How are you going to stop the baddies taking your new RS3?

I like the idea of the Ghost but nothing stopping them coming in and holding you up until you put the code in.
Someone comes into my house, they will leave in a box

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: John Pilkington and Adam28
There's always someone bigger than you buddy. Stay humble :thumbs up:
Doesnt mean that they dont have a knife either, I do feel safer with my 4 legged mate roaming loose, I suspect he would protect us if someone did get in, but before that he would have made that much noise at least id have chance to get my trousers on :)

Reactions: pburv
Doesnt mean that they dont have a knife either, I do feel safer with my 4 legged mate roaming loose, I suspect he would protect us if someone did get in, but before that he would have made that much noise at least id have chance to get my trousers on :)

I would wager that approaching “tackle out” would likely buy you valuable seconds of confusion to outwit the intruder…

• Haha
Reactions: pburv, johnmv55, Jcbmally and 1 other person
We have two as well but they don’t think twice about fatally wounding dogs these days either.

Reactions: johnmv55
I would wager that approaching “tackle out” would likely buy you valuable seconds of confusion to outwit the intruder…
I need the advance warning to get my motorcycle fork stanchion out of my wardrobe that I keep in there for the odd bit of weight training

not sure if anyone knows this, but the pandora system is decent have it on my car currently, better then the ghost in my opinion

not sure if anyone knows this, but the pandora system is decent have it on my car currently, better then the ghost in my opinion
Do you also have to have a tracker as well on the car?

hehe they are everywhere :) but from what I heard most in birmingham bradford
Birmingham isn't too bad compared to Bradistan. Definitely less car theft than Manchester, Liverpool and London.

Another reason why I buy older cars, even high performance ones aren't normally targetted.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could use that isn’t stupidly priced for monitoring my car when parked?
I just want something that monitors my car when it’s in for a service / parked up so I can look back and see if anything untoward has happened. I don’t do many miles so a proper dash cam isn’t something I’m bothered about.
You could use a cheap £20 tracker from eBay with a prepay SIM. Most of them have an Event Log (ignition on, off, etc.) and give you a link to Google Maps or similar and can trace out route history. It won't give you video footage of what's going on but it's an indication if your mechanic is taking the pi$$ with extra long test drives.

If you want video footage, dash cams are pretty cheap nowadays. I use one I picked up from Amazon for £40. It is 1080p, front and rear cameras, and takes a 128Gb micro SD.

Reactions: j0nny2013
Ghost again and a self fitted Rewire security tracker.
Took my old one off the 8V today, forgot how deep I’d buried it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnmv55 and j0nny2013
Ghost again and a self fitted Rewire security tracker.
Took my old one off the 8V today, forgot how deep I’d buried it

I suspect if you fit it yourself the theives will take longer to locate it

Years ago my car was broken into, they disarmed the alarm but didnt find my simple switch under the dash, they just flattened the battery trying to start it

I'm new to Audi and new to keyless entry. Will these cars still be susceptable to the signal being boosted / relayed from your key if it's nearby in a house or shop etc? I know you can use a Faraday container but that's not very handy if you're out and about. Worst case, can you disable the keyless feature an make the car only accept a button press from the remote? Thx

I'm new to Audi and new to keyless entry. Will these cars still be susceptable to the signal being boosted / relayed from your key if it's nearby in a house or shop etc? I know you can use a Faraday container but that's not very handy if you're out and about. Worst case, can you disable the keyless feature an make the car only accept a button press from the remote? Thx
On the previous 8V, may be yes. Had mine disabled by DJalix. Not sure about 8Y. Audi have introduced, sleep technology onto the keyfob, so after a few seconds/minutes of no movement, it goes into deep sleep, thereby playing dead. Not sure if the 8Y keyfobs have them.
Will be one of the first on the task list for me, to only allow, push button on keyfob to unlock door.

Reactions: Anyname
On the previous 8V, may be yes. Had mine disabled by DJalix. Not sure about 8Y. Audi have introduced, sleep technology onto the keyfob, so after a few seconds/minutes of no movement, it goes into deep sleep, thereby playing dead. Not sure if the 8Y keyfobs have them.
Will be one of the first on the task list for me, to only allow, push button on keyfob to unlock door.

New one has distance of signal measured so maybe less susceptible to it.

Reactions: RS03???
@M3 Convert Audi have developed a system for the 8Y whereby that the key knows whether it has physically moved or not. After a short time of no movement, the key (fob) becomes 'dead' and is not active to radio signals.

From what I take from this is that if you come home at 5pm, and by 5:15 the key is 'dead' and hasn't moved, if at 11pm someone tries to enhances the relay signal to the car it will not work unless the key have physically been moved within a certain period of time (not sure what the time is yet). So I think when the key is dead the car can only be opened by the fob itself if you move it/pick it up.

