How "boy racer" is a non resonated, de-cat Miltek?

Reaction score
Evening all... My revo stage 1 8p is going in for stage 2 soon and I'll be fitting miltek system.. I like the idea of the de-cat and none resonated version as I like a raspy, harsh sounding exhaust... However I'm being warned that my choice is a very loud boy racer style noise!
Anyone fancy offering there views on how loud and "tastefull" they think said system is!?!?!

As far as I'm aware, it'll still be fairly quiet when idle, but make a "tastefull" bellow and a sweet up shift sound!

Hope everyone is in agreeance with me!
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 299
Exhausts are totally subjective. What is acceptable to one person would be another man's poison. My view? Your choice of exhaust would not suit me. It will sound like a Vauxhall with the silencers cut out... :)

And its not street legal with it being a decat.

Just my view though.

You don't need a decat even leaving out the legal side.
On anything less than a big turbo setup it isn't necessary.

I've had both the resonated and non resonated and for sure the non res version is louder but not quite as bad as curlo is making out.

Might be worth considering the BCS powervalve system, which is thought of as the best if both worlds. It has a resonated sound at low revs and full-on non-res at full chat.
It's pricey, but is known for very high quality workmanship and very good support from the BCS guys.
I'm heading over there tomorrow to get one fitted, so will find out if all the hype is warranted :)

Reactions: smurfworth
Might be worth considering the BCS powervalve system, which is thought of as the best if both worlds. It has a resonated sound at low revs and full-on non-res at full chat.
It's pricey, but is known for very high quality workmanship and very good support from the BCS guys.
I'm heading over there tomorrow to get one fitted, so will find out if all the hype is warranted :)

Im very interested in how you get on with this ! I plan on getting the powervalve system in the new year getting ready for Stage 2 +. Are you going for the de cat or 200 cell ?

Don't get me wrong. I had a non res milltek on my previous car (different marque, I know, but the concept is the same) which ran a 100 cell race cat and it sounded wonderful. But swap the cat for a decat and it's too much for me! All personal preference of course.

Reactions: Prees83 and S3Alex
Im very interested in how you get on with this ! I plan on getting the powervalve system in the new year getting ready for Stage 2 +. Are you going for the de cat or 200 cell ?
Going for the sports cat system - not keen on hanging out under my car before and after every MOT.

Reactions: Prees83
Yes that's what I'm thinking, and I believe the gains are negligible unless running a big turbo!

If you wouldn't mind let me know your feelings on the system. It's alot of money but looks like the best!

Reactions: S3Alex
Yes that's what I'm thinking, and I believe the gains are negligible unless running a big turbo!

If you wouldn't mind let me know your feelings on the system. It's alot of money but looks like the best!
Yup, will add pics too :)

OP, sorry for the slight thread highjack

Have to disagree, a decat is awesome on a 2.0 tfsi. I have a standard cat back but the gains are tremendous from removing a very coked up cat. Louder than standard but only.just when on part throttle and causing, then full thunder when at WOT. Perfect. No need for a full cb system for me. (a b7 tfsi but similar no doubt).

My mechanic will remove and refit for 50 quid before and after an mot so not bad, he can drop the oil while he's there so I don't have gallons of used oil in the garage.

Reactions: Prees83 and Dan-Jnr
I had a resonated system previous as I was worried about excessive noise.
If anything it was maybe too quiet and if I was to do it again would probably go non-res.

With early leggy Stage2+ S3s now dropping below the 10k mark Im tempted to get back into one actually.

Non-resonated with decat will be loud.
I have a Pipewerx 3" DP with decat on stock cat back, and its OEM sounding when cruisng round town but when on boost all hell breaks loose.
My blog has videos showing the exhaust sounds, I recommend listening with headphones for a truer sound.

Reactions: S3DUST
Noise gains with a decat ..... Yes.

Lots of bhp .... No.

Unless you're looking at removing all the restrictions for a BT.

I have a BCS downpipe and sports cat mated to a Milltek cat back non resonated system and it's loud. Very boy racer boomy at low revs and it only really sounds alright when it's on full boost.

So, to summarise...we all disagree with each other. :laugh:

Reactions: S3Alex and Prees83
you get a few more torque with decat, but i think it's too loud. i have non res tbe with cat and had resonated before and at idle they sound similar but on a wot non res is loud enough even sometimes too much. so decat would be even louder and that might be ok for short journey's but anything longer than 1 hour could be painfull.

Noise gains with a decat ..... Yes.

Lots of bhp .... No.

Unless you're looking at removing all the restrictions for a BT.
I appreciate what you're saying and with your history of cars I shouldn't disagree but this time I do :)

Mine certainly feels like much more bhp. Craig cull, I think, saw 18-25bhp from a decat on a b7 tfsi. Noise is negligible on part throttle. I'd prefer oem but release the horses' full potential. I can't see any gains from car back which is why I only removed the strangles cat.

I appreciate what you're saying and with your history of cars I shouldn't disagree but this time I do :)

Mine certainly feels like much more bhp. Craig cull, I think, saw 18-25bhp from a decat on a b7 tfsi. Noise is negligible on part throttle. I'd prefer oem but release the horses' full potential. I can't see any gains from car back which is why I only removed the strangles cat.

I'd have to say I'm surprised he made so much from a decat,but maybe his original cat was a bit strangled...LOL.

The other thing to consider is that you'll only see those peak gians at peak rpm,and at part throttle,which to be honest,is where most of us spend most of our time,the gains will be less.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want another 20bhp,as I spend a lot of time chasing gains here and there,but I do think a decat has significant drawbacks and the real gains come with much higher power applications.

Fair does dude, my cat was minging so probably was sapping power. Wish I had the resources to do a before and after RR and videos as it's night and day for my car. I did fit an 034 intake pipe which is larger and a drop in filter so air in and out is more and faster.

I do have an after video that I can upload later today which might show those with standard cars the difference.

Fair does dude, my cat was minging so probably was sapping power. Wish I had the resources to do a before and after RR and videos as it's night and day for my car. I did fit an 034 intake pipe which is larger and a drop in filter so air in and out is more and faster.

I do have an after video that I can upload later today which might show those with standard cars the difference.

It just depends on where the greatest restriction to gas flow is at the time I think,and if the cat was partly blocked,or damaged,then thats like having a tiny exhaust pipe instead of a 3" system.

If you look at it on a percentage basis,and say for instance that it's worth maybe 8-10% on a Stg2+ car,that would translate to bigger gains in bhp on a BT car,but it still is a pain.
The sort of cats you need for race or high power apps are pretty chunky.

I did get a few complaints when we tried this "system"...

That has a sort of middle box,but you can see what's missing at the back.....it was ear-bleedingly loud,but the turbo did come in quicker,but it had to go.

Reactions: JudderMan
I'd have to say I'm surprised he made so much from a decat,but maybe his original cat was a bit strangled...LOL.

The other thing to consider is that you'll only see those peak gians at peak rpm,and at part throttle,which to be honest,is where most of us spend most of our time,the gains will be less.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want another 20bhp,as I spend a lot of time chasing gains here and there,but I do think a decat has significant drawbacks and the real gains come with much higher power applications.
Like this view!