Hold Assist Retrofit.

Can’t edit my post above for some reason.

So I’ve gone out to the car with the laptop and enabled the system via VCDS(as per the old post) everything worked great(green light, system working) turned the car off, and came inside. Went back out and it’s now saying parking brake error and auto hold disabled . Anyone got any ideas?

Well I’ve enabled mine without the switch no codes but it’s not working.. any ideas?

Update got it now saying auto hold unavailable with 2 codes. First is hold switch light out. Second basic settings missing.

The last update I got it working with the coding from original post. But without the button you also need 03-abs>adaptions>Monitoring of auto hold switch light changed from 7 to 0.

That cures the handbrake fault code.

Reactions: sentinal13, RJ-8V, rcnacura and 1 other person
I've just completed my retrofit, with switch included. Thanks to dandav1985 and all who have contributed. Works great!

IMG 20190314 200929915

Reactions: dp_motley and dannyboy1985
Question: I’ve done the auto hold on my sportback and works great! My mate has a saloon and we can’t seem to change the transmission in long coding currently 61 not 41. Also, the fault for missing auto hold switch won’t go away even with changing the monitor from 7 to 0 any ideas? Currently just going to reset for now unsure if it will work leaving it at 61. If it for sure needs changing could that one bite need a different access code? Only used 24990 so far. @DJAlix

Regards, Danny

How did you get the wiring through the firewall and into the plug. Been trying for a while now but no luck.
My car is LHD, so I'm not sure if RHD cars have the same hole in the same place at the left side footwell. Maybe it's easier to find from the engine compartment side, after removing the battery. In LHD cars the hole is used by the clutch pedal's master cylinder in manual cars, so it's unused and covered by a grommet in automatic models. I've used it to pass the wires for the Auto Hold and for front fog lights. The thread on front fog retrofit has some pics of how the hole and grommet look like in a LHD cars:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/front-fog-lights-retrofit-audi-a3-8v-2015-us.255379/

My car is LHD, so I'm not sure if RHD cars have the same hole in the same place at the left side footwell. Maybe it's easier to find from the engine compartment side, after removing the battery. In LHD cars the hole is used by the clutch pedal's master cylinder in manual cars, so it's unused and covered by a grommet in automatic models. I've used it to pass the wires for the Auto Hold and for front fog lights. The thread on front fog retrofit has some pics of how the hole and grommet look like in a LHD cars:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/front-fog-lights-retrofit-audi-a3-8v-2015-us.255379/

No luck, unfortunately.

Has anyone done the retrofit that can give me some pointers on where to feed the cables?

TIA

Yes, works fine without the button.
Thank you for your answer.

So good to hear it works on a facelift model, without the button (I want it to be always in, so no need for the button).
What specific coding to use?
No fault codes?
(Little confused, reading the previous 4 pages)

Thank you for your answer.

So good to hear it works on a facelift model, without the button (I want it to be always in, so no need for the button).
What specific coding to use?
No fault codes?
(Little confused, reading the previous 4 pages)

Mine was pfl I think there are a few that have it working on fl. It’s not working on saloon though. Same coding as in first post if you get codes something hasn’t changed correctly.

Reactions: sentinal13 and rcnacura
Mine was pfl I think there are a few that have it working on fl. It’s not working on saloon though. Same coding as in first post if you get codes something hasn’t changed correctly.
I have it all installed in my saloon, however the button doesn't actually do anything, just the light turns on and off after I put my seat belt on and parking brake off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have it all installed in my saloon, however the button doesn't actually do anything, just the light turns on and off after I put my seat belt on and parking brake off.

Seat belt action seems to be ok. Looks like you may have a faulty connection of the switch (pin 1) to the ABS connector (pin 23). Maybe you could check it using VCDS Advanced Measuring Values on the ABS module.

Reactions: rcnacura
Seat belt action seems to be ok. Looks like you may have a faulty connection of the switch (pin 1) to the ABS connector (pin 23). Maybe you could check it using VCDS Advanced Measuring Values on the ABS module.
Do you know the name of the value I should check? When I do test of the light it works normally.

Do you know the name of the value I should check? When I do test of the light it works normally.

I didn't test it myself but I suppose there is a value for the switch with a meaningful name (unless it's in German) in VCDS.

Reactions: rcnacura
The last update I got it working with the coding from original post. But without the button you also need 03-abs>adaptions>Monitoring of auto hold switch light changed from 7 to 0.

That cures the handbrake fault code.

How are you finding it ? I am thinking of doing this mod but dont want the switch. any other codes required ? When do you code the monitoring of hold light 7 - 0 ?
Is there a doc that shows the steps without the switch ?

Last edited:
How are you finding it ? I am thinking of doing this mod but dont want the switch. any other codes required ? When do you code the monitoring of hold light 7 - 0 ?
Is there a doc that shows the steps without the switch ?

Would be interesting to know this, as I cannot get rid of the error message - PFL ‘15 model.

Hello Lads and lasses,

I have now completed the hold assist retrofit, thought i'd pass on the information. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hold Assist Audi A3 S3 8V

1. Remove the Glovebox, there is also a bolt behind the CD changer and disconnect all the wires to the CD changer, LED light and the glove box. There is also wiring to disconnect from the passenger airbag switch.

clip_image002.jpg

2. Disassemble the centre console. For this purpose the use of the centre console has to be expanded. Lever the leather of the gearshift knob upwards. Pull the trim panel A upwards and unplug it. Pull the panel B backwards.

