimes get that horrible smell (I would refer to it as cats **** rather than wet dog :lmfao:) and that seems to be cleared up now. I sometimes leave the aircon button off for quite a long period (around a week, but thats 450-550 miles for me) or turn the whole unit off sometimes and it seems to occur after I do this.

I'm a dirty one (smoker) so have the windows open, and tend to turn off the aircon when the windows are down, not sure if this affects anything or not though.

Thanks VWAddict for the help, and sorry Sarah for you taking the blame for my stupidness :p

Keith

I tested this on Friday afternoon using an internal/external thermometer with an external probe that I stuck into one of the face-level vents just just above the radio/CD player. The coldest temperature I recorded was 7.1C. This was with climate control temperature setting on LO, a fan speed setting of 6 or 7 (of 12, set manually), and the button pressed to direct air out of the face level vents only. Using the max. fan speed and/or using the AUTO setting of the climate control gave a temperature of about about 9C. TBH, I'm not that impressed with the 7.1C degrees, aircon should be able to produce air cooled to below 5C, and do that regardless of the fan speed and vent selection.