Hot hatch mega test

Big Matt

Reaction score
Ford Focus RS vs Honda Civic Type-R vs Audi RS3 vs Mercedes-AMG A45 & more: Hot Hatch MegaTest

Reactions: voorhees and Snibo
Good watch. Really a big fan of that Megane, drives so well.

Surprising that the RS3 forum doesn't have a thread on it..............
Although the cut and paste response would be we never drive it on the track and that it makes the best noise.

Reactions: veeeight, Kugaman1, Jassyo06 and 1 other person

Although the cut and paste response would be we never drive it on the track and that it makes the best noise.

...........which to be fair is no different to you cutting and pasting your usual brand snobbery accusation but the simple fact is as fun as those videos are the vast majority simply don't give a toss what does what on a track.

Reactions: thebluefox, Max-Robbo, Scottyg and 4 others
Watched it this morning,knew which car would come out on top "Well in there Opinion" but the test wasn't all done on the track,B roads aswell.....it's just there opinion and we all have one....they are just fortunate to express there's on a video with press cars...at no cost,only one car for me in that video the White one...lol

Reactions: millsy4002, WarwickL, Daveotto and 2 others
...........which to be fair is no different to you cutting and pasting your usual brand snobbery accusation but the simple fact is as fun as those videos are the vast majority simply don't give a toss what does what on a track.

Good point, well made, although if you watch the video it's not just on track.
Since you didn't watch, the RS3 is out of the running first, with it not handling the wet particularly well, having lifeless steering and a heavy front end, which leads to understeer.
Surprising for an "AWD" car.

This is a much better place with reasoned discussion and debate, rather than gibberish and GIF's.

Reactions: Snibo and Simon L
If I had £40500 to spend on a car then I would choose the Mercedes-AMG A45 over the RS3. Awesome car!

6 months in and I've not been on a track yet :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Reactions: jimojameso, Satory, Simon L and 1 other person
Wow the RS3 gets abit of a slating! Let's hope the facelift car gets the work the AMG got on its facelift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: millsy4002
Doesn't matter what they do to the A45, the interior will still look plastic and claustrophobic.

Reactions: Cymru09, thebluefox, Ignition1 and 7 others
Good point, well made, although if you watch the video it's not just on track.
Since you didn't watch, the RS3 is out of the running first, with it not handling the wet particularly well, having lifeless steering and a heavy front end, which leads to understeer.
Surprising for an "AWD" car.

This is a much better place with reasoned discussion and debate, rather than gibberish and GIF's.

Now I'm fairly sure you cut and pasted that assessment from a V8 quote! lol

...............can't promise to cut all the gibberish but I'm trying to keep the gifs reserved for special occasions ...............:yahoo:

(and no I didn't watch the video...................rather watch paint dry) lol

Reactions: Jassyo06, sjbarneS3 and Satory
Now I'm fairly sure you cut and pasted that assessment from a V8 quote! lol

...............can't promise to cut all the gibberish but I'm trying to keep the gifs reserved for special occasions ...............:yahoo:

(and no I didn't watch the video...................rather watch paint dry) lol
Any preference, type of paint that is.....lol

Reactions: Simon L
Any preference, type of paint that is.....lol

..................couldn't care less mate.....................probably pearlescent though if yer pushing me! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Really good video with excellent Presenters that keep you engaged throughout.

There was only going to be one winner when I saw the vehicles being tested.
Just shows that throwing loads of money at a vehicle really doesn't mean that you have the best vehicle.

Footie scene is well funny - particularly the end shot with the Presenter attempting to kick the ball :footy:

The fact that it was one of the first de-selected with the words "Get Rid" probably contributed to that :whistle2:

Nice, well balanced video with really good all-round tests.

:hi:

This is a much better place with reasoned discussion and debate, rather than gibberish and GIF's.[/QUOTE]
Craig, there was absolutely no need for the comment above other than to incite a reaction from others. Please refrain from doing so again

Reactions: A3_Rider, Scottyg, Terminator x and 1 other person
Wow, the above seems a bit harsh.
I was called a "Troll" the other day by someone, although I'm not bubbling about it.
:sob:

:glee:

Reactions: CraigI
Wow, the above seems a bit harsh.
I was called a "Troll" the other day by someone, although I'm not bubbling about it.
:sob:

:glee:

That was me and you were trolling! lol

Reactions: Satory
Good video. The RS3 (and Audi) understeer issues come back to haunt it again!!!

