Hopeful soon new owner... a few questions

Speedychuck

Reaction score
Firstly hi! New to the forum, first post and all that. Have come from the rwd bmw dark side (440bhp 135i) and hoping to find more grip with an Audi!

I’m on the hunt for an s3 saloon, facelift with virtual cockpit, super sports seats and preferably b and o. Even better in panther black.

Thing is, there seems to be a ton of options on these cars it’s so confusing.... interior light pack, matrix lights, mag ride etc. I don’t know what’s standard and what to look for.

matrix lights for instance, i tried Audi’s configurations for new cars and you can only spec them with adaptive cruise control. Is that right or do they all come with this?

how about the interior lights pack, what’s the easiest way to tell a car has them? Any obvious things in photos?

Is mag ride standard? My old a4 daily had active steering too where it was variable ratio. Really clever. But does the a1 have anything similar?

had my eye on a car on eBay, but i smelled a rat, the grill is wrong and looking at the mot report, it’s almost certainly been in a crash.

anyway, apologies if all this info was already available and I’ve not seen it. Would love to hear from anyone who came from an N54 car to an S3 how it compared too.

thanks in advance!

Mag ride is standard on S3 saloons.

Not sure in regards to whether you need ACC with matrix lights, not sure I've heard that before. Matrix lights are great from what I've heard, but standard LEDs are still phenomenal.

Extended Interior light pack allows for change of colour, otherwise it'd likely have extended LEDs which will just be white.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Hi Terry! No problem I’m sure others will have useful info.

Adam, thanks for that. So mag ride is standard on saloons. That’s worth knowing as it’s one less thing that needs to affect my search for a car. Didn’t know colour changing leds were even a thing on a car interior! Hopefully I’ll find a car with these. Regarding headlights, so all the facelift lights are led regardless? With matrix led being the higher spec option? I had presumed they were xenon/hid in their “low” spec form. That’s good as well. I liked the idea of led headlights but don’t think I’ll find a car with matrix ones. Do you know if there’s any easy way to identify matrix lights?

with bmw, checking the spec of a car was easy, you just punch the last 7 digits of the vin in online and if gave you the build. Shame there’s nothing like that for Audi.

regarding acc- if you go onto the Audi page and try to spec a new s3, you’ll see what I mean. There’s no option for matrix lights without already specifying acc.

Also, do you know if cars with virtual cockpit automatically get the higher spec mmi?

Thanks!!!

Reactions: Adam14
Hi Terry! No problem I’m sure others will have useful info.

Adam, thanks for that. So mag ride is standard on saloons. That’s worth knowing as it’s one less thing that needs to affect my search for a car. Didn’t know colour changing leds were even a thing on a car interior! Hopefully I’ll find a car with these. Regarding headlights, so all the facelift lights are led regardless? With matrix led being the higher spec option? I had presumed they were xenon/hid in their “low” spec form. That’s good as well. I liked the idea of led headlights but don’t think I’ll find a car with matrix ones. Do you know if there’s any easy way to identify matrix lights?

with bmw, checking the spec of a car was easy, you just punch the last 7 digits of the vin in online and if gave you the build. Shame there’s nothing like that for Audi.

regarding acc- if you go onto the Audi page and try to spec a new s3, you’ll see what I mean. There’s no option for matrix lights without already specifying acc.

Also, do you know if cars with virtual cockpit automatically get the higher spec mmi?

Thanks!!!
Yes facelift (2017+) will all be LED, the cluster looks different there is a post on here showing the difference but I don't remember it being an easy difference to spot! Sorry.

Yes pretty sure you'll get higher spec MMI if you have virtual cockpit.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Hi Matey, Panther Black is the nuts but be warned that if you need any bodywork in the future it can be a nightmare to get any corrections..... It is worth it though, looks amazing when clean, but dull and normal black when remotely dirty (After 10 minutes of driving this time of year)
The LED interior Pack - must have. B&O - Must have, Tech Pack - Must have, Comfort Pack - Nice to have) Rear air bags - must have if you have kids. Other things that are good for future sales ( Extended leather, black pack pre sense etc)

Thanks for your advice. I went and bought a car today. Had to travel 4 hours each way to get it, so it’s been a long day. Worth it though! Has virtual cockpit, supersport seats and tech pack. My this black, but you can’t have everything!!

Attachments

• 7B149862-B0E7-435D-B80B-A368BDF16DC1.jpeg
    7B149862-B0E7-435D-B80B-A368BDF16DC1.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: Dunedin, JimmyMcGee, Chris.D and 3 others
Firstly hi! New to the forum, first post and all that. Have come from the rwd bmw dark side (440bhp 135i) and hoping to find more grip with an Audi!

I’m on the hunt for an s3 saloon, facelift with virtual cockpit, super sports seats and preferably b and o. Even better in panther black.

Thing is, there seems to be a ton of options on these cars it’s so confusing.... interior light pack, matrix lights, mag ride etc. I don’t know what’s standard and what to look for.

matrix lights for instance, i tried Audi’s configurations for new cars and you can only spec them with adaptive cruise control. Is that right or do they all come with this?

how about the interior lights pack, what’s the easiest way to tell a car has them? Any obvious things in photos?

Is mag ride standard? My old a4 daily had active steering too where it was variable ratio. Really clever. But does the a1 have anything similar?

had my eye on a car on eBay, but i smelled a rat, the grill is wrong and looking at the mot report, it’s almost certainly been in a crash.

anyway, apologies if all this info was already available and I’ve not seen it. Would love to hear from anyone who came from an N54 car to an S3 how it compared too.

thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Super sports seats and B&O are must have options IMHO. The seats, if nothing else, lift the cabin and make it look more special. The B&O system is just brilliant. I've sat in other manufacturers cars, and the B&O system in my S3 Saloon, is still one of the best.

Extended Mano pur is a good option, as it again, lifts the cabin to feel more special, and less Boggo A3.

There's not a great deal other options that would be a deal breaker for me. Cruise control is a good option, but TBH I rarely use mine. Generally only in motorway 50mph roadworks.

As for colour. Black always looks noce (when clean) but take a look at Sapang Blue. That's the colour I have, and it'd one of Audi's best colours.

Thanks for your advice. I went and bought a car today. Had to travel 4 hours each way to get it, so it’s been a long day. Worth it though! Has virtual cockpit, supersport seats and tech pack. My this black, but you can’t have everything!!
Looks tasty, to be honest after a day of driving you wont notice the difference in the blacks. Are you planning any mods? or keeping as it is?

The blacks are lovely, in fact I was dead set on my S3 being black until I saw my Navara Blue. Looks great buddy, enjoy!

Looks tasty, to be honest after a day of driving you wont notice the difference in the blacks. Are you planning any mods? or keeping as it is?

thanks, having given the car a polish and seen that mythos black is not just a straight metallic wth silver flake and still has kind of a glitter flake, I’m actually really happy with the colour.

Regarding mods, I had definitely planned to. But Audi scuppered the plans slightly by giving me a 2 year warranty with the car. I also plugged it in yesterday on vcds and was amazed to find the car had never been launched a single time.

I’d like it to sit a bit lower, that’s my biggest gripe. But getting the mag ride recalibrated will be a bit of a ball ache. Would like a few subtle mods too. Splitter, diffuser, maybe the oem carbon spoiler. Not sure what else really!