1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Homemade Grill

danrst171 Dec 9, 2020

1. danrst171

danrst171 Registered User

Has anyone successfully (or not so successfully) tried making their own front grill?

As a pre-facelift owner, I'm kinda forced down this route anyway, but even facelift grills are expensive given the materials.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips from their own experience?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. purdy1984

purdy1984 New Member

Depending on the look you are after why not plati-dip paint it? Ive done this on my S3 and to be honest looks ok if you take the time to prep etc. Wont be as good as the full black ones you can buy but probably better than anything you make without serious time, effort and money.

4. danrst171

I was going for the honeycomb look, so was going to buy ABS honeycomb plastic, some rubber edging and cut out the original horizontal plastic from the grill and glue / tape the new bits into the old grill.

Should look alright for about £30 and a days work...maybe!

5. purdy1984

purdy1984 New Member

have to post pic when you've done it,

6. Daveyonthemove

Daveyonthemove Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Will tape and glue stand up to extreme cold and constant high wind pressure as you are driving around?

7. danrst171

Super glue?

I have no idea lol. Perhaps it needs plastic welding? Will give it a whirl and throw some cable ties on initially and see what happens.

8. soulwaffle

soulwaffle Member

epoxy glue by jbweld

S. likes this.
  9. danrst171

Materials ordered. Let's see how this goes!