How can I tell ?

dale86

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question how can I tell if an a4 is a sport or an se from pics in an ad. The reason I ask is my mates looking at one and hes sent me a link and in the pics its got the votex kit fitted like mine which I thought were only fitted on sport models but it has a four spoke steering wheel where as mine has a three which I thought was just on the sport models please educate me lol

Four spoke wheel is the sign of an SE unless it's a multi-function one.

Votex kit only comes as standard on Sports, but it's a common retrofit.

Sorry we havnt been to view it yet its just in an add on autotrader my thoughts were its had the kit fitted it also has the grey cloth trim and looks like grey plastics where as mines black which also i thought was only sports with black cloth hmmm

Sport should sit approx. 20mm lower than an SE. Post the link up on here for us to see

3 spoke wheel for sport and better seats post the add ?

is that the add ?
well its an SE as stated in the add
but its got the vortex kit fitted

if it's 2001 it would predate the gmbh (s-line) body kit even if it was a sport and wouldn't be colour coded either se or sport.

it's got sports seats (adjustable knee support), 4 spoke wheel was a 'downgrade' choice if you wanted (it doesn't look multi function)

votex kits weren't standard fit on any b6 but are Audi supplied / warranted if genuine - so it would only have come like that from the garage if they were showing / demoing.

as it's been lowered it doesn't really matter if it's an se or a sport does it?

Last edited:
As mentioned, thats a Votex kit rather than a GmbH one so I imagine it would be an SE.

i was just going on the add saying its a SE

I had my doubts about it not that its still not a bad car thanks for the replies and the knowledge.

I never twigged on about it saying se was just checking the photos out mainly lol thanks

Note the poor fit on the front lower and the obvious colour tone difference on the kit, too.