Hold Assist / S Tronic

SJR88

Reaction score
Hi. I specced the Hold Assist option due to an A6 courtesey car having it (where it worked quite smooth and comfortable - just as the normal parking brake feels when that deactivates), however on my car it's quite uncomfortable when the hold assist deactivates when you press the accelerator, the car sort of jerks, and it's very noticeable, passengers actually jerk forward a bit! I thought maybe it just needed wearing in because it's so new but I've ended up switching it off because it's too annoying. Any advice?

Also a separate issue, when I come to a stop and ease off the brake slightly to come to a smoother stop the car revs, the needle jumps up and then goes back down... I've never noticed this on other DSG or S Tronics I've had before. Is it normal?

That sounds odd... My S-tronic with hold assist is super smooth to release and no revving anomoly. Only thing I've noticed is that if I'm over gentle with the throttle when in reverse the hold assist stutters momentarily but only very occasionally. If I'm positive with the throttle it releases smoothly. Sounds like a trip to the dealer to get the software checked...

Thanks for your advice. It definitely doesn't feel right. I'm gonna have to try it for a few days so I can be 100% sure it's as bad as I think it is.

That sounds odd... My S-tronic with hold assist is super smooth to release and no revving anomoly. Only thing I've noticed is that if I'm over gentle with the throttle when in reverse the hold assist stutters momentarily but only very occasionally. If I'm positive with the throttle it releases smoothly. Sounds like a trip to the dealer to get the software checked...

I have the same problem. I put the gas pedal down and there is a delay, causing the card to joke forward as you described.

That seems to be more of an issue when the parking brake had been applied and then you pull away and get the issue as described, with hill assist (green light on) it should be just like holding the foot brake, in fact the brake lights remain on with hold assist and s-tronic.

My parking brake is actually smoother than the hold assist, it's definitely not normal is it.

That seems to be more of an issue when the parking brake had been applied and then you pull away and get the issue as described, with hill assist (green light on) it should be just like holding the foot brake, in fact the brake lights remain on with hold assist and s-tronic.

My parking brake is actually smoother than the hold assist, it's definitely not normal is it.

Certainly does not seem to be normal, I did not order the hill assist options on mine as I felt it a waste, but I did drive a demo for 24 hours with it and it was always smooth.

Last edited:
Mine is super smooth. Forget its on most of the time.

Last edited:
My wife got caught out when reversing because she always releases her seat belt (so she can see better). Of course the HA then cancels and the parking brake goes on, and then she wondered why the car wouldn't move as she needed to switch off the brake. At least I think that's the sequence if events that happened!

Stee - try a double tap on the accelerator to set off. First one will release the brake and second one to pull away. With practice you can combine these almost to a two step 'cadence accelerator'. If that doesn't work then a dealer visit.

It can be jerky if you are impatient with it eg 'nothing happening so add some more pedal' especially when reversing up a slight incline.

Needle jump - I have this sometimes if I stop quickly. It's only a token blip but I think it is as the clutch disengages so the creep and hold assist aren't fighting each other.

John.

Last edited:
It is super smooth in the A6 because of the torque converter auto gearbox vs the DSG but also because the A6 is a LOT heavier, which dampens any jerkiness.

As pointed out above, there is a trick. One light tap on the accelerator pedal will disengage the brake, and allow you to pull away smoothly.
Your passengers shouldn't even notice.
The last four cars I've had have got an electronic brake, three with HA and I love it.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll keep trying it for a few more days and I'll try it how some of you have advised. I tried it this morning and it was smooth the odd time but mostly not. It's just the fact the parking brake is smoother that was bugging me because if anything I thought that would be more noticeable over hold assist.

Hi. I specced the Hold Assist option due to an A6 courtesey car having it (where it worked quite smooth and comfortable - just as the normal parking brake feels when that deactivates), however on my car it's quite uncomfortable when the hold assist deactivates when you press the accelerator, the car sort of jerks, and it's very noticeable, passengers actually jerk forward a bit! I thought maybe it just needed wearing in because it's so new but I've ended up switching it off because it's too annoying. Any advice?

