Hole in dash after removing phone prep. Who has had hole repaired

donovan2123

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As above, I am considering removing the stupid dash phone prep unit which I know once removed will leave a huge hole in dash!!!

Just wondering if anyone has had hole filled by a trim repair place? And if so what the results were like?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Forget it, you can't get the same texture, best option is to replace the dash.

It's a grained vinyl mate, you'll never get an invisible repair. That's if anyone would even dream of tackling it. Not trying to put a damper on but seriously it's not going to be possible. You'd be much quicker just buying a dash and swapping it.

Reactions: NHN
It's a grained vinyl mate, you'll never get an invisible repair. That's if anyone would even dream of tackling it. Not trying to put a damper on but seriously it's not going to be possible. You'd be much quicker just buying a dash and swapping it.

What he said.

Thanks guy. Very much noted. Just assumed in this day and age someone would be able to do something with hole and get the texture near perfect

The amount of S3's that I ruled out when I was looking to buy mine just because of that monstrosity on the dash was frustrating.
So many nice ones out there with good service history, but as soon as I saw that thing in the interior photos I ruled it out.
This thread should show you what you will be dealing with.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/hole-in-my-dash.152193/

Its time consuming & you have to be meticulous in refitting.

You could try doing it yourself - there are kits out there that come with textured paper that try and match the grain;

Probably worth a shot before you consider replacing the dash.

Here is someone you can try, no idea what they cost but they'd tell you if its possible to repair at all. Auto upholsterers in Rugby, West Midlands:

Click Here

We need a picture of this phone prep and the offending hole.
then i can tell you it cant be done :)

The problem will be if anyone can actually repair it they will almost certainly need to remove the dash to get to the back of it and at that point you might as well fit a new dash..
Basically listen to Nige. He knows what he is talking about with Audis, he's been there, done that with knobs on, got the T shirt, written the book, stared in the film and saved the world..before breakfast most days.

Last edited:
Not my car but will be same hole
46778066bf25e383063392e7a218af9d.jpg

****** hell, there must be laws against that ?

Reactions: Nessy, ScottyP45 and Daveyonthemove
Mine had the phone kit in the arm rest.
I ripped it out pretty swiftly, it's a dated ugly and useless feature.

Reactions: ScottyP45
I've got the 1990s pointless phone mount in the armrest too. Now where did I put my 3310....??

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Totally agree, who in their right mind would allow such butchery?
Am so glad my own car has never been messed with for a phone....
I think that it's made worse by the fact that someone at Audi designed it and it was signed off.
Shocking decision.

Point is you have to remember the car was designed around 2000-2001 (may be earlier) and that was the best tech at that point, the B6/B7 A4 also had similar mounts fitted to the centre console, I'm sure in another 10 years time someone will have the same comments about the tech in the 8V A3. Like what idiot put USB ports in there they are soooo last century, and you know what they will be right

I think that it's made worse by the fact that someone at Audi designed it and it was signed off.
Shocking decision.

I had no idea that it was factory , but now that you mention it the sides of the hole do look formed.....what a dumb idea though.
I’d be inclined to either fit another dash (a load of hassle I know ) or refit whatever went into that hole, or the base of it at least, it has to be less ugly than that hole......

Not my car but will be same hole
46778066bf25e383063392e7a218af9d.jpg
****** hell! I thought we were talking about a handful of screw holes, not a secondary glovebox! If you can't be ***** replacing the whole dash, I'd be inclined to cover it up with a phone holder or something?

As Dave says , in a few years time people will say who on earth designed that stupid satnav on the 8v that sticks up out of the dash like an after though ? Mine is built into the dash, the 8p is an altogether better deigned car.

Shocking decision.

I dont think anyone "designed" that Dave :) not unless their drawing board was on the tilt and they were 4x over the limit :)

Reactions: Daveyonthemove