Hopefully simple electrical question 12v ign live needed

lynallbel

Reaction score
Got to fit in car cam to wifes motor this week, and would like to know a safe place to pick up an ignition live feed preferably from the end of the dash fuse box area to save me having to go back to the cig lighter.

I have just installed one into my S4. The fag lighter is a non-switched permanently live 12v. So I pulled off the lower fairing under the sttering wheel, and unbolted the main fuse box. (I am going by memory here, so hopefully will give you a guide). In the center block of the smaller fuses (near the top), there is a busbar with a switched 12v live. Use a multimeter to check. Be careful, as the airbag fuse is near there and is a 12v switched live. DO NOT USE THIS. The one I used was marked (something like) diagnostic port, aux heating and something else. it was a 10amp small blade fuse.

Sorry for the sort of's as I am in class. I'll pop open the panel later and put in a pic.

I esentially stripped the power adaptor for the camera to wire in spades for positive and negative. I bolted negative directly to chassis. The positve spade slid tightly in with the 12v switched busbar. Works a treat!

You could use a bladed fuse tap connector Imageto piggy back off an existing circuit. I think there is also a spare socket for towbar electrics which is live when the engine is running which you could plug into

I have just installed one into my S4. The fag lighter is a non-switched permanently live 12v. So I pulled off the lower fairing under the sttering wheel, and unbolted the main fuse box. (I am going by memory here, so hopefully will give you a guide). In the center block of the smaller fuses (near the top), there is a busbar with a switched 12v live. Use a multimeter to check. Be careful, as the airbag fuse is near there and is a 12v switched live. DO NOT USE THIS. The one I used was marked (something like) diagnostic port, aux heating and something else. it was a 10amp small blade fuse.

Sorry for the sort of's as I am in class. I'll pop open the panel later and put in a pic.

I esentially stripped the power adaptor for the camera to wire in spades for positive and negative. I bolted negative directly to chassis. The positve spade slid tightly in with the 12v switched busbar. Works a treat!

Rico thanks for that hopefully save me a bit of time.
I remember once trying to find a rev feed in a jcb took me forever, not impressed!

Use the engine management, that's what my ignition live is for my air suspension.