Also a separate issue, when I come to a stop and ease off the brake slightly to come to a smoother stop the car revs, the needle jumps up and then goes back down... I've never noticed this on other DSG or S Tronics I've had before. Is it normal?

Sorry mate but I have exactly the same issue. I had my S3 back in the dealers in its first month only to be told its 'within tolerance'.

I actually find that applying the handbrake, after hold assist kicks in, allows the car to move off more smoothly (although not smooth enough the majority of the time). I find the hold assist to be an absolute pain - there is just no smoothness to it whatsoever (bar the odd occasion). Bizarrely, the gradient of the road can make a difference as to how smooth it releases and downhill releases are a lot smoother than up hill. That said I now release the brake manually in reverse to stop the jerking backwards motion.

I have tried all the 'double tap' techniques etc and to be honest they only work on the odd occasion - would that have been one of the occasions when it releases smoothly anyway? I dunno. Part of my reasoning for S-Tronic was the smoothness around town due to my increased town work. I genuinely regret not going manual, I actually find myself driving the gearbox more than the car. Its taken away a whole lot of enjoyment from the car.

For those who are lucky enough to not have the issue, then I'm in envy. The car I test drove didn't have the issue either. Mine will definitely be heading back into the dealers in the next month when I can find the time. Just be interested if yours ends up back at the dealers what they assess. Just hope it subsides a little for you and it doesn't get that far.

Thanks a lot for that, it's really useful to know that it could be a fault rather than just a way of driving it. I've been trying different things looking at everyone's advice and it's definitely hit and miss. One minute I think it's fixed it's self and the next minute it's a strong jolt. I get the reverse thing, which I could live with but this is just annoying. As for the S Tronic in general it's definitely not perfect but for me the majority of time it's quite fun and easy to drive with personally.

I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem but if you keep at them hopefully they will look into it more for you, and the more people complain they'll realise it's obviously a problem for people. Which dealer will you be taking it to?

Sorry mate but I have exactly the same issue. I had my S3 back in the dealers in its first month only to be told its 'within tolerance'.

I actually find that applying the handbrake, after hold assist kicks in, allows the car to move off more smoothly (although not smooth enough the majority of the time). I find the hold assist to be an absolute pain - there is just no smoothness to it whatsoever (bar the odd occasion). Bizarrely, the gradient of the road can make a difference as to how smooth it releases and downhill releases are a lot smoother than up hill. That said I now release the brake manually in reverse to stop the jerking backwards motion.

I have tried all the 'double tap' techniques etc and to be honest they only work on the odd occasion - would that have been one of the occasions when it releases smoothly anyway? I dunno. Part of my reasoning for S-Tronic was the smoothness around town due to my increased town work. I genuinely regret not going manual, I actually find myself driving the gearbox more than the car. Its taken away a whole lot of enjoyment from the car.

For those who are lucky enough to not have the issue, then I'm in envy. The car I test drove didn't have the issue either. Mine will definitely be heading back into the dealers in the next month when I can find the time. Just be interested if yours ends up back at the dealers what they assess. Just hope it subsides a little for you and it doesn't get that far.

Had similar issues on my manual after 6 months, however my friend is a master tech so got to chat to him first and he changed clutch sensor switch although not going to help as you have an s-tronic

I understand that the HA can be adjusted using VCDS to a more "gentle" take up. There are 3 settings - Normal, Early and Late so a change to Early maybe a solution? If you have Stop/Start on then there is an additional factor as the car has to fire up, then release the brake and then pull away. I personally have disconnected Stop/Start (using Kufatec device) but the pull-away is not super smooth. Strangely enough it is better if the car is pointing up a slight slope and then it cannot be felt.