Reactions: Waq1
Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that Audi is beginning to respond to the threat. I did remember reading something about the distance checking feature too but I haven't been able to find whether that's definitely a feature of this new model. In any case I'm going to pick up a Faraday box and 2 pouches on Amazon Black Friday offer!

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that Audi is beginning to respond to the threat. I did remember reading something about the distance checking feature too but I haven't been able to find whether that's definitely a feature of this new model. In any case I'm going to pick up a Faraday box and 2 pouches on Amazon Black Friday offer!
Someone on the Golf R forum was complaining (they actually have a Gremlins thread whic is very busy) that his car kept turning the lights on and off when parked in his drive. Turned out he had the feature ''Turn headlights on when approaching car'' set to on and his key was just on the edge of the activation distance

I may need to be corrected here, but garages have the right to disconnect any (dash) camera in use whilst you're car is in for service/work.
Garage always pull the power lead on mine when it's in for a service.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Anyone know of any good trackers I can hide in the car? Not bothered about a ghost etc if they really want the car they can take it, got a disklok for now but would like a tracker for my own sake.

Anyone know of any good trackers I can hide in the car? Not bothered about a ghost etc if they really want the car they can take it, got a disklok for now but would like a tracker for my own sake.
Good gap cover and a steering lock and you're pretty indestructible mate. I wouldn't want it back after they've had it anyway tbh even if it was undamaged.

Reactions: Alexlfc17
Good gap cover and a steering lock and you're pretty indestructible mate. I wouldn't want it back after they've had it anyway tbh even if it was undamaged.
Fair enough mate! Thats what insurance is for I guess

Buy a couple of those Apple AirTags and hide em in car

Reactions: AndyVWR
I am still in 2 minds about tracker. An approved Tracker Allegedly brings the costs of the insurance by a tad, being the only benefit.
Rarely. They now have to be cat 6 iirc and the installation and subscription costs outweigh the savings. My insurer, admiral, give no discount. Only really worth it if the vehicle is rare or valuable.

trackers rely on the vehicle being recovered before its stripped and the tracker is found.

Rarely. They now have to be cat 6 iirc and the installation and subscription costs outweigh the savings. My insurer, admiral, give no discount. Only really worth it if the vehicle is rare or valuable.

trackers rely on the vehicle being recovered before its stripped and the tracker is found.

Similar to my experience with them too - also with admiral.

They pretty much said they won’t offer any discount with a tracker but there are some cars they won’t insure without one (I didn’t ask which cars).

You need one of these to stop the baddies :whistle2:

54c88a7e3cfa9_-_gatling-on-yukon-woman.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could use that isn’t stupidly priced for monitoring my car when parked?
I just want something that monitors my car when it’s in for a service / parked up so I can look back and see if anything untoward has happened. I don’t do many miles so a proper dash cam isn’t something I’m bothered about.
I know mention not a dashcam but I disagreem i think the best option is what i have a dashcam with battery back up - have it on both the s3 and rs3.

I have a Thinkware q800 dashcam with their battery backup, so a guaranteed 48+ hour parking footage, might be more than 48 hours with the battery. You can view the footage. However, the footage is on an sd card in the dashcam.

The blackvue dashcam may be better as footage is stored on the cloud. But id still get a battery backup for longer parking footage.

@M3 Convert Audi have developed a system for the 8Y whereby that the key knows whether it has physically moved or not. After a short time of no movement, the key (fob) becomes 'dead' and is not active to radio signals.

From what I take from this is that if you come home at 5pm, and by 5:15 the key is 'dead' and hasn't moved, if at 11pm someone tries to enhances the relay signal to the car it will not work unless the key have physically been moved within a certain period of time (not sure what the time is yet). So I think when the key is dead the car can only be opened by the fob itself if you move it/pick it up.
so you have to be careful then if you move your key when you go to bed

Just put your key in an old biscuit tin or similar

Reactions: 3vans and abmat
Do you think removing the RS3 badges on the front/rear would be enough to put them off the scent?

I want to get a Ghost for mine. Struggling to find any reputable installers in my area (south beds/herts). Google doesn’t give very much back when i search and most installers all seem to be up north…

I want to get a Ghost for mine. Struggling to find any reputable installers in my area (south beds/herts). Google doesn’t give very much back when i search and most installers all seem to be up north…
Autowatch are in Kent, you could ask them if there’s a installer near you

Reactions: M7
Just spoke to my supplying dealer, they asked if I needed a Tracker, I said no I will probably get a Ghost system fitted.

The reply was ''We had a customer who fitted one and because it interfeeres with the Cars electrical system Audi cancelled his warranty''

Best do a little homework before fitting one I suggest

Say what, I honestly doubt that unless it was badly fitted or faulty, think thats known as scaremongering.

Reactions: 8YARWY and 5pot
Just passing on what I have been told....................... I did hear that the Ghost system can interfere with the Audi diagnostics which I guess becasue of how it works is feasable