Remove this panel with an integrated MMI control unit. Loosen this control unit together with the chromed frame of the shift lever.​

3. Disconnect the existing blank cover, replace it by inserting the hold assist button it will click into place.

4. Now fit the Cable into the Hold Assist Button.

5. Connect the two short individual wires to the 10-pin connector of the parking brake button.

WHITE to be connected to PIN 5 parking brake switch

BROWN to be connected to PIN 6 parking brake, Make this with a crimp or soldered connection.

clip_image006.jpg

6. Route the cable set into the passenger footwell, To do this, simply dismantle the climate control part and / or the push button bar. Both components are simply plugged in.

clip_image009.png

Removing the button strip: Use the standard release clips

7. Wiring of Passenger footwell / fuse box Route the cable set into the Passenger footwell and from there continue towards Fuse Box.

Route the red / white lead into the fuse box in the Passenger footwell.

Please check the fuse carrier in advance for the ignition system (depending on the model year). Insert the cable on the fuse box and secure it with a 5A vehicle fuse.

If there is no free slot (depending on the existing vehicle equipment), please install a new secure slot or solder the cable to an existing line. The other cable set must be routed along the spout into the engine compartment. Open the bonnet.

8. Route the cable set from the Passenger footwell into the engine compartment. Remove the battery.To do this, loosen the screw of the holder and lift out and remove the battery.

After you have removed the battery, you can see a spout that leads from the interior to the engine compartment - pass the cable set through it.

9. Cable routing ABS control unit Route the cable along the existing cable guides to the ESP / ABS control unit.

clip_image013.png
INFO: The installation location and the accessibility of the ABS control unit vary according to the motor installed.

clip_image017.png
10. Install the cables on the ABS control unit when installing the plug in the ABS control unit, ensure that the lock is correct. This plug must be 100% unlocked - by moving the pink insert it has to be opened! Disconnect the connector and remove it from the control unit.

Lever out the gray "lever".

Remove the black "cover" - press the catches and remove them (remove the cable ties).

Move the pink insert to release the pins.

Plug in the pins

YELLOW in T46a / PIN 23 ESP control unit

GRAY in T46a / PIN 32 ESP control unit

11. The installation is then completed and the assembly is carried out in the reverse order

VCDS

Select control unit address 03- ABS

Enter access authorization / login code (24990)

Select adaptation: Set the Auto HOLD function status or Auto HOLD functional status to Always active Save - Leave control unit.

Select adaptation Set Auto Hold Fuse or Auto Hold Function to active Save - Leave control unit.

11 Select the following HEX values:

Change byte 08 to 03

Change byte 19 to C0

Change byte 23 to F7

Change Byte 25 depending on the gearbox: 41 for automatic gearbox or 43 for manual transmission

13. Fault memory Delete vehicle and perform function test.

Any Questions please just ask.

Cheers Dan
can you please email on shaheen.msain@yahoo.in

I’m pretty sure they’re emailed to you. It’s simple enough that even in German you can understand what you need to do. Just google how to remove the trim for the centre console and you’re good to go.

I’m pretty sure they’re emailed to you. It’s simple enough that even in German you can understand what you need to do. Just google how to remove the trim for the centre console and you’re good to go.
So best bet ordering the wiring from that german website and do it all from there?

Nice one buddy thanks for help :)

Reactions: Kondax
So best bet ordering the wiring from that german website and do it all from there?

Nice one buddy thanks for help :)
Yes mate, it’s easy enough to find help if you do run into any issues though - loads of people do this retrofit

How much does it cost for the wiring to retrofit this and where are you guys getting the parts from?

Revisiting this as not having Auto Hold continues to annoy me more and more - especially using the wifes new A6 that has it - and given I am now keeping my car until Aug 2020 I am very tempted to buy another retrofit kit.
Last time I spent £150 on one, couldnt fit it (a bit beyond my ability) and sold it for less than half.
Not wanting to waste money again I am looking for someone in the north west who can fit the kit for me and I can put a bit of cash their way. An autoelectician wants at least £200 so not an option!
Any help appreeciated.

I would also be looking at someone in midlands to be able to fit and code for me. Anyone about? give us a shout please :D

Revisiting this as not having Auto Hold continues to annoy me more and more - especially using the wifes new A6 that has it - and given I am now keeping my car until Aug 2020 I am very tempted to buy another retrofit kit.
Last time I spent £150 on one, couldnt fit it (a bit beyond my ability) and sold it for less than half.
Not wanting to waste money again I am looking for someone in the north west who can fit the kit for me and I can put a bit of cash their way. An autoelectician wants at least £200 so not an option!
Any help appreeciated.
I ask £295.00 for the retrofit including the parts, so £200 is a bit much but its a time consuming retrofit. Am based in London, Muswell Hill, if you fancy a day out. Lots of inclines to test your HHA with around here :)

Is there anyway to code hold assist for forward only and not when reverse? It's super annoying while parking when you're slowly backing up and it just engages...

I ask £295.00 for the retrofit including the parts, so £200 is a bit much but its a time consuming retrofit. Am based in London, Muswell Hill, if you fancy a day out. Lots of inclines to test your HHA with around here :)

How long does it take you to fit/code it all in?

Thanks for offer but to far from lpool

Reactions: DJAlix
couple of hours

Do you know of anyone you'd trust to do the job north of the border up in Scotland?

I had HHA on my Leon Cupra and mk7 R ,really miss it on my FL RS3 but London is a long way to go to get it retrofitted

Last edited: