Hopefully a soon to be Audi owner

MrSma

Reaction score
Well currently I drive a 1.9TDi Leon, but I've had my fun with it and played around enough ( air ride, wheels etc etc ) so now I think it's time to get myself a nice A3 and keep it simple.

I think I plan on going for a 8P A3 1.8TFSI, was planning to go for the same 1.9 as my leon but want a big better performance.

From Northern Ireland and should have a Audi soon enough.

Welcome to the site lad, the 1.8 tfsi is a great engine, it's quite revvy and eager to go, but unless you're putting big money into it then it's tuning options are very limited.

My preference would be the 2.0tdi diesel, which even with a generic map, will tune to at least 180bhp, which is a lot quicker than the 1.8 petrol and a lot easier to run too.

Im the events organiser for the Northern Ireland area of the club so please check out our section of the forum, and if you've any questions I'll be happy to help you.

Aaron

Reactions: MrSma
Welcome to the site lad, the 1.8 tfsi is a great engine, it's quite revvy and eager to go, but unless you're putting big money into it then it's tuning options are very limited.

My preference would be the 2.0tdi diesel, which even with a generic map, will tune to at least 180bhp, which is a lot quicker than the 1.8 petrol and a lot easier to run too.

Im the events organiser for the Northern Ireland area of the club so please check out our section of the forum, and if you've any questions I'll be happy to help you.

Aaron

Its a good point you mention that but are the 2.0 tdi engines not like the rest of the vag group being the more problematic, if your getting 180 out of the 2 litre, the 1.8 starts at 160?

some say the early 2.0 PDs give bother, but a few of my mates have them and they not had an issue. Pumps and flywheels can go on them but check before buying as these may have been replaced already. It's a lot to do with the way it's been maintained. Servicing regularly will keep them running sweet as a nut. If you're looking at mapping a 2.0 PD and you're particularly concerned, go for an economy map, it's a good balance between power and mpg.

The 1.8 starts at 160, but there's really not a lot you can do with them to get more power, unless you're looking to spend a healthy amount on it. If it was my choice I'd be going for the diesel

some say the early 2.0 PDs give bother, but a few of my mates have them and they not had an issue. Pumps and flywheels can go on them but check before buying as these may have been replaced already. It's a lot to do with the way it's been maintained. Servicing regularly will keep them running sweet as a nut. If you're looking at mapping a 2.0 PD and you're particularly concerned, go for an economy map, it's a good balance between power and mpg.

The 1.8 starts at 160, but there's really not a lot you can do with them to get more power, unless you're looking to spend a healthy amount on it. If it was my choice I'd be going for the diesel

The only reason I haven't considered the 2 litre is because of the known issues but it's something to add into the pot.

The tfsi engines are good but they are quite excessive on oil and petrol. For me it had to be the diesel. What year of a3 you looking

The tfsi engines are good but they are quite excessive on oil and petrol. For me it had to be the diesel. What year of a3 you looking

Yeah that was the major downside for me, I'm not sure to be honest, whatever comes up I'm going to look at a 2010 model tomorrow but maybe from 07 onwards

There was a watchdog report on tfsi excessive oil consumption, Audi know about the issue but aren't doing much about it. It's mostly about the 2.0 tfsi, but there have been reports of the same happening on the 1.8.

I think this is more worrying than any problems on the diesels.

Try and go for 2009 or newer, the 8P got its last facelift in 09.

There was a watchdog report on tfsi excessive oil consumption, Audi know about the issue but aren't doing much about it. It's mostly about the 2.0 tfsi, but there have been reports of the same happening on the 1.8.

I think this is more worrying than any problems on the diesels.

Try and go for 2009 or newer, the 8P got its last facelift in 09.

Yeah that's true. I was wondering when the facelift was, thanks mate.