Hopefully getting my 8P next week, few Qs

Stu.h

Reaction score
First post, joined in 2014 for some reason, probably thinking about an Audi then as well :grinning:

So I think it’s an 8P, it’s a 2011 A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI..

Found out today that is has a timing chain so don’t need to be concerned about a belt needing changing.
Would possibly think about a remap at some point, so are the clutches in these cars pretty good at handling the extra 50hp or can they tend to slip. Car has done around 80k. I know it will be down to previous owners driving style, but is the clutch stronger in the 1.8 over the 1.4 and 1.2TFSI, and what is the ft/lb torque rating?

ICE - I would like to change the Audi Chorus double din unit for something that offer Apple CarPlay.
I’m quite handy with ICE in general, and I right in thinking there will be an amplifier for the rear 2 speakers which will need cutting out the equation and wired directly to head unit? I may just install an aftermarket amplifier at the same time for this.
But main question is around the compatibility and harnesses required to get a double din head unit installed, or use a facia etc. Ok with that bit, just the bit around connecting it to the Audi loom.

Oil - I’m quite aware these engines can use a lot of oil, I think I read somewhere about a good 5w-40 oil can slow this down, so thoughts around that also.

Will have a read around the forums also which may answer some of the above questions, but know things can be particular and different with each Audi model and engine.

Thanks in advance
Stu :thumbs up:

I can answer the ICE query. connects2 can provide you the correct harness for the aftermarket upgrade. I ended up getting a pioneer and it comes with apple car play / android auto. Apple car play works great. The harness will let you retain the steering wheel controls.

Reactions: Stu.h
I can answer the ICE query. connects2 can provide you the correct harness for the aftermarket upgrade. I ended up getting a pioneer and it comes with apple car play / android auto. Apple car play works great. The harness will let you retain the steering wheel controls.
Thanks for that. Have read that the Kenwoods etc can cause issues, but Pioneers tend to be quite good compatibility wise.
Do you happen to have a picture of the Pioneer installed please and the connects2 harness and head unit part numbers?
TIA!

You can check the Android units as well.
Although I have the original head unit still so I cannot comment on quality or cabling.
But the android units have the OEM look which is nice.

Oil - I’m quite aware these engines can use a lot of oil, I think I read somewhere about a good 5w-40 oil can slow this down, so thoughts around that also.

Hi Stu.h,

as for oil, I am using Motul or LiquiMoly 5W40 on my 2006 A3 8P 2.0T 6sp.

Cheers,

Motul5W40

First post, joined in 2014 for some reason, probably thinking about an Audi then as well :grinning:

Found out today that is has a timing chain so don’t need to be concerned about a belt needing changing.
Would possibly think about a remap at some point, so are the clutches in these cars pretty good at handling the extra 50hp or can they tend to slip. Car has done around 80k. I know it will be down to previous owners driving style, but is the clutch stronger in the 1.8 over the 1.4 and 1.2TFSI, and what is the ft/lb torque rating?

ICE - I would like to change the Audi Chorus double din unit for something that offer Apple CarPlay.
I’m quite handy with ICE in general, and I right in thinking there will be an amplifier for the rear 2 speakers which will need cutting out the equation and wired directly to head unit? I may just install an aftermarket amplifier at the same time for this.
But main question is around the compatibility and harnesses required to get a double din head unit installed, or use a facia etc. Ok with that bit, just the bit around connecting it to the Audi loom.

Will have a read around the forums also which may answer some of the above questions, but know things can be particular and different with each Audi model and engine.

Thanks in advance
Stu :thumbs up:
When I went to Halfords to enquire about a double din unit to go in mine, they mentioned that an additional item is required for S-Line if it's fitted with the Bose stereo. I don't think they charge much to fit the whole thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I’ve decided to go with an Android unit from Xtrons.
I like the look of the one unit being very factory-esque, all the added functionality and around half the price for the branded ones.
Mine isn’t Bose, but I believe all Audi A3’s have a factory amplifier so the speaker outs for the amp will need replacing for the RCA out from the headunit.
Should have the headunit in a few hours so can have a look.

I’ve decided to go with an Android unit from Xtrons.
I like the look of the one unit being very factory-esque, all the added functionality and around half the price for the branded ones.
Mine isn’t Bose, but I believe all Audi A3’s have a factory amplifier so the speaker outs for the amp will need replacing for the RCA out from the headunit.
Should have the headunit in a few hours so can have a look.
Did you end up fitting this? I am about to buy one of the xtrons units for my s3 which doesn't have the bose system.
Just wondered if you got all the speakers working?

Did you end up fitting this? I am about to buy one of the xtrons units for my s3 which doesn't have the bose system.
Just wondered if you got all the speakers working?
Hi there
Yeah I got it all working, its all plug and play.
I do have the infamous alternator whine which gets louder with lights on, ROM of engine etc.
It's not *too* bad, but I plan on ripping out all the Bose stuff and replacing with aftermarket amplifier, speakers and a stealth 10" anyhow.