Honeycomb grill DIY?

niedzial1983

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a DIY ? Honeycomb plastic is widely available and shaping and fitting it should not be a big deal ?

2006 Audi A6 3.0TDI quattro sline le mans | Daytona Grey Pearl

I haven't replaced my grill but removing the front bumper cover isn't difficult .... There's lots of videos on YouTube that walk you through pulling the bumper cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niedzial, getting the honeycomb sheet cut to size of the grill frame is easy.
You need to curve it to the correct shape of the grill before it actually, what might make it more difficult.
Shaping before cutting to size is more important as the cut to size piece might shrink after curving.
It is possible but personally think as a waste of time. Unless you live DIY.

Seen some videos on UT of some guys in US moulding metal honeycombe sheets to the correct size and shape.
They used home-made mdf template of the exact size and shape as the original grill, placed metal homeycombe sheet over it and hammer it in with another mdf template cut out from the first piece (if this make any sense?).
This should give tou an idea:

Than, just to trim it and attach to the oem grill frame with whatever you want (glue, screws, ect)
Back on the car looks wicked.

I know it doable but more time consumin than it migh be worth as these grills are less than a £100 around on the net.