Hold Assist

Yeh, lots of people (wrongly) call it 'hill hold', 'hill hold assist' or 'hha' which are worth searching on as well.
VW call it Auto Hold which is a less confusing description IMO.

I wouldn't be without one. It should be a standard fitment IMHO . In traffic click it on and it works like a handbrake . Function stays on until you turn it off! Brilliant.
It is fitted as standard on the new Golf, we are test driving at the moment. So is the tyre pressure indicator which I also believe should be fitted as standard. If we decide to buy an Audi we will definitely want both these fitted.

TPMS will be compulsory on all cars in the EU from 2014 so I will not be expecting to pay for it!

You will though, as Audi will put up the prices of the car to account for the new standard kit, just like they did with DAB.

TPMS will be compulsory on all cars in the EU from 2014 so I will not be expecting to pay for it!

AFAIK the TPMS uses the ABS sensor to check for any wheel that is spinning at a different speed than the others.

It does not work if all the wheels deflate at the same rate. This happened to a mate of mine. He never noticed that his low profile tyres were going flat. All tyres and all alloys destroyed.

Last edited:
Hi, if it is the second generation system fitted to the 8V then it should be able to detect simultaneous under-inflation in up to all four tires using spectrum analysis of individual wheels and this is performed within the software. Thus I would hope that the new A3 was using the newer version...

AFAIK the TPMS uses the ABS sensor to check for any wheel that is spinning at a different speed than the others.

It does not work if all the wheels deflate at the same rate. This happened to a mate of mine. He never noticed that his low profile tyres were going flat. All tyres and all alloys destroyed.

I thought it got a 'base' rotation in the first 15 mins of driving, then compared to that. That's what the handbook suggests anyway.

It's called driving, stop on a hill and hold by balancing the clutch, stop on a hill and hold with the foot brake, stop on a hill and hold with the hand brake (and being electric you don't even need to release it) all very easy.

Thanks Battlekrapz for the mini review, makes sense.

car does it for you so you can rest those legs

Great if you want to pay for a new clutch regularly!

Why don't these things apply with an automatic? It's called a convenience feature, it avoids you having to do those things. Just like with an automatic.

I assume you haven't bothered speccing it then, sounds like you are one of those who moan about technology somehow taking people's ability to drive away?

no that's me, but ive specced quite a few tech driving aid items mainly cause im getting lazy and old and spend a lot of time in traffic