How bad is this oil leak?

Rob McF

Reaction score
Hello

No other signs of oil leak (drips on ground, smoke,smells etc.)

See attached image of Rocker Cover:

09/1.8TFSI(160)/134kMiles
Valve cover leaks

Hello

No other signs of oil leak (drips on ground, smoke,smells etc.)

See attached image of Rocker Cover:

09/1.8TFSI(160)/134kMiles
View attachment 150446

Hopefully it's just a little bit of oil that's been spilt during a previous oil change, clean it up, drive it for a few days, re-check it.
Make sure your oil isn't showing low on mmi aswell.

JG

Cheers JG for this reply...

I had quoted getting the rocker cover gasket replaced (but apparently its a chemical sealant only on this engine...) and that's a good few hours work, so I do hope it is just a spill. The oil on the mmi is not displaying as low

*edit - Also I will admit I am slightly concerned about the potential risk of a poor job done at the reseal if oil is leaking

Cheers JG for this reply...

I had quoted getting the rocker cover gasket replaced (but apparently its a chemical sealant only on this engine...) and that's a good few hours work, so I do hope it is just a spill. The oil on the mmi is not displaying as low

*edit - Also I will admit I am slightly concerned about the potential risk of a poor job done at the reseal if oil is leaking

It may be a good call to ask on here if there is a decent indie garage near you that some members could recommend.
Maybe it is a leak if the oil is low, you should top it up and see if it goes down again.

JG

I can't see any fresh oil in that image at all. Looks like old caked on oil that has been there for some time, so doubt there is even a leak. Clean it up, check it after a few weeks and job done.

Reactions: Rob McF
Oil likes to run espesically when hot, no oil on the ground no oil leak :sunglasses:

I can't see it :highly amused:

Reactions: Chop., Rob McF and DieselJake
I cant see an oil leak. give it wipe and leave it be.