It's all been said before,how many time's have we been here,whether it be the S3 or RS3
Hopefully Audi will change its suspension set come the facelift,this thread isn't going anywhere here.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and WarwickL
Audi have obviously recognised (some of) the faults and partially addressed it by reducing the weight of the TTRS 2.5, which will appear in the facelift RS3 when it comes out.
This will help the oversteer (caused partially by it being front end heavy).

It's surprising that they got rid of it so quickly, especially in the wet, where the Quattro should give it more advantages than many of the rest.
Haldex limitations mean it needs very good damping to get the most out of it.
Front diff in the A45 obviously helps it in this test. Focus RS doesn't use Haldex and was always going to win, but looks terrible. Megane punches well above its weight by having a perfect chassis, exceptional damping and the front diff, just lacking in power.

It's a good time to be in the market for a hot hatch. Lots of good options out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, WarwickL, Snibo and 2 others
They kept banging on about how the Megane is only 24 grand, but it's over 33 in the test car configuration...

Reactions: Pulp84
They kept banging on about how the Megane is only 24 grand, but it's over 33 in the test car configuration...

When I bought Mrs Pulp a Renault ZOE, for giggles when i was at the dealer I got a quote on a Megane RS Sport Nav with a few options. Think it was just under £29k.

Think the GFV I was quoted was £13k which meant with a similar deposit to my S3 it was the same on the monthlies. It's a great car but it's ancient tech wise and the quality is just about acceptable. Think you have to be a real enthusiast to want one.

I saw the new 2017 Megane at the Renault store in Paris and it impressed me a lot. Quality and tech was in line with VW.

If they can do their usual Renault Sport magic on it then I think it could be a competitor on the whole ownership package aspect.

Regarding the video........really surprised how badly the RS3 faired.

Just watched it.
Surprising about the RS3 being the first one binned, however, totally agree about the "relatively" slow gearbox.
The 7 speed dsg isnt anywhere near as quick as the 8 speed I had in the bmw m135i.

Still, as I have always said, I drive my car on real roads and at fairly normal speeds. For my style of driving, the S3 and RS3 are absolutely perfect cars.

Audi have obviously recognised (some of) the faults and partially addressed it by reducing the weight of the TTRS 2.5, which will appear in the facelift RS3 when it comes out.

It's surprising that they got rid of it so quickly, especially in the wet, where the Quattro should give it more advantages than many of the rest.
Front diff in the A45 obviously helps it in this test. Focus RS doesn't use Haldex and was always going to win, but looks terrible. Megane punches well above its weight by having a perfect chassis, exceptional damping and the front diff, just lacking in power.

It's a good time to be in the market for a hot hatch. Lots of good options out there.

Let's hope the new RS3 puts the AMG to shame when it comes out later in the year. Audi will want that no.1 crown back!!

Let's hope the new RS3 puts the AMG to shame when it comes out later in the year. Audi will want that no.1 crown back!!

To be fair, I dont think the RS3 ever had the number one crown!

It doesn't understeer on the road at sane speeds, fact as I have one. As Craig says why would I give a **** if it understeers on a track ;)

TX.

Just watched it.
Surprising about the RS3 being the first one binned, however, totally agree about the "relatively" slow gearbox.
The 7 speed dsg isnt anywhere near as quick as the 8 speed I had in the bmw m135i.

Still, as I have always said, I drive my car on real roads and at fairly normal speeds. For my style of driving, the S3 and RS3 are absolutely perfect cars.

Gearbox change is instant when you are on it (with paddles), slower if pottering around but why would you want th box banging in gear changes then.

TX.

PS. Before the usual suspects accuse me of being "defensive" I'm just telling you how it is having owned one for 6 months.

Reactions: Scottyg
I don't understand why anyone on an Audi forum would slate an extremely capable, great look and good value hatch. I wouldn't put the RS3 into the hot hatch category. Hot hatches to me are 208 GTi, Fiesta ST, Corsa VXR etc. The RS3 is a more grown up car.
I'd happily take one in a heart beat. That film was so obvious from the start. Audi is expensive so binned. Let's all go with the RS. It's like listening to a script. Every reporter loves it! Why? I don't know. Hate fords. Had two hated both!

Reactions: Ignition1, richinsoton and Simon L
Either way Audi will fix any understeer on the facelift and more power

Just watched it.

The same ZF box that is so good BMW put it in all their M cars?

You must have been driving a broken RS3 to think that the ZF box is faster on up changes.

Even I am going to stick up for the RS3 on that one lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
Either way Audi will fix any understeer on the facelift and more power

Doubt that they haven't cured it for year's from the 8p to the 8v......it doesn't stop people buying them though

Reactions: richinsoton and Simon L
Very true and it won't stop me either

I don't understand why anyone on an Audi forum would slate an extremely capable, great look and good value hatch. I wouldn't put the RS3 into the hot hatch category. Hot hatches to me are 208 GTi, Fiesta ST, Corsa VXR etc. The RS3 is a more grown up car.
I'd happily take one in a heart beat. That film was so obvious from the start. Audi is expensive so binned. Let's all go with the RS. It's like listening to a script. Every reporter loves it! Why? I don't know. Hate fords. Had two hated both!

Scott the RS3 is the exact same price as the merc,the RS3 was in there minds and every other motoring journalist's mind a Major disappointment straight from its release,they had high expectations of this car....and the rest is history,yeah l am huge fan of the car,awesome car it is in a lot of way's

Reactions: Simon L and Scottyg
All depends who's paying the journo's more to crit their car. Personally, the A-Class is smaller, more cramped and has a cheaper feeling and looking interior to the A3. Not just in A45 or RS3 guise. I test drove the A-Class before I bought the A3 and felt hemmed in the A-Class and uncomfortable. The A3 is a much better place to sit in. As Tx said, who drives them like they did in the test in normal day to day driving?

Reactions: Simon L, Terminator x and Dazzeroo
I dont pretend to be a journalist or a car reviewing expert BUT my opinion is that this hot hatch review/test was conducted back to front in terms of then binning 7 out of 10 motors.

Hot hatches are road cars which should you choose to may be used on the track or am I wrong? These cars were evaluated on the basis of their performance on track which seems illogical given they are road cars?

Also, for the RS3 to be ruled out first was a big surprise to me. The RS3 engine is an absolute masterclass in automotive engineering and the RS3 looks amazing albeit is a subjective opinion of course .

Having owned several Focus ST's, S3's and more recently an M135i, I always come back to Audi as for 9.5/10, their performance cars offer all that I want and need in a daily driver. If I could afford an RS3 I'd be in one right now and I'm really looking forward to my wifes S3 sportback arriving later this month.

Apologies for the rant, just felt the need :)

Reactions: James 123 and Simon L
I dont pretend to be a journalist or a car reviewing expert BUT my opinion is that this hot hatch review/test was conducted back to front in terms of then binning 7 out of 10 motors.

Hot hatches are road cars which should you choose to may be used on the track or am I wrong? These cars were evaluated on the basis of their performance on track which seems illogical given they are road cars?

Also, for the RS3 to be ruled out first was a big surprise to me. The RS3 engine is an absolute masterclass in automotive engineering and the RS3 looks amazing albeit is a subjective opinion of course .

Having owned several Focus ST's, S3's and more recently an M135i, I always come back to Audi as for 9.5/10, their performance cars offer all that I want and need in a daily driver. If I could afford an RS3 I'd be in one right now and I'm really looking forward to my wifes S3 sportback arriving later this month.

Apologies for the rant, just felt the need :)
@Dazzeroo you've made a huge mistake. Getting the wife an S3 SB instead of a A3 S-line could have given you that extra bucks you required to get into your own RS3. :friends:
:whistle2:

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06 and Dazzeroo

There in lies the problem though Craig, there is absolutely no competition out there except for the extremists (and a few jerk-offs who drive their cars like a complete **** on a daily basis) who really don't care for interior/exterior aesthetics, everyday practicality and all the other good stuff that make Audi the best all round package.

My brand locality is only here because there's nothing else that offers what I want. If in the future another manufacturer, any manufacturer (yes, even Ford!) offers more than I currently have I'll be all over it like a rash.

............but I'll tell you one thing you will not see me haunting this forum slagging off Audi (or posting pics of me new motor) just because I now think I've got the best thing since sliced bread. Honestly I can't think of anything more pathetic.......................

Reactions: Daveotto and Scottyg
The same ZF box that is so good BMW put it in all their M cars?

You must have been driving a broken RS3 to think that the ZF box is faster on up changes.

Even I am going to stick up for the RS3 on that one lol

Well, I owned an m135i auto and had an extended drive of an RS3.
Dont want to go off track, but in my experience, the BMW box was much quicker than the Audi one.....apparently the testers on the video agree....

I owned the m135 sport auto and now have rs3, the s tronic is faster and sharper when on it than the Bmw kuga, no doubt.

I thought the zf was a let down when in manual(great box rest time)and going for it too soft all round. And box slow up and down

Owned a 3 series with sport ZF and did 83,000 miles in it.

Use a gear box over that many miles you know by the end if it was brilliant or just OK.

Where the RS3 gear box is "slow" is on paddle downshifts and that would become apparent on a track. The ZF box is better in that aspect but on up shifts the DSG is not slower.